Kevin O`Brien

Default Beginning woodwork

Hi,

I am a complete novice to woodwork and wondered if there were any books,
videos, dvds or websites you could recommend.

I am interested in furniture making and toys.

I have a week long carpentry course starting soon and would like a head
start.

Any recommendations most welcome.

Thanks

longshot

"Kevin O`Brien" wrote in message
Hi,

I am a complete novice to woodwork and wondered if there were any books,
videos, dvds or websites you could recommend.

I am interested in furniture making and toys.

I have a week long carpentry course starting soon and would like a head
start.

Any recommendations most welcome.

Thanks

buy some bandaids. g

Kevin O`Brien

"longshot" wrote in message

"Kevin O`Brien" wrote in message
Hi,

I am a complete novice to woodwork and wondered if there were any books,
videos, dvds or websites you could recommend.

I am interested in furniture making and toys.

I have a week long carpentry course starting soon and would like a head
start.

Any recommendations most welcome.

Thanks

buy some bandaids. g

got the hospital on speed dial thanks

firstjois

Kevin O`Brien wrote:
Hi,

I am a complete novice to woodwork and wondered if there were any
books, videos, dvds or websites you could recommend.

I am interested in furniture making and toys.

I have a week long carpentry course starting soon and would like a
head start.

Any recommendations most welcome.

Thanks

Lucky you! Bet there are a lot of people here who would say they wished
they had started out in a formal class rather than picking up information
and skills by pits and pieces. Until your classes start you might check out
the contents of your local library. You'll get to look at lots of things
without cost and be able to consider buying the books your course may
recommend. Somewhere around here there is a list of books most of the
group would recommend - it usually pops up every few days.

Josie

longshot

Seriously, probably watching the guys on TV that make it look so simple
because they can build a curio cabinet in a half hour show is a good place
to start.

Half the battle is having the right tools. I suggest starting with something
simple like a book case or night stand. Use Pine since it is soft & somewhat
forgiving ( easy to sand anyway) . Birch plywood matches it pretty well if
you want to use it for the carcass. That's where I started.

--
Be cool,
Longshot

Kevin O`Brien

Thanks for the advice Josie.

If you or anyone can recommend a suitable book that I can find on Amazon
maybe, that would be great.

"firstjois" wrote in message
Kevin O`Brien wrote:
[...]

Kevin O`Brien

"longshot" wrote in message
Seriously, probably watching the guys on TV that make it look so simple
because they can build a curio cabinet in a half hour show is a good place
to start.

Half the battle is having the right tools. I suggest starting with

something
simple like a book case or night stand. Use Pine since it is soft &

somewhat
forgiving ( easy to sand anyway) . Birch plywood matches it pretty well if
you want to use it for the carcass. That's where I started.

--
Be cool,
Longshot

Thanks for the advice.

Although, being in the UK and only having the basic 5 channels (don't have
cable or satalite), there aren't any suitable TV programmes on.

firstjois

Try this list:

http://www.inthewoodshop.org/general/treatise.shtml

Josie

Stephen M

I am a complete novice to woodwork and wondered if there were any books,
videos, dvds or websites you could recommend.

I am interested in furniture making and toys.

Good it helps to know where you're focus will be.

I have a week long carpentry course starting soon and would like a head
start.

An excellent place to start. Here across the pond carpentry refers more to
on-site construction of things like houses. I'll assume that that is a
cultural language subtlty.

Any recommendations most welcome.

Periodicals. I'm not sure what's available over there. I used to get Better
Homes and Gardens: Wood. Like several other magazines it has a mix of
projects, product reviews, and articles on techniques. The ads can be fun to
look at too.

I think a mix like this is appropriate for someone who is in the "I don't
know what I don't know" stage.

For a book, I would suggest "Understanding Wood Finishes" by Bob Flexnor.
(Not specifially "woodworking" but necessary)

-Steve

Kevin O`Brien

"firstjois" wrote in message
Try this list:

http://www.inthewoodshop.org/general/treatise.shtml

Josie

Thanks very much Josie

Bob G.

Just do not understand the comments about buying bandaids and setting
the speed dial for the Hostital on your telephone....Seems to me the
posters who made those suggestions are a little immature or whatever
you waish to call them...helpful they are not...

Anyway I am glad you at least express an interest in woodworking...

I will admit that I never took a single class (excluding wood shop in
Jr. High School) nor read any books on woodworking before I got
interested in woodworking...I just had a need as a new homeowner to
"fix" a few things around the house...and discovered that I could "do
my thing" and have a a relaxating evening at the same time...

Over the years I most have picked up a book or two but honestly I can
not remember doing it...I just learned the hard way...make a mistake
correct it..move on and make another mistake..

BUT if I were smart I would have at least spent some time in the
library just looking at how things are constructed... A good book on
Joints ..their construction strenghts and weakness would have saved me
a lot of frustration...

Lots of luck... Top posted to make the Bandaid POSTER scroll down
aand down before he discovered I deleted his post....

Bob Griffiths
======================
Lucky you! Bet there are a lot of people here who would say they wished
they had started out in a formal class rather than picking up information
and skills by pits and pieces. Until your classes start you might check out
the contents of your local library. You'll get to look at lots of things
without cost and be able to consider buying the books your course may
recommend. Somewhere around here there is a list of books most of the
group would recommend - it usually pops up every few days.

Josie

Patriarch

Bob G. wrote in
:

Just do not understand the comments about buying bandaids and setting
the speed dial for the Hostital on your telephone....Seems to me the
posters who made those suggestions are a little immature or whatever
you waish to call them...helpful they are not...

I only saw the replies. The smartass had earned killfile status for
previous commentary.

To the OP: Reasonable care and caution is merited, however, millions of
trees have given their all, with relatively few trips to the hospital. And
given that many of us are trending towards 'old fart' status, that says a
lot about the relative safety of the craft, particularly for hobbyists.

Work safely. Have fun. Make something. Smile frequently.

Patriarch

ps: Tage Frid teaches Woodworking, volumes 1&2 (combined printing), is an
excellent investment of your time. Even if your library doesn't stock it.
longshot

Just do not understand the comments about buying bandaids and setting
the speed dial for the Hostital on your telephone....Seems to me the
posters who made those suggestions are a little immature or whatever
you waish to call them...helpful they are not...

It's called humor jack ass

Kevin O`Brien

Thanks very much for the advice Bob.

I'll head over to the library but as you said, nothing is going to teach me
more than actually doing it.

Looking forward to my course. It's only a week long, but should give me the
basics to go on and learn more.

"Bob G." wrote in message

[...]

oldhippiedave

Bob G. wrote:
[...]

Like Bob, I got started in woodworking by remodeling my house, on the last room now. I would advise
you get started by building things for the shop: wall cabinets, router table, shelves. Practice
different methods of joinery on these pieces because you will make mistakes, lots of them. Much
better to make them on things for the shop made with "cheap" wood and be proficient before
graduating to more expensive things. Shop cabinets are also a great way to practice different
finishes and find the ones you like (and dislike).

I started in my house by remodeling a bedroom into my "play room" with a built in desk and floor to
ceiling bookcases. Looks OK to the uninitiated but I would be embarassed to show them to this
group. I'm ready to rip all the work out and start over, wish I knew what I was doing before I
started.

I took some classes, learned a lot by reading this group, got some help when I needed it. I still
consider myself a beginner, but a lot more advanced than when I started. I think woodworking is a
lot like golf or playing bridge, the more you learn, the more you know what you still have to learn.

Good luck and keep a thick skin when posting.
Australopithecus scobis

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:46:56 -0500, Bob G. wrote:

Just do not understand the comments about buying bandaids and setting
the speed dial for the Hostital on your telephone....Seems to me the
posters who made those suggestions are a little immature or whatever
you waish to call them...helpful they are not...

Not just wrong: totally wrong

1) It is simply common sense to keep a well-stocked first aid kit in the
shop. Accidents happen. "Bandaids" was a funny quip, but it addressed a
serious situation. There are more "tools" in a well set up shop than just
the woodworking tools that a newbie might consider.

2) There is no substitute for following best practices with power
machinery. That said, accidents do happen. Power tools will do enough
damage very quickly that the first aid kit may be inadequate. A phone in
the shop can be, literally, a life-saver.

3) We hobbyists are often working alone. There's no-one else who can call
for help.

The three-stitch cut I got on my hand last Saturday (my hatchet merely
-touched- me, not even swinging) is healing nicely. Both SWMBO and swmo
were present and helped bandage the hand for the trip to the clinic.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com

Nicholas

Kevin,

I was a computer programmer until a few years ago I decided that staring at
a screen all day wasn't for me. I was lucky enough to swap some machines
for a bit of coding for a local machinery supplier so I had a head start
with machinery and that made a big difference. If you're out to make money
at joinery then you'll need the machines sooner or later, preferably sooner.

Be prepared to feel a fool and make lots and lots and lots of mistakes. But
don't give up. It's not rocket science...I still make mistakes (as do all
woodworkers) but it's knowing how to recover from mistakes which makes all
the difference.

One rule I have always stuck to is to be cautious when dealing with machines
and sharp tools.

Books...I'd recommend a trip to the Library and start getting up to speed on
manual techniques like Mortice and Tenon etc etc. Once you know the manual
method of making a joint you'll understand the machines you may aquire later
all the better. Start to read about the machines too. It's a long learning
process and reading ahead is likely to have it's rewards.

Don't buy a single tool/machine until you have a definite need for it.
Money wasted on useless tools is money that could have gone towards a better
quality tool that you'll eventually use lots...(an example of my own, early
on I bought a stanley jack plane, gets used occasionally but for the most
part it sits on the shelf slowly corroding....the stanley 4 1/2 gets used
daily though)

Cheers

Nicholas

--
Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net

--

"Stephen M" wrote in message
[...]

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:43:56 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable "Kevin
O`Brien" spake:

Thanks for the advice Josie.

If you or anyone can recommend a suitable book that I can find on Amazon
maybe, that would be great.

Go see Grogs. He has a list.

http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/reference/books.htm

--
EAT SOYLENT McD!
----------------------

Bob G

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:38:53 -0500, "longshot"
wrote:

Just do not understand the comments about buying bandaids and setting
the speed dial for the Hostital on your telephone....Seems to me the
posters who made those suggestions are a little immature or whatever
you waish to call them...helpful they are not...

It's called humor jack ass

==========================
No comment....

Bob Griffiths

Kevin O`Brien

"oldhippiedave" wrote in message
Bob G. wrote:
[...]

I must say everyone has been very helpful to me in this group.

I'll post a photo of my first creation on this group for your viewing
pleasure (or maybe that should be amusement!).

Kevin O`Brien

Thanks for your advice Stephen.

Maybe carpentry means the same here too. I am that much of a novice! Not
looking at to do on-site contruction, but simple elegant items like
furniture and toys.

I didn't think about getting a periodical. Will pop out this afternoon and
get one I think!

Thanks again.

"Stephen M" wrote in message
[...]

Kevin O`Brien

Funnily enough I am a computer programmer at the moment! Like you, getting
bored of staring at a monitor all day. I don't expect to make a living at
it, not at the moment anyway. Although, I have a cousin who is an interior
designer (www.uk-vibe.com - wrote the web site!) and she can pay thousands
of pounds for a piece of furniture, so I know who my first client will be!!
I just like the feel and texture of wood and the idea of creating something
ecstatically pleasing and functional to share with others is great.

Thanks very much for the advice on books and machinery.

"Stephen M" wrote in message
[...]

Dave in Fairfax

Kevin O`Brien wrote:
snip
I'll post a photo of my first creation on this group for your viewing
pleasure (or maybe that should be amusement!).

PLease post it to news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking instead,
this isn't a binaries group.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:54:39 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable "Kevin
O`Brien" spake:

Thanks for that Larry

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Go see Grogs. He has a list.
http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/reference/books.htm

Brian, do yourself and us a favor: Don't top-post and DO snip posts.

Oh, and do post a link to your project for our amusement.

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Kevin O`Brien"
wrote:

I am a complete novice to woodwork and wondered if there were any books,
videos, dvds or websites you could recommend.

Fine Woodworking magazine. Either this issue or the last one had a
nice piece on book recommendations. Good mag too.

Good Woodworking is the best UK beginner mag, but graduate to
Furniture and Cabinet making when you can. I don't often read either,
but FWW is essential.

Definitely get (buy them right now):

"Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, Vols 1 & 2"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1561580686/codesmiths

Flexner's "Understanding Wood Finishing"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0762101911/codesmiths

Joyce too, if you can't find one on eBay.

In time you'll also want

Hoadley's "Understanding Wood"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1561583588/codesmiths

Leonard Lee's "Complete Guide to Sharpening"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1561580678/codesmiths

Avoid Blizzard. Dull techniques, rather ugly toys. Over-hyped TV
tie-in stuff.

Keep an eye out for these
(try eBay - they're regulars)

Joyce's "Encyclopedia of Furniture Making"

"Planecraft"
'50s handbook by Record.

Old '50s technique books by Charles Hayward His "English Period
Furniture" and "Period Furniture Designs" are good too.

There are a great many historical or project-based books. Look for
authors like Becksvoort or Bavarro & Mossman.

More books at
http://codesmiths.com/shed/books/woodworking.htm

Websites to look at are Jeff Gorman's on planing, Pat Warner's on
routers and Patrick's Blood and Gore for plane history.
Kevin O`Brien

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for those book recommendations, they look pretty useful.

firstjois

wrote:

Just do not understand the comments about buying bandaids and
setting the speed dial for the Hostital on your telephone....Seems
to me the posters who made those suggestions are a little immature
or whatever you waish to call them...helpful they are not...

It's called humor jack ass

==========================
No comment....

Bob Griffiths

Would you have commented if he'd written: "It's called humor, jack ass"?

Just a thought.

Josie

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Bob G.
wrote:

Just do not understand the comments about buying bandaids and setting
the speed dial for the Hostital on your telephone

"Bandaids" is light humour. (and you do need them !)

The "hospital on speed dial" comment was by the OP. Now that's not
funny as a comment, but it's a reasonable humorous reply
_by_the_poster_ to the "Bandaid" comment.

Lighten up people !

PS - New thread on "What goes in the medicine cabinet"

Andy Dingley

"longshot" wrote:

buy some bandaids. g

It's a reasonable suggestion.

There's also the problem that the workshop is usually outside the
house and you don't want to be dripping blood and sawdust across the
carpets and up to the bathroom. So get yourself a workshop first-aid
kit that you can keep closer to hand.

What's in yours ? Suggestions welcome.

Mine has the following, amongst others:

Tweezers, scissors, scalpel blades and disposable needles. My main
injury needing repair is pulling splinters out of things. Sometimes I
need to dig.

Yellow sharps box. Also works for workshop sharps like snap-off
knifeblades.

Waterjel burn treatment. Squirt bottle and slap-on dressings. Mainly
for welding, not woodwork, this is an excellent quick fix for small
blisters where you've touched still-hot steel.

Tea Tree Oil. My favourite quick treatment for small cuts and
scrapes. Antiseptic and seems to assist rapid healing - by "healing"
I don't mean total repair, I mean getting solid enough skin across the
hole that it stops pulling open when you keep using the fingers.

Bandaids. Got some, never use them. They just don't stay put in a
workshop.

Microporous tape and a roll of gauze. If I have cut something enough
to want to cover it, then I do it with lashings of this. Cutting a
finger stall to cover it out of a rubber glove, then taping that down
on top, also helps to keep the dressing in place.

Eyewash. Good for dusty eyes. Use it after every day's MDF routing.
Your eyes will feel a lot better by midnight if you already used it at
the end of every dusty shift. Stuff doesn't keep either, so it doesn't
really matter how fast you use it up.

Eyewash - the sealed sterile one-shot bottles for washing big things
out.

Surgical spirit. Handy quick clean up for grubby workshop paws, and so
much safer than acetone ! (That's a joke you humourless muppet)

Assorted dressing stuff. Just get a reasonable ready-packed kit.

A _big_ box to put it in, easy to open and easy to close, with
sensible clips and no need to sit on it to get the lid shut. Mine is
tin and 50 years old - I've never seen a plastic one with usable
catches.

In the on-site box there's also the traumatic amputation kit, just in
case of chainsaw or machete accidents. I hope never to use it, but
it's worth having it, and being trained in what to do, because
otherwise you have to carry the bits 20 miles home, like something out
of Reader's Digest. There's an inflatable splint in there too, which
I have had to use once and bloody useful it was too - immobilises a
broken limb with almost no operator skill necessary.

Bob G.

==========================
No comment....

Bob Griffiths

Would you have commented if he'd written: "It's called humor, jack ass"?

Just a thought.

Josie

===============
I did not take it as a joke... Call it anyway you like..
I just did not feel like a response would do a damn bit of good...

Bob Griffiths
Bob G.

wrote:

Just do not understand the comments about buying bandaids and setting
the speed dial for the Hostital on your telephone

"Bandaids" is light humour. (and you do need them !)

The "hospital on speed dial" comment was by the OP. Now that's not
funny as a comment, but it's a reasonable humorous reply
_by_the_poster_ to the "Bandaid" comment.

Lighten up people !

PS - New thread on "What goes in the medicine cabinet"

===============================

You are of course correct... If the reply had come in the middle of
the thread instead of being the 1st reply to a serious question asked
by a newbie I may have been able to take it in a different light...

Bob Griffiths

David

A cell phone for dialing 911. g

Dave

finishing woodwork rile Home Repair 6 February 17th 05 03:58 PM
Painting the woodwork Stephen UK diy 4 February 3rd 05 02:02 PM
Painting woodwork - best practice? andrewpreece UK diy 5 November 19th 04 04:12 PM
Protecting woodwork when it's too cold to paint Glenn Ammons Home Repair 8 October 22nd 04 05:10 PM
Woodwork paint removal - Metabo LF714s any good - other suggestions Eric the Red UK diy 0 August 20th 03 07:00 PM