Dave Miller

Default Soon I will have Jointer Joy

Last month, LOML received a bonus, and assigned part of it to me for a
jointer. I haven't used a jointer since highschool woodshop. Ever
since, I've always dreamed of having my own shop, and especially a
jointer. A month after highschool graduation, I became a dad at age 18.
I married the mom and went to college while we both worked and took
turns running to and from daycare. I graduated, got a job, and was on
the way when we got divorced. Turns out it's a bad idea to get married
at 18. After the divorce, when I had to move back in with my parents so
I could support my kids (and I've never begrudged taking care of my
kids), a shop was the farthest thing from my mind.

Back to the present. After much advice and consideration, I made up my
mind to go for a Yorkcraft 8" (while keeping watch for the hard-to-find
used DJ-20). In January, Wilke had a deal on shipping and the jointer
was in stock. By the time my windfall arrived, no shipping deal and
jointer was out of stock.

Considered whether to go for instant gratification with a Grizzly or
Sunhill 8". The Sunhill rep kept calling me twice a week to get me to
order. That turned me off to Sunhill, and I really didn't want to spend
more to get the Grizzly (not that it wouldn't be worth it, all you
Grizzly owners). I put my name on the list for the shipment expected in
March.

When I got to work this morning, there was a message from Wilke. As I
tap this out, my jointer is en route. I know I'm rambling, guess it's
because I'm excited.

Hopefully the Yorkcraft lives up to some of the reviews I've read. But
you know, even if it doesn't, I'll be happy because its a jointer, it's
in my house, and hey, it's good to be alive!

Ollie

Dave,

It' nice to have some joy and sunshine betwen the rainy days. I have been
very happy with my YC planer and I guess that you will enjoy your jointer as
much. Just get a good DC, otherwise your workshop will be full of chips.

Cheers, Ollie

"Dave Miller" wrote in message
Back to the present. After much advice and consideration, I made up my
mind to go for a Yorkcraft 8" (while keeping watch for the hard-to-find
used DJ-20). In January, Wilke had a deal on shipping and the jointer was
in stock. By the time my windfall arrived, no shipping deal and jointer
was out of stock.

When I got to work this morning, there was a message from Wilke. As I tap
this out, my jointer is en route. I know I'm rambling, guess it's because
I'm excited.

Stephen M

Dave,

I have the YC8. Although I am generally pleased with it. Note that the
manual that they ship is a bit out of date. It does not show or give
instruction installing attaching the switch box "stalk". That part will be
intuitve.

What is not intuitive is that the motor plugs into the box with a standard
110V plug and the switchbox have a 220V plug on the end. I called wilke for
clarification. Wilke folks asured me that the motor was prewired-wired for
220 even though it ran just fine bypassing the swtichbox and plugging
directly into the wall.

It immediately tripped breaker when I plugged it into my 220V circuit via
the switchbox. I looked in wiring cavity to check the wiring (difficult now,
as the motor is now in mounted in the cabinet and facing down)..... sure
enough...110V.

I called them back on it and they jusk kind of shrugged and said "that never
happened before". He maintained that his answer was correct and that I must
have received an amnomolous motor. I remain unconvinced.

I can suck it up an deal with a bad manual, but to call the vendor and ask a
specific question where manual is clearly silent and get the wrong answer
did tick me off a bit.

Now that I am done kvetching, I would suggect that you pop the cover on the
motor wiring cavity and check you initial wiring. There is a diagram inside
the cap which clearly shows 110V vs 220V configuration. Do this before you
put the bed on the base.

Also find a strong friend.

Happy jointing

Steve

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Stephen M wrote:
I have the YC8. Although I am generally pleased with it. Note that the
manual that they ship is a bit out of date. It does not show or give
instruction installing attaching the switch box "stalk". That part will be
intuitve.

Their pricing is certainly attractive, though I note they say they're out of
stock. How much did it cost to ship that beast? Their web site was a little
slippery about that. I live in NC if that matters.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Stephen M

Their pricing is certainly attractive, though I note they say they're out
of
stock. How much did it cost to ship that beast? Their web site was a

little
slippery about that. I live in NC if that matters.

It does matter. Email them or call them and they will get you a quote. All
they need is your zip code.

I'm in "almost canada" New York. Shipping was $104. I believe that this was
a 25% off shipping promotion. It *DID* include liftgate service which makes
it a very good deal IMHO.

When I talked with Griz about liftgate service, they would not guarantee
that is was available and they were not interested in checking this out with
*their* choice of local carrier. I could have called around to the carrier
to check it out, but that's a PITA and I suspect that they might have told
me that I would have to pay the $75 guy-off-the-street premium for liftgate
service. I just did not want to go there.

Lift gate service was a deal-breaker for me. I don't own a truck and the
freight hub 60 miles away.

-Steve

Dave in Indy

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Their pricing is certainly attractive, though I note they say they're

out of
stock. How much did it cost to ship that beast? Their web site was

a little
slippery about that. I live in NC if that matters.

I spoke with Tom, and he said the entire shipment of 24 jointers was
already spoken for. More are on the way, so you may want to put your
name on a list if interested. You aren't committed to buying, but when
they come in, they'll call you to see if you're still interested.

I live in Indianapolis, shipping was $143 for liftgate service. That's
a lot but the total was still less than other 8" jointers I considered.
Call for an exact quote on shipping - -my guess is it's less for NC
than IN.

Wilson Lamb

For those who haven't ordered yet, check out leneave supply in Charlotte,
NC. Nice people and they have their own line of Chiwan stuff. My planer is
excellent and hundreds less than Delta. Their 8" is $750, I think. They
have a website.

Wilson
[...]

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Wilson Lamb wrote:
For those who haven't ordered yet, check out leneave supply in Charlotte,
NC. Nice people and they have their own line of Chiwan stuff. My planer is
excellent and hundreds less than Delta. Their 8" is $750, I think. They
have a website.

Do you have the URL? I've googled without success. They would definitely be a
possibility as I live in Charlotte.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Wilson Lamb wrote:
For those who haven't ordered yet, check out leneave supply in Charlotte,
NC. Nice people and they have their own line of Chiwan stuff. My planer is
excellent and hundreds less than Delta. Their 8" is $750, I think. They
have a website.

Yesterday it was too late to call the place but I talked to Mr. Leneave just
now: the website is:
http://www.leneavesupply.com

I have to wonder why I didn't figure that out for myself, but I digress. He was
pushing a North State 8" jointer that looked pretty good to me. He said it was
a Taiwan built clone of the older Delta jointers; 2 HP 220V 3 cutters and a 66"
bed. Does anybody have any experience with North State?

He's also a Delta, Powermatic, and Jet dealer but this is what he recommended.
The price is just under $900.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Kiwanda

"Stephen M" wrote in
:

[...]

I recently got a similar quote from Wilke, about $115 for
shipping that jointer. I bought a Delta from Amazon instead--
they shipped it for free, first to a local freight depot, then
via transfer company to my house. I wasn't home when it
arrived, but transfer outfit put both pallets inside my
garage, just where I asked them to. Did I mention I ordered
the jointer Friday and it was in town tuesday, and in my
garage wednesday?

So while I looked at sunhill/yorkie/etc., I decided they were
overcharging on shipping to advertise low prices. Amazon may
be turning into walmart in some ways, but they've always been
great about getting me stuff quickly and for free.

-kiwanda

Dave in Indy

I recently got a similar quote from Wilke, about $115 for
shipping that jointer. I bought a Delta from Amazon instead--
they shipped it for free, first to a local freight depot, then
via transfer company to my house. I wasn't home when it
arrived, but transfer outfit put both pallets inside my
garage, just where I asked them to. Did I mention I ordered
the jointer Friday and it was in town tuesday, and in my
garage wednesday?

So while I looked at sunhill/yorkie/etc., I decided they were
overcharging on shipping to advertise low prices. Amazon may
be turning into walmart in some ways, but they've always been
great about getting me stuff quickly and for free.

-kiwanda

I can see what you're saying on the 6" jointers. When I looked at 8"
machines on Amazon, the choices were Delta for $1049, Jet for $1099,
Powermatic 60B for even more. Even with $143 for shipping, the
Yorkcraft 8" was under $800. FWIW.