igor

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:59:42 -0500, "news.east.cox.net"
wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have been on the hunt for the most appropriate accessory to use with my
waterstones that is a) portable, b) waterproof or resistant and c) somewhat
non-skid. I tried locating the trays I saw used at a recent Shapton
demonstration (and what can be seen on their website
(www.shaptonstones.com), but didn't have any luck - and for whatever reason
the Shapton folks were unable to tell me.

I surfed the web and, well, there was too much information, I also looked at
several of the hardware web sites. My wife suggested trying Target. Being
the dutiful husband, off I went.

Guess what? I found the perfect accessory to use in Target's Kitchen Goods
section. It's produced by KitchedAid and it's called Silicone Bakeware.
Basically, it's a 9" X 9" baking pan made from rubberized silicone and it's
the right height so as not to interfere with the tool being sharpened.
Waterproof? Check. Non-skid? Check. Portable? Check; heck, it can be
rolled up.

It works great!

Seems that turnabout IS fair play. From the Washington Post:

"Practicality rules in the restaurant galley, where some tools come
straight from the hardware store. A putty knife can make perfect chocolate
curls, and simple polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe can mold an elegant
appetizer. Chefs find such items are often sturdier or less expensive than
the designer widgets sold in kitchen stores."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Mar1.html