news.east.cox.net

Default Found: Waterproof Trays for Watestones

Hi Folks,

I have been on the hunt for the most appropriate accessory to use with my
waterstones that is a) portable, b) waterproof or resistant and c) somewhat
non-skid. I tried locating the trays I saw used at a recent Shapton
demonstration (and what can be seen on their website
(www.shaptonstones.com), but didn't have any luck - and for whatever reason
the Shapton folks were unable to tell me.

I surfed the web and, well, there was too much information, I also looked at
several of the hardware web sites. My wife suggested trying Target. Being
the dutiful husband, off I went.

Guess what? I found the perfect accessory to use in Target's Kitchen Goods
section. It's produced by KitchedAid and it's called Silicone Bakeware.
Basically, it's a 9" X 9" baking pan made from rubberized silicone and it's
the right height so as not to interfere with the tool being sharpened.
Waterproof? Check. Non-skid? Check. Portable? Check; heck, it can be
rolled up.

It works great!

igor

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:59:42 -0500, "news.east.cox.net"
wrote:

[...]

Seems that turnabout IS fair play. From the Washington Post:

"Practicality rules in the restaurant galley, where some tools come
straight from the hardware store. A putty knife can make perfect chocolate
curls, and simple polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe can mold an elegant
appetizer. Chefs find such items are often sturdier or less expensive than
the designer widgets sold in kitchen stores."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Mar1.html
Phisherman

I've been looking too. I made a sharpening station to hold my stones,
sharpening jigs, etc. I have sliding shelves for the 8" round stones,
but have not yet found plastic containers for these. I marked a strip
of paper indicating the dimensions I need and keep it in my wallet.
I've been looking for 5 years in various stores, but I'll check at
Target. What I do now allow the stone to dry out before storing it.

wrote:

[...]

news.east.cox.net

The only trouble is that at 9X9, you cannot use the tray if you want to use
Shapton's lapping stone/stone holder. It's a bit too big. 9X12 or 12X12
would be a great size.

Len

wrote:

[...]

AAvK

This gave me the idea, why not build a multi stone pond box
out of teak or Ipe? Something a bit heavy that would stay put,
T&G joinery, dovetail corners, brass screw clamping for the
stones, and you could use a waterproof poly glue or some such...
I think I might do this when I get into water stones. Currently
scary sharpening myself, but this idea could become a classic.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

news.east.cox.net

The Shapton shows a person using a wooden box with a trangular shaped holder
that permits the user rotate through the grits by rotating the holder. It's
a cool set-up. It seems custom made.

"AAvK" wrote in message

This gave me the idea, why not build a multi stone pond box
out of teak or Ipe? Something a bit heavy that would stay put,
T&G joinery, dovetail corners, brass screw clamping for the
stones, and you could use a waterproof poly glue or some such...
I think I might do this when I get into water stones. Currently
scary sharpening myself, but this idea could become a classic.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

AAvK

The Shapton shows a person using a wooden box with a trangular shaped holder
that permits the user rotate through the grits by rotating the holder. It's a cool set-up. It seems custom made.

Sounds neat, just about any design could be done if it's wood, the right wood.