David W.E. Roberts

Default Very OT - recovering data from a Compact Flash card

Hi,

Googling etc. as usual but I thought perhaps someone on this NG had already
"done it themself".

I have a digital camrea with compact flash cards.

Normally I read these using a PCMCIA adapter for the portable or a Lexar
Jumpshot USB adapter for the bigger boxes.

One card failed to work in the camera.

I checked it using the Lexar and the card seems to be corrupt, but there is
still data on there - about 2Mb on a 16Mb card.

'chkdsk' under Win2K and WinXP can't fix it.

'fsck' under Debian Linux (Knoppix 3.4) can't fix it either.

Anyone know of a good (free if possible) disc fixer which might be able to
recover the data?

Scrabbling desperately to stay within the NG remit, I suppose I could send
it off to a data recovery outfit but I would prefer to Do It Myself :-)

TIA

Dave R

Set Square

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

[...]

You may have already answered this - but just to make sure . . .

Can you see any pictures on it when you put it in the camera - even if you
can't store any further pictures on it? If not, it's probably completely
b*****ed - and won't do anything until re-formatted, which will - of couse -
result in the loss of any data on it.

If the camera *can* see the data, do you have a method of connecting the
camera to one of your computers, to download it that way?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Ziggy

Take a look at www.dfsee.com

IIRC 45 evaluation period.

Regards,

Francis
Chris J Dixon

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

I have a digital camrea with compact flash cards.

Normally I read these using a PCMCIA adapter for the portable or a Lexar
Jumpshot USB adapter for the bigger boxes.

Anyone know of a good (free if possible) disc fixer which might be able to
recover the data?

I had success with http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

You can try it free, to see if anything is recoverable; you only
need to pay if it is going to work.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
David W.E. Roberts

Take a look at www.dfsee.com

IIRC 45 evaluation period.

Trying this now.

My brain is slowly melting - shows how much I have got used to being
'nannied' by graphical interfaces designed for dumb bunny users.

AFAICS the main problem is that the directory holding the images is being
seen as a single file - there is some kind of corruption at the top level,
as there should be a 'My Documents' directory (to keep my iPAQ happy), and
an IMFIXD10 directory/folder to keep the camera happy.

The card seems to contain one very large file, and another couple of zero
length files, all of which have 'garbage' file names.

I am hoping to find a tool that will treat the 'file' as a directory and
recover files from it.

So far it looks as though the card is totally screwed, with bad format and
bad sectors.

Now wondering how this happened - did I let it too near my mobile phone or
something?

Fortunately I have most of the pictures backed up to hard disc - just can't
remeber if I used the card since the last backup.

Ho hum.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Dave R

David W.E. Roberts

"Set Square" wrote in message
snip
You may have already answered this - but just to make sure . . .

Can you see any pictures on it when you put it in the camera - even if you
can't store any further pictures on it?

snip

Unfortunately the way I found out it was buggered was when I put it in the
camera and saw nothing.

Checked it on the PC to confirm, and now trying to fix :-(

Stuart

wrote:

[...]

This tryout might get you out a hole .
Stuart
http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...y/uk/demo.html

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
Mark

wrote:

[...]

Another to try
http://freedownloadswindows.com/wind...My-Photos.html

Good Luck

Rick Dipper

Now wondering how this happened - did I let it too near my mobile phone or
something?

In my experience most of these systems hold the index in memory, and
the data on the disk. Only at intervals do they flush the index
changes onto the disk. As each file is very rarely held in one
contigious lump, you need the index to find all the bits and put them
back together in the right order.

Also I have found most of these system have multiple indexes, so that
various activites can be undertaken at speed. The "fixer" programs use
the multiple indexes to try and reserect the files.

A directory, is only a special type of file, it is not the index.

I would start by reading the device in "raw" (charcater) mode. If you
can read all the 16M they the device itself is not damaged, only the
indexes. If this fails, then the device is most likley damaged. Once
you have read the device, you can sit with the filesystems source
code, and binary dumps of your device and piece it all back together
again. This ls a long boring exercise not to be recommended to anyone
who is not totally desprate. If you pay someone to fo it expect 500
quid a day+, and a few days/weeks work.

In case you are wondering I re-wrote fsck for both BSD and EFS
filesystems.

Rick

geoff

In message , Rick Dipper
writes

Now wondering how this happened - did I let it too near my mobile phone or
something?

In my experience most of these systems hold the index in memory, and
the data on the disk.

So what happens if you use a card reader

you only have the card

--
geoff

Ian Stirling

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
snip
You may have already answered this - but just to make sure . . .

Can you see any pictures on it when you put it in the camera - even if you
can't store any further pictures on it?

snip

Unfortunately the way I found out it was buggered was when I put it in the
camera and saw nothing.

Checked it on the PC to confirm, and now trying to fix :-(

DO NOT use any software that does not specifically state that it can
be used without writing to the device in question.
Otherwise, you may corrupt it further.
Are the pictures of much financial value, or just annoying to lose?
David W.E. Roberts

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
snip
You may have already answered this - but just to make sure . . .

Can you see any pictures on it when you put it in the camera - even if

you
can't store any further pictures on it?

snip

Unfortunately the way I found out it was buggered was when I put it in

the
camera and saw nothing.

Checked it on the PC to confirm, and now trying to fix :-(

DO NOT use any software that does not specifically state that it can
be used without writing to the device in question.
Otherwise, you may corrupt it further.
Are the pictures of much financial value, or just annoying to lose?

I don't even know if I have used the card since the last backup - been
getting a bit sloppy with my housekeeping.

Annoying to lose if there are any not saved, but this is now an interesting
exercise to prepare for a future problem (should it ever occur).

David W.E. Roberts

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
snip
In my experience most of these systems hold the index in memory, and
the data on the disk. Only at intervals do they flush the index
changes onto the disk. As each file is very rarely held in one
contigious lump, you need the index to find all the bits and put them
back together in the right order.

** However they do have to flush any memory buffers before the card is
removed - this should happen each time you power off the camera, at a
minimum. If not, how can you read the card in an external reader? **

Also I have found most of these system have multiple indexes, so that
various activites can be undertaken at speed. The "fixer" programs use
the multiple indexes to try and reserect the files.

A directory, is only a special type of file, it is not the index.

** A while since I looked at this, but doesn't a directory/folder hold the
details of the file name, attributes, and a pointer to the linked list (or
chain or similar) of individual blocks which makes up the body of the file?
AFAICS the camera is using FAT as the format to store data to aid
compatability with PCs when copying pictures. Granted there may be hidden
files which hold 'non-FAT' fast access data, or possibly another partition
on the disc for the camera-specific data, however the FAT partition seems to
be well thrashed. Difficult to draw a comparison with a real disc as there
are no moving parts and therefore there must be something there which
provides a virtual mapping from direct memory address to to head and
cylinder. Quite possibly this is damaged. **

I would start by reading the device in "raw" (charcater) mode. If you
can read all the 16M they the device itself is not damaged, only the
indexes. If this fails, then the device is most likley damaged. Once
you have read the device, you can sit with the filesystems source
code, and binary dumps of your device and piece it all back together
again. This ls a long boring exercise not to be recommended to anyone
who is not totally desprate. If you pay someone to fo it expect 500
quid a day+, and a few days/weeks work.

In case you are wondering I re-wrote fsck for both BSD and EFS
filesystems.

Using DFSee (as recommended elsewhere) to scan the disc I get:
[This is just the end of the report]

"
Continue scanning : 00003AD2
Bad spot found at : 00003B10 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:240
S:

Continue scanning : 00003B11
Bad spot found at : 00003B4F 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:241
S:

Continue scanning : 00003B50
Bad spot found at : 00003B8E 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:242
S:

Continue scanning : 00003B8F
Bad spot found at : 00003BCD 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:243
S:

Continue scanning : 00003BCE
Bad spot found at : 00003C0C 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:244
S:

Continue scanning : 00003C0D
Bad spot found at : 00003C4B 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:245
S:

Continue scanning : 00003C4C
Bad spot found at : 00003C8A 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:246
S:

Continue scanning : 00003C8B
Bad spot found at : 00003CC9 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:247
S:

Continue scanning : 00003CCA
Bad spot found at : 00003D08 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:248
S:

Continue scanning : 00003D09
Bad spot found at : 00003D47 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:249
S:

Continue scanning : 00003D48
Bad spot found at : 00003D86 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:250
S:

Continue scanning : 00003D87
Bad spot found at : 00003DC5 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:251
S:

Continue scanning : 00003DC6
Bad spot found at : 00003E04 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:252
S:

Continue scanning : 00003E05
Bad spot found at : 00003E43 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:253
S:

Continue scanning : 00003E44
Bad spot found at : 00003E82 63 sectors SectorRead RC: 1 Cyl: 0 H:254
S:

Continue scanning : 00003E83

Elapsed time is : 2851 seconds, throughput 2.81 KiB/sec
16002 Bad sectors found! You can use the 'list' command to show,
or the 'export' command to save the list to a file.
When a buffersize larger than 1 has been used (default),
you can use the '-b:1' option on 'scan' to get
maximum precision and minimum number of bad sectors

"

My tentative conclusion is that the card is totally banjaxed and requires a
reformat at minimum.

My other query is:

If there is already a driver mapping the card via the card reader to present
it to the O/S as a disc, will this get in the way of reading and possibly
fixing the raw format of the device?
Presumably the correct way to get at the basic structure of these memory
cards is to have a card reader with a raw device driver which goes directly
into your program. So effectively you are looking at a piece of RAM and not
a pseudo-disc. I guess you can do this with Unix/Linux but can you do this
with recent versions of Windows?

Cheers

Dave R

T i m

On Sun, 9 May 2004 18:20:28 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

AFAICS the main problem is that the directory holding the images is being
seen as a single file - there is some kind of corruption at the top level,
as there should be a 'My Documents' directory (to keep my iPAQ happy), and
an IMFIXD10 directory/folder to keep the camera happy.

Not sure if this is relevant but I had some SmartMedia crash, lockup,
report the wrong size etc.

I found there was a util often provided with the media reader that
will do a low level format on the card and in my case, recovered 2 SM
cards (lost all data though).

For my Sandisk USB SM reader the util was called "SMPREP.EXE" and was
found in the application folder.

Apparently it should be used with a specific device (ie Sandisk reader
in my case).

All the best ..

T i m
Set Square

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

I don't even know if I have used the card since the last backup - been
getting a bit sloppy with my housekeeping.

Annoying to lose if there are any not saved, but this is now an
interesting exercise to prepare for a future problem (should it ever
occur).

I have had similar problems with SmartMedia cards in my Fuji camera. It has
always been the case that if an external device *writes* to a card, the
camera has problems with the card until it has re-formatted it itself. More
recently, I have had occasional problems where the camera has been unable to
write to a card after I have deleted selected images without doing a
re-format.

As a precaution, I have now adopted the following procedu
Format a card in the camera
Take photos as required
*Don't* delete any images - even if they are crap
When the card is full, transfer the images to a computer using an external
card reader, and delete any unwanted ones on the computer
Re-format the card in the camera for future use

The only downside to this is that it reduces the effective card capacity
when I know I've got scrap pictures - but I haven't had any media problems
since adopting this approach.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Ian Stirling

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
snip
[...]

rec.photo.digital is probably a good place to ask.
Rick Dipper

On Mon, 10 May 2004 08:57:05 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
.. .
snip
[...]

In the good old days, you had cylinders heads sectors etc, and you
cound precisely control where data ended up on the disk. Nowdays a
disk is just hugle long streem of sectors, and the disk controller
fales up the cylinders/heads sectors counts. You can alter these
figures to a very large degree, and the things still work.

[...]

I would conclude the same. At this point I would give up on my data.
The physical medium would appear to be damaged in some way.

My other query is:

If there is already a driver mapping the card via the card reader to present
it to the O/S as a disc, will this get in the way of reading and possibly
fixing the raw format of the device?

Now we have establised most disks fake up the cyl/hds/sec figures and
are just lot of sectors, maped onto the physical medium by the disk
controller, you now know thats what the memory card is doing.

Presumably the correct way to get at the basic structure of these memory
cards is to have a card reader with a raw device driver which goes directly
into your program. So effectively you are looking at a piece of RAM and not
a pseudo-disc. I guess you can do this with Unix/Linux but can you do this
with recent versions of Windows?

Unix yes - windoze - no idea.

Cheers

Dave R

[...]