meirman

Default anti-heat window film

A friend's house faces west and it gets so hot in the afternoon that
his rather new and just recharged central AC can't keep up with it.
Much hotter than other places. Cathedral ceiling.

All I can think of is anti-heat window film. Does this work? Can he
do it himself? He's afraid it will look tacky after he does it.

Or he won't be able to see out the window. Does it look as dark as
tinted windows on cars do, or are they dark on purpose and the
anti-heat part isn't so dark?

Any recommendations for a good brand or where to get it?

Thanks a lot.

Oh, should he stop using his ceiling fan in the summer?

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Pagan

"meirman" wrote in message
news
A friend's house faces west and it gets so hot in the afternoon that
his rather new and just recharged central AC can't keep up with it.
Much hotter than other places. Cathedral ceiling.

All I can think of is anti-heat window film. Does this work? Can he
do it himself? He's afraid it will look tacky after he does it.

Depends on what he has for windows. If he has newer low E double windows,
film isn't likely to do anything. It may be poor or lack of insulation in
the walls facing West. I'm told insulation can easily be added to walls.
Check Google.

With a window film kit, all you need is a hair dryer and a steady hand.

www.doitbest.com

Thanks a lot.

Oh, should he stop using his ceiling fan in the summer?

Depends. He could try it and see if the light breeze cools him off as well
as AC.

He should also check his registers. They might be closed, or the air
otherwise blocked by a kinked duct.

He should consider planting a couple trees in front of his house. That will
save him money on AC bills, make his home look nicer, and give him a good
place to hang a hammock.

Pagan

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:15:27 -0700 "Pagan"
posted:

"meirman" wrote in message
news
A friend's house faces west and it gets so hot in the afternoon that
his rather new and just recharged central AC can't keep up with it.
Much hotter than other places. Cathedral ceiling.

All I can think of is anti-heat window film. Does this work? Can he
do it himself? He's afraid it will look tacky after he does it.

Depends on what he has for windows. If he has newer low E double windows,

Probably not. The house was built in the 70's or 60's. He has an
almost bay window with lots of 12" panes.

film isn't likely to do anything. It may be poor or lack of insulation in
the walls facing West. I'm told insulation can easily be added to walls.
Check Google.

He has a little window to the side of his front door and says he can
really feel the heat in front of it when the summer sun is shining.
Made a curtain for that one, but wants to look out the bay windwo.

With a window film kit, all you need is a hair dryer and a steady hand.

Or he won't be able to see out the window. Does it look as dark as
tinted windows on cars do, or are they dark on purpose and the
anti-heat part isn't so dark?

Any recommendations for a good brand or where to get it?

www.doitbest.com

Good idea. I relayed all this to him.

Hadn't found it yet when I posteed but also found these. Both sell
retail.

http://www.gordonglassusa.com/listing.htm?cd=341 This looks good and
certainly affordable, and they ship. (I use "shipping" as a search
word.) No samples, at least of what he wants.

http://www.concordwindowfilms.com/ also this. You can also buy a
sample pack for 10 dollars that includes a ten dollar coupon for any
other package of film.

The price seems to be between 33 and 80 dollars for the film, plus
shipping. Not a lot if it is pleasing.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks again.

I'm happy to have heard your ideas, and I'm still very interested if
someone knows anything bad about this idea.

Oh, should he stop using his ceiling fan in the summer?

Depends. He could try it and see if the light breeze cools him off as well
as AC.

He should also check his registers. They might be closed, or the air
otherwise blocked by a kinked duct.

He'll see this.

He should consider planting a couple trees in front of his house. That will
save him money on AC bills, make his home look nicer, and give him a good
place to hang a hammock.

They planted a magnolia tree this year, but in front of the bedroom
for some reason. There's more room on that side and I guess he
thought charging the AC would solve the problem.

Pagan

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Pagan

"meirman" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:15:27 -0700 "Pagan"
posted:

"meirman" wrote in message
news
A friend's house faces west and it gets so hot in the afternoon that
his rather new and just recharged central AC can't keep up with it.
Much hotter than other places. Cathedral ceiling.

All I can think of is anti-heat window film. Does this work? Can he
do it himself? He's afraid it will look tacky after he does it.

Depends on what he has for windows. If he has newer low E double

windows,

Probably not. The house was built in the 70's or 60's. He has an
almost bay window with lots of 12" panes.

The low E windows, which is what I had installed a couple years ago, are
damn impressive. You get all the light, and almost none of the heat. It
makes a HUGE difference, especially with large windows.

[...]

If I recall correctly, www.doitbest.com, which is the Do It Center's retail
web site (they have several stores in L.A.) has them significantly cheaper.
Whether they're any better, I don't know.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks again.

I'm happy to have heard your ideas, and I'm still very interested if
someone knows anything bad about this idea.

Me too. Other than having plastic over your windows, I really don't see
anything too bad. If done with care, it's unlikely they'll be very
noticable.

Oh, should he stop using his ceiling fan in the summer?

Depends. He could try it and see if the light breeze cools him off as

well
as AC.

He should also check his registers. They might be closed, or the air
otherwise blocked by a kinked duct.

He'll see this.

He should consider planting a couple trees in front of his house. That

will
save him money on AC bills, make his home look nicer, and give him a good
place to hang a hammock.

They planted a magnolia tree this year, but in front of the bedroom
for some reason. There's more room on that side and I guess he
thought charging the AC would solve the problem.

I just had a brand new central air system installed in my house, and I still
planted trees in front, as well has installed ceiling fans, a whole house
fan, new windows, storm doors, and I'm not done yet. Next will be
insulation under the house, in the walls, and when the new roof goes in
within a couple years, new attic insulation, soffit vents, and solar roof
vents.

I don't believe cranking up the AC is the answer to anything, and my goal is
to use it as little as possible. These things cost a bloody fortune to run,
not to mention the wear and tear of pushing it to cool a virtual greenhouse,
or the reduced humidity which can irritate the lungs, eyes, and skin, and
dry out any fancy wood in the home. (of course, not all of this stuff was
done just for energy reasons, but also ascetetic and functional
reasons...house is over 60 years old)

Another tree or two would be the cheapest way to help his hot house, after
the window film. Heck, even some tall bushes would help.

I'm only harping on this because I'm assuming, with his window film idea,
that he's not made of money. I hate to see a guy spend hundreds of dollars
feeding an AC unit when he doesn't have to.

Pagan

Pagan

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:16:13 -0700 "Pagan"
posted:

I don't believe cranking up the AC is the answer to anything, and my goal is
to use it as little as possible. These things cost a bloody fortune to run,

My house is newer, 1979. Most years, I haven't used the AC at all.
The summer I moved in, I slept in the basement when it was hot, and
didn't go upstairs until the morning, to get fresh clothes.

Then I put in a roof fan. It lowered the temp of the second floor at
least 10^F. Turns on by itself, off by itself. Although I do have an
override and I turn it off in the fall and spring to use the heat of
the day to heat my house for the night.

Strange though. The first motor lasted 5 years. The second, which I
ordered from the manufacturer of the fan, about 1. The third, from a
local motor store, about 5; the fourth about 2: the current one about
5 so far. Plus another 4 years I can't account for, but I know some
lasted 5 or 6 or 7 and others 1 or 2.

Rain hits the roof and bounces through the coarse screen that
surrounds the fan, or hits the screen directly. And mist lands on the
attic floor, and I guess on the fan motor too. Haven't figured out
how to protect the motor without making it overheat while running.
But still it's strange how long some last and how little others.

At least the fan motor is replaceable from the inside, and every time
I do it faster than before.

That friend has a cathedral ceiling and there isn't much space in his
attic (24 inches?)

not to mention the wear and tear of pushing it to cool a virtual greenhouse,
or the reduced humidity which can irritate the lungs, eyes, and skin, and
dry out any fancy wood in the home. (of course, not all of this stuff was
done just for energy reasons, but also ascetetic and functional
reasons...house is over 60 years old)

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Joseph Meehan

meirman wrote:
A friend's house faces west and it gets so hot in the afternoon that
his rather new and just recharged central AC can't keep up with it.
Much hotter than other places. Cathedral ceiling.

All I can think of is anti-heat window film. Does this work? Can he
do it himself? He's afraid it will look tacky after he does it.

Or he won't be able to see out the window. Does it look as dark as
tinted windows on cars do, or are they dark on purpose and the
anti-heat part isn't so dark?

Any recommendations for a good brand or where to get it?

Thanks a lot.

Oh, should he stop using his ceiling fan in the summer?

Meirman

If I may make a comment or two.

First, the best solution to heat coming in the window from the sun is
low-e glass.

Films do work, but not nearly as well. They also have two drawbacks.
Even if properly installed they may have problems pealing off, cracking and
may be difficult to remove. They also have been known to crack some windows
due to the heat stress on the windows.

I am not saying not to use them, but be sure to recognize the potential
problems. There are times they are the only economically feasible solution.
At the worst they may convince you to replace what you have with low-e after
if the existing windows are damaged. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

meirman wrote:

A friend's house faces west and it gets so hot in the afternoon that
his rather new and just recharged central AC can't keep up with it.
Much hotter than other places. Cathedral ceiling.

All I can think of is anti-heat window film...

You might consider screens made with 80%-sunblocking black shadecloth.
Greenhouse suppliers sell it in wide rolls for about 20 cents/ft^2.

Nick

Stretch

If the rest of the house cools OK, he has an air balance problem. Go
to the Natonal Comfort Institute web site. Ask if there is a member in
your area who can do air balancing. www.nationalinstitute.com.
Putting Freon in is not always the answer.

Stretch

twstanley

We are putting film on our west side and north side windows this week,
the Gila film is supposed to block 99% of the UV and 70% of the heat
while also helping to retain the inside heat during the winter. We
have already done two of the four windows in a bay window in our
office, the glare reduction is very impressive. I am looking forward
to having them all done.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:03:08 GMT "Joseph Meehan"
posted:

If I may make a comment or two.

You may, and thanks to you and everyone.

First, the best solution to heat coming in the window from the sun is
low-e glass.

Films do work, but not nearly as well. They also have two drawbacks.
Even if properly installed they may have problems pealing off, cracking and
may be difficult to remove. They also have been known to crack some windows
due to the heat stress on the windows.

I didn't think to say that these windows are all 12" by 9" panes, I
think it is. Together they are big, but no single one is. Could there
be enough heat stress to crack a window?

I am not saying not to use them, but be sure to recognize the potential
problems. There are times they are the only economically feasible solution.
At the worst they may convince you to replace what you have with low-e after
if the existing windows are damaged. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Roy Starrin

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 02:55:34 -0400, meirman in
response, queried:

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:03:08 GMT "Joseph Meehan"
posted:

Films do work, but not nearly as well. They also have two drawbacks.
Even if properly installed they may have problems pealing off, cracking and
may be difficult to remove. They also have been known to crack some windows
due to the heat stress on the windows.

I didn't think to say that these windows are all 12" by 9" panes, I
think it is. Together they are big, but no single one is. Could there
be enough heat stress to crack a window?

My understanding is that double/triple paned windows are the ones, and
film installers will not to install on "thermopane" windows

Jmagerl

"Roy Starrin" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 02:55:34 -0400, meirman in
response, queried:

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:03:08 GMT "Joseph Meehan"
posted:

Films do work, but not nearly as well. They also have two drawbacks.
Even if properly installed they may have problems pealing off, cracking
and
may be difficult to remove. They also have been known to crack some
windows
due to the heat stress on the windows.

I didn't think to say that these windows are all 12" by 9" panes, I
think it is. Together they are big, but no single one is. Could there
be enough heat stress to crack a window?

My understanding is that double/triple paned windows are the ones, and
film installers will not to install on "thermopane" windows

if its double or triple pane windows, check your window warrenty. Window
film will void most multipane window warrenties. My experience has been that
films make a marginal difference. and that ceiling fans and a properly
balanced cooling system help the most. Best: Don't let the heat in in first
place. Awnings, solar screens, trees all work better than the films.
Curtains help some, but because they are on the inside still end up heating
the room.

Tony Hwang

Jmagerl wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Films do make a difference. But it can crack the glass when done wrong.
I have films applied to my West, South facing windows, made difference.
My house has lots of windows. Designed like solarioum. Except North
side, walls are mostly windows. 3M films applied 10 years ago are still
holding. No peeling no fading......
Tony
Tony