andrewpreece

"Lobster" wrote in message
I've got a stack of woodwork to gloss paint over the next week (mostly

bare
wood, but some already painted) and given the plethora of 'systems' out
there, I would be interested to hear what painting regimes people use and
why...

eg:
Primer + undercoat + gloss
Primer + self-undercoating gloss (two coats?)
Self-priming undercoat (two coats) + gloss
Primer + one-coat gloss
etc etc...

Then, acrylic or solvent based?

I'm aiming for the best and most durable finish within the quickest

possible
time (ie fewest number of coats!)

Thanks
David

Goodness knows what system works best - you'd have to undertake a lot of
comparative studies using different systems and woods then sit back and wait
and watch for ten years. I use Dulux Weathershield Trade exterior gloss for
outdoors, and for bare wood they recommend Primer + undercoat + gloss.
However, if it's untreated wood they recommend their Primer/Preservative +
undercoat + gloss
In fact, I used wood preservative + shellac knotting + primer + undercoat +
gloss + gloss and it took bloody ages ( fascia boards, untreated pine, I
didn't want to get up a ladder and remove the guttering again for a long
time ). If you're painting an oily hardwod, they recommend using their
aluminium primer.

For wood that I'd heat-stripped back to a kind of gungy brown original
1930's undercoat ( it wouldn't come off, just smeared out when I scraped at
it ), I just went
for an undercoat + gloss ( soffits, so not as exposed as the fascia
boards ).

My understanding is that for painting on wood, the function of the
preservative is obvious, the shellac knotting seals any sap in the knots so
that when the sun heats the wood it doesn't puncture the paint film by
oozing sap, the primer seals the wood surface ( against what I'm not sure,
I've never seen undercoat sink in when applied to bare wood ), the undercoat
matches the colour of the topcoat and also provides a suitable surface for
the topcoat to adhere to, and of course the gloss topcoat provides the
cosmetic finish and the weatherproof seal. Two more points, Dulux claims
their undercoat is elastic, and considering how wood moves, that must be a
good thing. Second, they claim their gloss is microporous so the paint can
breathe, and that this resists flaking. Who knows. If you use the full
system it'll take you more than a week to paint any surface, but I reckon
it's overkill except on exposed exterior woodwork.

My top tip is this; when you paint a surface with a sharp edge or
corner, the paint always is thinnest on that edge, in fact if you try it
with a white undercoat and black top coat, I reckon you can see through the
topcoat on the sharp edge, and this thinness may explain why flaking often
starts on an edge, so sand or plane all edges to a chamfered or rounded
profile before you start,

Andy.

The Natural Philosopher

Lobster wrote:

I've got a stack of woodwork to gloss paint over the next week (mostly bare
wood, but some already painted) and given the plethora of 'systems' out
there, I would be interested to hear what painting regimes people use and
why...

eg:
Primer + undercoat + gloss
Primer + self-undercoating gloss (two coats?)
Self-priming undercoat (two coats) + gloss
Primer + one-coat gloss
etc etc...

Then, acrylic or solvent based?

I'm aiming for the best and most durable finish within the quickest possible
time (ie fewest number of coats!)

Thanks
David

Dunno whats best, but what worked for me was.

shellac the knots. (to preent resin seepage)
Fill the holes. (to get teh surface flat)
Sand baby bottom smooth (to get rid of gross high spots and grain)
two coats of acrylic primer, sanding after each.(to end up with uniform
color and dead flat surface)
one or two coats of undercoat, sandfing after each( to get basic co;or
right and add teh reflective coat)
one or two coats of gloss (sansding after first) to get smoothest
possible texture.

Ifyou want woodwork that looks 'perfect' thats how you get it.

R Taylor

Lobster wrote:
I've got a stack of woodwork to gloss paint over the next week (mostly bare
wood, but some already painted) and given the plethora of 'systems' out
there, I would be interested to hear what painting regimes people use and
why...

eg:
Primer + undercoat + gloss
Primer + self-undercoating gloss (two coats?)
Self-priming undercoat (two coats) + gloss
Primer + one-coat gloss
etc etc...

Then, acrylic or solvent based?

I'm aiming for the best and most durable finish within the quickest possible
time (ie fewest number of coats!)

Thanks
David

heres what I did, I'm no dab hand with a brush (ha!) but the results are acceptable.

internal from bare wood

primer - sand flat
filler - sand flat
undercoat - sand flat
undercoat - sand flat
very light coating of gloss

external over gloss

undercoat - sand flat
undercoat - sand flat
very light coating of gloss

use quality paint ( I used Dulux Trade) and use the best quality brushes you
can find. wickes mastercoat brushes are the best I've ever used. none have
lost any hairs and the fine synthetic bristles lay paint very evenly.

drying time between coats is a major pita so I did 5 windows on a roatation
system, internal and external.

hth

RT

RichardS

"Lobster" wrote in message
I've got a stack of woodwork to gloss paint over the next week (mostly

bare
wood, but some already painted) and given the plethora of 'systems' out
there, I would be interested to hear what painting regimes people use and
why...

eg:
Primer + undercoat + gloss
Primer + self-undercoating gloss (two coats?)
Self-priming undercoat (two coats) + gloss
Primer + one-coat gloss
etc etc...

Then, acrylic or solvent based?

I'm aiming for the best and most durable finish within the quickest

possible
time (ie fewest number of coats!)

Rarely use gloss any more - missus reckon's it's passé - so if you're not
stuck on gloss then eggshell may be quickest time-to-market..

prepare woodwork, knotting, etc
prime (for speed, acrylic primer is fine)
2 coats decent oil-based trade eggshell (no undercoat necessary with
eggshell)

This stuff is pretty hard wearing, and if your woodwork is in good condition
then it looks (IMHO) superb - it seems to preserve the definition of
mouldings in a way that gloss only seems to blur.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

sPoNiX

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:03:18 GMT, "Lobster"
wrote:

I've got a stack of woodwork to gloss paint over the next week (mostly bare
wood, but some already painted) and given the plethora of 'systems' out
there, I would be interested to hear what painting regimes people use and
why...

eg:
Primer + undercoat + gloss
Primer + self-undercoating gloss (two coats?)
Self-priming undercoat (two coats) + gloss
Primer + one-coat gloss
etc etc...

Then, acrylic or solvent based?

Cheap emulsion paint followed by two coats of decent quality gloss
paint.

sPoNiX