Digging out crawl space - Power tools?

Old April 2nd 08, 03:44 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Digging out crawl space - Power tools?

On Apr 2, 6:29*am, "Bill" wrote:
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about the
digging part?

If its hard pack dirt rent a demolition hammer with a spade bit to get
everything loose fast.
Old April 2nd 08, 03:52 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:

The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about the
digging part?

Depends on how much you want to spend on rental vs. how much back
breaking work you want to do, as well as how much rock there is in the
mix. You can rent a towable vacuum excavator from places like United
Rentals that will do the job in a day if you don't have big rocks to
deal with. These units will suck up ~500 gal worth of dirt at a time
between dumps.
Old April 2nd 08, 04:10 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

" wrote:

what does the OP plan on doing down there? probably easier to lift the
floor........

digging out may not be the most cost effective approach

It is absolutely the most *cost* effective. Removal costs are nil.
Whether it makes sense in the long run is entirely up to the digger
(and those effected.]

My basement excavation- like my summetime exterior landscaping by
shovel- is a combination of hobby/exercise/home improvement. The
digging is free. The footers and piers cast little. It is still
cheaper than drinking beer & buying a health club membership.

Jim
Old April 2nd 08, 04:20 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 11:10 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
" wrote:

what does the OP plan on doing down there? probably easier to lift the
floor........

digging out may not be the most cost effective approach

It is absolutely the most *cost* effective. Removal costs are nil.
Whether it makes sense in the long run is entirely up to the digger
(and those effected.]

My basement excavation- like my summetime exterior landscaping by
shovel- is a combination of hobby/exercise/home improvement. The
digging is free. The footers and piers cast little. It is still
cheaper than drinking beer & buying a health club membership.

You must drink cheap beer. The last three words I don't
recognize.

Old April 2nd 08, 05:28 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 7:29*am, "Bill" wrote:
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about the
digging part?

check the depth of your footings.
you don't want to undermine them.

Old April 2nd 08, 05:47 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:

The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make this
easier?

A friend of mine turned his crawlspace into a basement using dynamite...

Nick

Old April 2nd 08, 08:04 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Crawl space work a lot of times involves laying on your back or side. It's
not always easy.

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

What work are you going to do in there? With only 3 feet of headroom
there's no standing and barely enough room for sitting.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Old April 3rd 08, 04:55 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I
need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work.

Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will make
this easier?

I suppose I could find a conveyor belt for dirt removal. But what about
the digging part?

Bill, I am working on my crawl space. Going for 42" depth so I can move
around and fix plumbing, insulation, HVAC ducts etc.
I do have a Bosch demo hammer but have not had to use it much. I dug a deep
ramp with my Kubota alongside the foundation. I opened up the foundation,
just like you had. Got some "flexible" conveyors on Craigslist. These
expand from 7 feet long to 35 feet and can snake around obstacles. Bought
eight 27 gallon plastic totes.

Starting out was difficult for the first few feet. Now I simply sit on a
stool, use a full length spade and one foot to dig horizontally into the
bank, fill the 8 totes and send them out on the conveyor. My biggest
problem, due to age, is getting the totes out from under the house and not
the digging. Of course the conveyor takes care of all that. I simply give
the string of 8 totes a push and they fly out from under and even empty
themselves. After each group of 8 totes I do have to get out from under (I
can walk bent over in 42" space) and collect the empty totes. After about
10 round trips I remove all the excess dumpings with my Kubota and lose it
on my 4 acres.

While my dirt (bottom 2 feet) is quite stiff, I stopped using the Bosch
hammer. Taking a horizontal slice against a vertical bank (the slice is
only about 2 inches deep) while sitting down, is very easy. You would be
surprised how much force you can exert with a sharp spade, push of the foot
and a little wiggling.

Write me if you need any more info.

And yes, as many of the replies stated, I have quit going to the gym.

Ivan Vegvary

Old April 3rd 08, 01:36 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

-snip-
eight 27 gallon plastic totes.

-snip-
My biggest
problem, due to age, is getting the totes out from under the house and not
the digging.

What? You can't throw 27 gallons of dirt around? BG I hope you
meant 27 quarts- or I'm feeling even whimpier than when I started
going for 3 gallons instead of 5. [though I'm carrying mine up a
flight of stairs- of course that's 3 gallons in each hand.g]

-snip-
After about
10 round trips I remove all the excess dumpings with my Kubota and lose it
on my 4 acres.

Those little machines are handy. I had my brother-in-law's Kubota for
a few weeks a couple years ago. Sure speeds up the process.

While my dirt (bottom 2 feet) is quite stiff, I stopped using the Bosch
hammer. Taking a horizontal slice against a vertical bank (the slice is
only about 2 inches deep) while sitting down, is very easy. You would be
surprised how much force you can exert with a sharp spade, push of the foot
and a little wiggling.

*Sharp* spade is a good point. I've got a great little short handled
landscaping spade that is serrated, even. Though it doesn't help
much in my clay. You can peel about 1/4 inch off- but any more and it
is spade bit time. [till I get to the wet spots- but that's a whole
nother headache.]

Jim
Old April 3rd 08, 01:51 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

-snip-
[...]

The vacuum excavators I noted in my other post would make the process
much faster and easier. Just put the suction hose where you want to dig
and start jabbing that area with the air lance. After sucking out some
500 gal of dirt, take a break to dump the vacuum container and then go
at it again.

Drying out a crawl space Charlie[_2_] Home Repair 6 July 31st 07 12:58 PM
Water in Crawl Space [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 7th 07 03:50 AM
Crawl space excavation Ivan Vegvary Home Repair 21 March 23rd 07 01:26 AM
CRAWL SPACE theo Home Repair 3 May 16th 05 01:32 PM
NEC question - crawl space furnace power mark Ransley Home Repair 3 August 11th 03 04:21 AM