Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Digging out crawl space - Power tools?

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 05:29:48 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:11:47 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In front of my house, someone needs to jackhammer out a piece of

blacktop 6 feet long by 4 inches thick, by 4 inches wide, I think that

would be good exercise but the only time I used an electric jackhammer,

I was tired in 30 seconds.

Blacktop 4 inches thick? unlikely. What's under it? Hope it's not concrete.

The original blacktop. Repaved once, patched once. I had a pro
out here last week -- he came out the morning after I called, even
though he knew the job was smaller than his company would want to do --
and he said it needs to be cut out, but his minimum was 3000 dollars.
Gave me a list of others with lower minimums, maybe $2000. I asked
him about doing it with a hammer and chisel and he said blacktop was
almost as hard as cement. Of course a pro in most fields thinks its
best if a pro does the work.

Basically you need to cut a 4 inch wide trench six feet long?

Yeah. It's open to a drain on one side, but the original drain opening
is obstructed by the extra blacktop about 4 inches high. The pro said
he'd never seen anything like it.

Saw cut it and pry it up, this is only an hour job. You can rent a saw.

Does the saw have a particular name? I think I read about one that one
can operate while standing up!!

I've heard you can do this with your circular saw but not tried it myself.

The same webpage mentioned this, and a diamond studded blade, but with a
7 1/4 inch saw, at most i could cut out 2 or 3 inches, and then how
would I get the rest. Less than 2 or 3 if I cut at an angle, which
somehow seems like the right thing to do. .