theo

Default CRAWL SPACE

My crawl space is damp and am worried about mushrooms comming up and
contaminating the air in the rest of the house , I ve already seen some
white stuff and am assuming it is mold , what steps should i take to clear
the matter up, someone told me to spray ant fungal spray on all the wooden
beams and they to lay down thick plastic all over the floor and walls of the
crawl space.
Also the ground is sloped to one side of the basement and towards the sump
pump.

theo wrote:
My crawl space is damp and am worried about mushrooms comming up and
contaminating the air in the rest of the house , I ve already seen

some
white stuff and am assuming it is mold , what steps should i take to

clear
the matter up, someone told me to spray ant fungal spray on all the

wooden
beams and they to lay down thick plastic all over the floor and walls

of the
crawl space.
Also the ground is sloped to one side of the basement and towards

the sump
pump.

Here are some things to consider:
The surface of the ground around the building should slope so water
runs away from the building.
Water from the roof should be kept away from the building as much as
possible.
The surface of the crawl space should be at the same or higher level as
the ground outside.
If the ground is generally wet in the area, perimeter drains may be
needed to keep the crawl space dry.
Ventilation is needed to keep humidity as low as possible.
6 mil poly sheets should cover the floor of the crawl space. Lap the
edges 4 to 6 inches and seal with mastic. Lap the poly 6 to 8 inches up
piers, pipes and other interruptions and seal.

TB

stretch

Theo,

I agree with this post by t...@bellsouth, except for the ventillation
part. The air outside often has more moisture than the air in the
crawlspace, and ventillating the crawlspace can ADD moisture. It
depends on your climate and the time of year. I am including a link to
an article I wrote on drying crawlspaces. The procedure used will
enable you to determine if ventillation is right for you.

Crawlspace problems :

http://www.contractingbusiness.com/C...S=&NI L=false

Stretch
Kevin O'Neill
843-385-2220
sixfoot7 @ sccoast . net (remove spaces to email)

Sealed, insulated, conditioned crawl spaces are gaining acceptance.
Building codes have, until recently, required ventilation.
Codes now allow sealed crawl spaces if design is documented by an
engineer.
In addition to the site stretch gives, the Building Science Corporation
web site has useful info.
Since theo's crawl space has moisture problems, I focused on drying it
out.
TB