Mike

Todd Fatheree wrote:
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:18:12 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Tom

Watson
wrote:
Once upon a time there were giants.

I have a solution. Whenever you feel the need to read r.w., go to
Google groups and do a search for r.w. posts from the wreck's golden
age. Read until you're content and stop wasting your time on the
current group of plebians.

Ya know, Tom, nobody's forcing you to read the OT posts...

Doug - you are one of the prime movers of this political horse****
that is being visited upon the Wreck.

Okay, you have a point there. But you're not that far behind him in
dishing out the political b.s. (btw, I mostly agree with your political
bent but it doesn't belong here any more than Doug's does).

snip

Asking me to ignore or filter you is like asking me to wear a gas

mask
in a bar, if I do not choose to smoke.

Not really. I (and you) can pass over posts we're not interested in
much easier than we can ignore a cloud of smoke.

I'd say it's more akin to knowing that there is a back room where

smoking is
allowed, then going back there on purpose and complaining about the

smoke.

Poor analogy. Your analogy would be correct if Tom went to the
hypothetical usenet group rec.woodworking.off-topic and complained
about off-topic posts. But I get your point nonetheless. Off-topic
posts are pervasive so complaining about them is sort of silly.

There are some bars that are interesting enough that i will choose

be there, regardless of the smoke - until I begin to cough.

You, and your brethren, have made me begin to cough.

I just did an informal and impromptu study of the last several

handfulls of
threads posted to this group. Of the last 50-ish, I came up with 50

that
were related to woodworking (some loosely) and 6 that were unrelated

woodworking. Ironically, 2 of the 6 that were unrelated were started

by
you.

We're largely in agreement here. The people who complain the loudest
about things that they find offensive are usually working pretty hard
to be offended.

Cheers,
Mike