Larry Jaques

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:59:38 -0500, the inscrutable Bob G.
spake:

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:22:29 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Bob G.
wrote:

Just do not understand the comments about buying bandaids and setting
the speed dial for the Hostital on your telephone

"Bandaids" is light humour. (and you do need them !)

The "hospital on speed dial" comment was by the OP. Now that's not
funny as a comment, but it's a reasonable humorous reply
_by_the_poster_ to the "Bandaid" comment.

Lighten up people !

You are of course correct... If the reply had come in the middle of
the thread instead of being the 1st reply to a serious question asked
by a newbie I may have been able to take it in a different light...

It's a good thing YOU'RE taking it this way vs. the OP, Bob.
Quick Question:

Got Perspective?

-
Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.
http://diversify.com
Dave in Fairfax

Andy Dingley wrote:
"Bandaids" is light humour. (and you do need them !)
The "hospital on speed dial" comment was by the OP. Now that's not
funny as a comment, but it's a reasonable humorous reply
_by_the_poster_ to the "Bandaid" comment.
Lighten up people !
PS - New thread on "What goes in the medicine cabinet"

I thought it was humor as well, with just a tip of the hat to Roy.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

I thought it was humor as well, with just a tip of the hat to Roy.

I do wonder who this "Roy" character is.

But with three injuries today (I'm typing this on the speakerphone
again), then who am I to complain!

If you rest your hand on the top of the saw fence, then slide it
sideways for a wider rip, then don't leave your fingertip resting in
the bottom of the table slot...

Dave in Fairfax

Andy Dingley wrote:
snip
I do wonder who this "Roy" character is.

Roy Underhill is the lead neander in a local amusement park in
Wmsburg, VA. %-) Known for his pink polish.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Australopithecus scobis

Andy Dingley wrote:

What's in yours ? Suggestions welcome.

I'm neander: I only have a roll of paper surgical tape, a bottle
of disinfectant, a box of bandaids (fingertip, knuckle, assorted
regular), and some 2" gauze pads. I use each of these regularly. The
disinfectant is a new arrival. (My daughter absolutely refuses to let me
put Bactine on her scrapes, so I inherited the bottle.) A drop of
disinfectant on scratches too minor to bandage results in a noticeable
difference in healing time.

When I occasionally fire up the skilsaw, I first review what I'll do next
if I do something stupid.

The full nine yards of first aid stuff is upstairs. That set includes the
cartoon character bandaids, various ointments, larger gauze, Ace
wraps, and so forth.

My car/camping/hiking kits are much more complex than my WW kit.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com

Jim Northey

Scotch and cigars.
Jim

Dan Valleskey

I've been using a 3M product, sort of a super glue for cuts. Stops
the bleeding, lasts long enough. Little bitty tube.

Otherwise, I have a tweezers (Loupe is in my tool box) and a bandana
and a big box of bandaids. Sometimes I just keep the bandaid box
right on the bench.

-Dan V.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:38:27 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

"longshot" wrote:

buy some bandaids. g

It's a reasonable suggestion.

There's also the problem that the workshop is usually outside the
house and you don't want to be dripping blood and sawdust across the
carpets and up to the bathroom. So get yourself a workshop first-aid
kit that you can keep closer to hand.

What's in yours ? Suggestions welcome.

Mine has the following, amongst others:

Tweezers, scissors, scalpel blades and disposable needles. My main
injury needing repair is pulling splinters out of things. Sometimes I
need to dig.

Yellow sharps box. Also works for workshop sharps like snap-off
knifeblades.

Waterjel burn treatment. Squirt bottle and slap-on dressings. Mainly
for welding, not woodwork, this is an excellent quick fix for small
blisters where you've touched still-hot steel.

Tea Tree Oil. My favourite quick treatment for small cuts and
scrapes. Antiseptic and seems to assist rapid healing - by "healing"
I don't mean total repair, I mean getting solid enough skin across the
hole that it stops pulling open when you keep using the fingers.

Bandaids. Got some, never use them. They just don't stay put in a
workshop.

Microporous tape and a roll of gauze. If I have cut something enough
to want to cover it, then I do it with lashings of this. Cutting a
finger stall to cover it out of a rubber glove, then taping that down
on top, also helps to keep the dressing in place.

Eyewash. Good for dusty eyes. Use it after every day's MDF routing.
Your eyes will feel a lot better by midnight if you already used it at
the end of every dusty shift. Stuff doesn't keep either, so it doesn't
really matter how fast you use it up.

Eyewash - the sealed sterile one-shot bottles for washing big things
out.

Surgical spirit. Handy quick clean up for grubby workshop paws, and so
much safer than acetone ! (That's a joke you humourless muppet)

Assorted dressing stuff. Just get a reasonable ready-packed kit.

A _big_ box to put it in, easy to open and easy to close, with
sensible clips and no need to sit on it to get the lid shut. Mine is
tin and 50 years old - I've never seen a plastic one with usable
catches.

In the on-site box there's also the traumatic amputation kit, just in
case of chainsaw or machete accidents. I hope never to use it, but
it's worth having it, and being trained in what to do, because
otherwise you have to carry the bits 20 miles home, like something out
of Reader's Digest. There's an inflatable splint in there too, which
I have had to use once and bloody useful it was too - immobilises a
broken limb with almost no operator skill necessary.

Luigi Zanasi

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:25:41 +0000, Andy Dingley
scribbled:

snip of good "advise", which I second, except for the obscure
references to UK rags which I know nothing about and Blizzard which
are almost unknown in the Yukon

Websites to look at are Jeff Gorman's on planing, Pat Warner's on
routers and Patrick's Blood and Gore for plane history.

Just to help you along here are the URLs to the sites Andy recommends:

Jeff Gorman
http://www.amgron.clara.net/

http://www.patwarner.com/

Patrick Leach
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Luigi Zanasi
wrote:

Blizzard which are almost unknown in the Yukon

David Blizzard. Did some TV series in the '80s, a decade that wasn't
noted for prime woodworking. There are a number of tie-in books which
sold well at the time, are now out of print, but show up regularly as
S/H.

It's not bad stuff, and if you see a toy in there that you
particularly like, it wouldn't be a bad thing to make. The techniques
though are pretty dull - straight-line cuts through plywood, screwed
together softwood. You might make the kids something they love, but
you won't learn much woodworking from it.

firstjois

Dan Valleskey wrote:
I've been using a 3M product, sort of a super glue for cuts. Stops
the bleeding, lasts long enough. Little bitty tube.

[snip]

I use real super glue.

Josie

Jeff Cooper

firstjois wrote:
Dan Valleskey wrote:

I've been using a 3M product, sort of a super glue for cuts. Stops
the bleeding, lasts long enough. Little bitty tube.

I use real super glue.

Oh don't do that, it causes liver damage!

:-)

Disclaimer for the humor impaired: The above comment is intended as
sarcastic humor due to the presence of two other current threads
regarding the preceived dangers of acetone.

Jeff
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "firstjois"
wrote:

I use real super glue.

I've stopped doing that since I researched the health hazards of it.
Now I've got some of the real medical stuff (it's not quite the same).

J. Clarke

firstjois wrote:

Dan Valleskey wrote:
I've been using a 3M product, sort of a super glue for cuts. Stops
the bleeding, lasts long enough. Little bitty tube.

[snip]

I use real super glue.

You might want to google "cyanoacrylate surgical adhesive". There's a lot
of information out there--turns out that there are good reasons that
special formulations were developed for medical use.

Josie

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Pounds on Wood

Yours is better stocked than mine. Mine is in fact a pull-out medicine
cabinet from a bathroom remodel. Includes a mirror in case I need to check
how badly my head is cut, or worst yet, my hair falls out of place. As for
content suggestions, a feminine sanitary napkin is good for slapping on a
bad cut to stem bleeding until a real bandage, or professional attention,
can be managed. They are sterile and very absorbent.

--
********
Bill Pounds

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
"longshot" wrote:

[...]

Phisherman

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:57:16 -0500, "firstjois"
wrote:

Dan Valleskey wrote:
I've been using a 3M product, sort of a super glue for cuts. Stops
the bleeding, lasts long enough. Little bitty tube.

[snip]

I use real super glue.

Josie

I would not advise using super glue. It may have an arsenic compound.
Too much info here, but the mortician said he had to super glue my
mother's body to seal up all the holes from the needles removed at the
hospital.

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Phisherman
wrote:

Sorry, I meant cyonide (not arsenic.)

What's so bad about cyanide ? As deadly poisons go, it's pretty
benign. You don't accumulate it, it doesn't have side-effects unless
you receive enough of it to cause anoxia.

firstjois

J. Clarke wrote:
firstjois wrote:

Dan Valleskey wrote:
I've been using a 3M product, sort of a super glue for cuts.
Stops the bleeding, lasts long enough. Little bitty tube.

[snip]

I use real super glue.

You might want to google "cyanoacrylate surgical adhesive". There's
a lot of information out there--turns out that there are good
reasons that special formulations were developed for medical use.

Josie

Thanks all, I'll check that out!

Josie

J. Clarke

Phisherman wrote:

Sorry, I meant cyonide (not arsenic.)

All superglue, including the surgical varieties, is cyanoacrylate based.
Cyanoacrylate is not cyanide.

wrote:

Dan Valleskey wrote:
I've been using a 3M product, sort of a super glue for cuts. Stops
the bleeding, lasts long enough. Little bitty tube.

[snip]

I use real super glue.

Josie

I would not advise using super glue. It may have an arsenic compound.
Too much info here, but the mortician said he had to super glue my
mother's body to seal up all the holes from the needles removed at the
hospital.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
AAvK

Scotch and cigars.
Jim

heh heh heh... bourbon and cigarettes.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:35:03 -0800, Pounds on Wood wrote:
Yours is better stocked than mine. Mine is in fact a pull-out medicine
cabinet from a bathroom remodel. Includes a mirror in case I need to check
how badly my head is cut, or worst yet, my hair falls out of place. As for
content suggestions, a feminine sanitary napkin is good for slapping on a
bad cut to stem bleeding until a real bandage, or professional attention,
can be managed. They are sterile and very absorbent.

And the "trauma dressings" we carry on the ambulance are nearly exactly
the same thing.

finishing woodwork rile Home Repair 6 February 17th 05 03:58 PM
Painting the woodwork Stephen UK diy 4 February 3rd 05 02:02 PM
Painting woodwork - best practice? andrewpreece UK diy 5 November 19th 04 04:12 PM
Protecting woodwork when it's too cold to paint Glenn Ammons Home Repair 8 October 22nd 04 05:10 PM
Woodwork paint removal - Metabo LF714s any good - other suggestions Eric the Red UK diy 0 August 20th 03 07:00 PM