Pounds on Wood

Yours is better stocked than mine. Mine is in fact a pull-out medicine
cabinet from a bathroom remodel. Includes a mirror in case I need to check
how badly my head is cut, or worst yet, my hair falls out of place. As for
content suggestions, a feminine sanitary napkin is good for slapping on a
bad cut to stem bleeding until a real bandage, or professional attention,
can be managed. They are sterile and very absorbent.

--
********
Bill Pounds

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
"longshot" wrote:

buy some bandaids. g

It's a reasonable suggestion.

There's also the problem that the workshop is usually outside the
house and you don't want to be dripping blood and sawdust across the
carpets and up to the bathroom. So get yourself a workshop first-aid
kit that you can keep closer to hand.

What's in yours ? Suggestions welcome.

Mine has the following, amongst others:

Tweezers, scissors, scalpel blades and disposable needles. My main
injury needing repair is pulling splinters out of things. Sometimes I
need to dig.

Yellow sharps box. Also works for workshop sharps like snap-off
knifeblades.

Waterjel burn treatment. Squirt bottle and slap-on dressings. Mainly
for welding, not woodwork, this is an excellent quick fix for small
blisters where you've touched still-hot steel.

Tea Tree Oil. My favourite quick treatment for small cuts and
scrapes. Antiseptic and seems to assist rapid healing - by "healing"
I don't mean total repair, I mean getting solid enough skin across the
hole that it stops pulling open when you keep using the fingers.

Bandaids. Got some, never use them. They just don't stay put in a
workshop.

Microporous tape and a roll of gauze. If I have cut something enough
to want to cover it, then I do it with lashings of this. Cutting a
finger stall to cover it out of a rubber glove, then taping that down
on top, also helps to keep the dressing in place.

Eyewash. Good for dusty eyes. Use it after every day's MDF routing.
Your eyes will feel a lot better by midnight if you already used it at
the end of every dusty shift. Stuff doesn't keep either, so it doesn't
really matter how fast you use it up.

Eyewash - the sealed sterile one-shot bottles for washing big things
out.

Surgical spirit. Handy quick clean up for grubby workshop paws, and so
much safer than acetone ! (That's a joke you humourless muppet)

Assorted dressing stuff. Just get a reasonable ready-packed kit.

A _big_ box to put it in, easy to open and easy to close, with
sensible clips and no need to sit on it to get the lid shut. Mine is
tin and 50 years old - I've never seen a plastic one with usable
catches.

In the on-site box there's also the traumatic amputation kit, just in
case of chainsaw or machete accidents. I hope never to use it, but
it's worth having it, and being trained in what to do, because
otherwise you have to carry the bits 20 miles home, like something out
of Reader's Digest. There's an inflatable splint in there too, which
I have had to use once and bloody useful it was too - immobilises a
broken limb with almost no operator skill necessary.