Robert Allison

Patriarch wrote:

Guess who wrote in
:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:55:58 -0600, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

I haven't been using Usenet as long as some, but I've been using it
for 20 years. Off-topic posts are not a new phenomenon, and anyone
who thinks the wreck is awash with them hasn't been around much.

That's because the percentage of idiots in this world will never
change.

While the percentage of idiots with Usenet access seems to be trending
upwards?

Well, I remember in the old days, it was a bit difficult to
set up and use an NNTP newserver even if you knew they existed.

Now you can access newsgroups via the web and setting up a
news account is childs play.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Al Reid

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:31:37 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Or maybe it's just an outlet for us.

I'll have to meditate on that.
OHMMMMMMMM...

Jokes like that will get you inducted into the Hall of shame.

I'm sure we'll all get a charge out of the induction ceremony.

Todd Fatheree wrote:
I haven't been using Usenet as long as some, but I've been using it

for 20
years. Off-topic posts are not a new phenomenon, and anyone who

thinks the
wreck is awash with them hasn't been around much.

The situation here is far from being out-of-control. However, we
do see OT threads being started here where the first article is the
ONLY article ever posted to UseNet under that username.

This makes it clear that someone is trying to bust our chain. I
supspec that Mr Miller and Mr Hinz would agree that they should
be ignored.

--

FF

toller

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Once upon a time there were giants.

On the whole this is a pretty decent group. Much of the advice is
uninformed, but there is usually some wheat mixed in with the chaff.
Other groups are troubled by lunatics and are unusable. One I visit had to
go moderated to escape it. (no, it wasn't me...)
So, be grateful for what you have.

Vic Baron

"firstjois" wrote in message
Lee Michaels wrote:

But I cut Tom a little more slack than most folks.

When he complains, he does it with such panache and style.

This is a more classy joint with him as a member.

Agreed and even though I've been around here a short time I can see that
his panache and style add a lot to this group.

Josie

Panache and style - that's a wooddorking joint, is it noT

Vic Baron

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
Patriarch wrote:
Now you can access newsgroups via the web and setting up a
news account is childs play.

And the children do play -

Charlie Self

Dave Balderstone states:

Patriarch =ADt wrote:

While the percentage of idiots with Usenet access seems to be

trending
upwards?

With AOL's dropping usenet I think we'll see a sudden decline.

It gets tiresome. It is a PITA to get on the NG, but that's only
because Google is clumsier'n hell right now.

You will see a rise in idiots, I think.

Charles Krug

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:26:58 -0600, Patriarch
wrote:

Does EVERY THREAD need to devolve into an electricity discussion?!!!
;-)

And NEVER cross the streams. It would be bad.

Lawrence Wasserman

wrote:

Does EVERY THREAD need to devolve into an electricity discussion?!!!

Wire you bringing it up, then?

Just keeping current.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Lawrence Wasserman

In article .com,
Odeen wrote:
WillR wrote:
We should be discussing things like -- oh say -- the best
way to stain cherry

That's easy. You take the blood of the person wishing to stain the
cherry (five liters - litres, Jeff - is generally adequate), thin it
with 200 proof anhydrous denatured alcohol, mix it with a #1.5 cut of
your favorite shellac and apply with a pad lubed with mineral oil.

... remainder snipped ...

You left out acetone.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:14:04 GMT, Lawrence Wasserman wrote:
wrote:

Does EVERY THREAD need to devolve into an electricity discussion?!!!

Wire you bringing it up, then?

Just keeping current.

Ah, more static. Figures.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:16:22 GMT, Lawrence Wasserman wrote:
In article .com,
Odeen wrote:
WillR wrote:
We should be discussing things like -- oh say -- the best
way to stain cherry

That's easy. You take the blood of the person wishing to stain the
cherry (five liters - litres, Jeff - is generally adequate), thin it
with 200 proof anhydrous denatured alcohol, mix it with a #1.5 cut of
your favorite shellac and apply with a pad lubed with mineral oil.

... remainder snipped ...

You left out acetone.

That takes the stain right to a liver color, doesn't it?

Unquestionably Confused

on 3/18/2005 2:21 PM Dave Hinz said the following:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:14:04 GMT, Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Wire you bringing it up, then?

Just keeping current.

Ah, more static. Figures.

I really hate puns, but I'm still getting a charge out this thread.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:28:24 GMT, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
on 3/18/2005 2:21 PM Dave Hinz said the following:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:14:04 GMT, Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Wire you bringing it up, then?

Just keeping current.

Ah, more static. Figures.

I really hate puns, but I'm still getting a charge out this thread.

Well, I'd keep an ion it, or you'll wonder wye you didn't.

gw

wrote:

Wire you bringing it up, then?

Just keeping current.

Ah, more static. Figures.

I really hate puns, but I'm still getting a charge out this thread.

Well, I'd keep an ion it, or you'll wonder wye you didn't.

I think some of the fixtures in this group have lost their grounding. I'm
going out to light up....

WillR

gw wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
=20
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:28:24 GMT, Unquestionably Confused

=20
wrote:
=20
on 3/18/2005 2:21 PM Dave Hinz said the following:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:14:04 GMT, Lawrence Wasserman

=20
wrote:
=20
Wire you bringing it up, then?

Just keeping current.

Ah, more static. Figures.

I really hate puns, but I'm still getting a charge out this thread.

Well, I'd keep an ion it, or you'll wonder wye you didn't.

=20
I think some of the fixtures in this group have lost their grounding. I=

'm
going out to light up....
=20
=20

IC

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Dave Hinz

wrote:

Wire you bringing it up, then?

Just keeping current.

Ah, more static. Figures.

I really hate puns, but I'm still getting a charge out this thread.

Well, I'd keep an ion it, or you'll wonder wye you didn't.

I think some of the fixtures in this group have lost their grounding. I'm
going out to light up....

Who are you calling a fixture there, Sparky?

wrote:

Wire you bringing it up, then?

Just keeping current.

Ah, more static. Figures.

I really hate puns, but I'm still getting a charge out this thread.

Well, I'd keep an ion it, or you'll wonder wye you didn't.

The polarity would end if somebody would just switch the subject and
everybody re fuse to discuss it anymore.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Dave Hinz
wrote:

Jokes like that will get you inducted into the Hall of shame.

Winding yourself up again, Dave?

--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green
LRod

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:59:49 -0500, "gw" wrote:

I think some of the fixtures in this group have lost their grounding. I'm
going out to light up....

I think Vito, et al, had it wrong. This group doesn't need a
moderator, it needs...
(scroll down)

are you ready?
(scroll down)

I'm really sorry about this...
(scroll down)

a conductor.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:34:04 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz
wrote:

Jokes like that will get you inducted into the Hall of shame.

Winding yourself up again, Dave?

Any more inductance jokes and I'll have to slug somebody.

Lawrence L'Hote

m...
wrote:

Wire you bringing it up, then?

Just keeping current.

Ah, more static. Figures.

I really hate puns, but I'm still getting a charge out this thread.

A helium and a hydrogen atom were walking along. The helium atom suddenly
went pale and exclaimed "I think I've lost an electron." The hydrogen atom
replied, "Are you positive?"

Larry

LRod wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:59:49 -0500, "gw" wrote:

I think some of the fixtures in this group have lost their

grounding. I'm
going out to light up....

I think Vito, et al, had it wrong. This group doesn't need a
moderator, it needs...
(scroll down)

are you ready?
(scroll down)

I'm really sorry about this...
(scroll down)

a conductor.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

And rather than everybody going positive or negative, try and remain
neutral.

Tom Watson

wrote:

I really hate puns, but I'm still getting a charge out this thread.

"What a revolting development this is!"

Chester A. Riley

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Vic Baron

wrote:

I really hate puns, but I'm still getting a charge out this thread.

"What a revolting development this is!"

This is getting too tense - need to relax so I shall chant the mantra for us
all -

Ohm mani padre Ohm

John

This thread seems to have unlimited capacitance.

Unquestionably Confused

on 3/18/2005 4:39 PM John said the following:
This thread seems to have unlimited capacitance.

Unlimited capacitance for watt?

Game, set and match! Beat that!
Mike

Todd Fatheree wrote:
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:18:12 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Tom

Watson
wrote:
Once upon a time there were giants.

I have a solution. Whenever you feel the need to read r.w., go to
Google groups and do a search for r.w. posts from the wreck's golden
age. Read until you're content and stop wasting your time on the
current group of plebians.

Ya know, Tom, nobody's forcing you to read the OT posts...

Doug - you are one of the prime movers of this political horse****
that is being visited upon the Wreck.

Okay, you have a point there. But you're not that far behind him in
dishing out the political b.s. (btw, I mostly agree with your political
bent but it doesn't belong here any more than Doug's does).

snip

Asking me to ignore or filter you is like asking me to wear a gas

mask
in a bar, if I do not choose to smoke.

Not really. I (and you) can pass over posts we're not interested in
much easier than we can ignore a cloud of smoke.

I'd say it's more akin to knowing that there is a back room where

smoking is
allowed, then going back there on purpose and complaining about the

smoke.

Poor analogy. Your analogy would be correct if Tom went to the
hypothetical usenet group rec.woodworking.off-topic and complained
about off-topic posts. But I get your point nonetheless. Off-topic
posts are pervasive so complaining about them is sort of silly.

There are some bars that are interesting enough that i will choose

be there, regardless of the smoke - until I begin to cough.

You, and your brethren, have made me begin to cough.

I just did an informal and impromptu study of the last several

handfulls of
threads posted to this group. Of the last 50-ish, I came up with 50

that
were related to woodworking (some loosely) and 6 that were unrelated

woodworking. Ironically, 2 of the 6 that were unrelated were started

by
you.

We're largely in agreement here. The people who complain the loudest
about things that they find offensive are usually working pretty hard
to be offended.

Cheers,
Mike

Tom Watson

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:02:48 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Dude, you're obviously living in the future past! ... surely you believe the
reports that the wRECdorker's of yore, unlike the girly men who apparently
frequent the place now, shaved with their jointer blades and poured shellac
over walnut sawdust for breakfast??

Yeah, dontcha just hate these damned Girlymen?

It was more in the way of introducing some of the newish folks to the
people who ain't around no more, Swing.

Hell, anybody ought to be able to have fun dragging up a Paully Rad
thread, or one of the O'Deen-Bennett threads.

The only OT categories that I really have a problem with are the ones
that our Mommas told us not to play with in public: Politics and
Religion.

My Momma wasn't big on having us discuss Personal Hygiene Matters in
public, neither - but that's a fight for another day.

The problem with the Politics and Religion threads is that they wind
up being about what divides us, instead of focusing on what we have in
common - which allegedly is WoodDorking.

Everybody gets ****ed off at each other, and the general harmony, such
as it is, breaks down.

The real sad thing is that a lot of the fellas that consistently enter
into these discussions seem like real smart people. But, with all the
buttons that can get pushed, in a discussion that could be reasonable,
but almost never is, things just get way out of hand; brains go out
the window; people establish entrenched positions - and it becomes a
siege, going on and on and on.

The absolute worst thing about these threads is that they are the
primary reason that a lot of good people leave the group. There are
resources that are denied to us because those resources can't hack the
bull**** - and they pass on to some other venue.

Could be wrong about this, I guess.

You know the motto of the Wreck:

"Your Mileage May Vary".

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Vic Baron

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
. com...
on 3/18/2005 4:39 PM John said the following:
This thread seems to have unlimited capacitance.

Unlimited capacitance for watt?

Game, set and match! Beat that!

Well, after that, I guess I'll jump on my megacycle and ride across the
Wheatstone Bridge and find my girlfriend Milli Amp and we can spend the
evening reversing polarity and blowing each other's fuses.

So there!

Tom Watson

On 18 Mar 2005 15:05:02 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

Okay, you have a point there. But you're not that far behind him in
dishing out the political b.s.

I think that you would have a difficult time finding any political
comments from me since about October of 2004.

You could look it up.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Lawrence L'Hote

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
. com...
on 3/18/2005 4:39 PM John said the following:
This thread seems to have unlimited capacitance.

Unlimited capacitance for watt?

Game, set and match! Beat that!

CNN reports rom Atlanta the Energizer Bunny arrested---charged with battery.

Tom Watson

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:28:49 GMT, "Lawrence L'Hote"
wrote:

CNN reports rom Atlanta the Energizer Bunny arrested---charged with battery.

A cute bag o' chips walks up to the macho battery and says, "If you're
EverReady, I'm FritoLay".

(...ouch...)

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Mike

Tom Watson wrote:
On 18 Mar 2005 15:05:02 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

Okay, you have a point there. But you're not that far behind him in
dishing out the political b.s.

I think that you would have a difficult time finding any political
comments from me since about October of 2004.

I stand corrected. Starting a series of political ranting threads is
okay as long as it happens during U.S. election season.

You could look it up.

I think I'll pass but thanks nonetheless.

Cheers,
Mike