San Diego Joe

Default Designing a bed

I'm designing a bed that is to have drawers under it. It never occurred to
me until I put pencil to paper (well mouse to CAD), but would the bed still
have a box spring, or just the mattress?

Any other useful information will be much appreciated.

--
San Diego Joe

Charles Spitzer

the frame holding the drawers together IS the box spring.

look at water beds, for instance.

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
news:1109983110.ac6987af9de5995eedcfa302d58dd5c8@t eranews...
I'm designing a bed that is to have drawers under it. It never occurred to
me until I put pencil to paper (well mouse to CAD), but would the bed
still
have a box spring, or just the mattress?

Any other useful information will be much appreciated.

--
San Diego Joe

Doug Miller

In article 1109983110.ac6987af9de5995eedcfa302d58dd5c8@teran ews, San Diego Joe wrote:
I'm designing a bed that is to have drawers under it. It never occurred to
me until I put pencil to paper (well mouse to CAD), but would the bed still
have a box spring, or just the mattress?

Depends on how high above the floor you wish the top of the mattress to be.

If you want a fairly low profile, then omit the box spring - but you will need
to have a solid platform to lay the mattress on. If a higher profile is
acceptable, then use a box spring - and you need only a frame and slats to
support it.

May depend on the type of mattress, too. I believe some are intended for use
only with a box spring, and others not.

--
Regards,

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when San Diego Joe
wrote:

I'm designing a bed

Read this month's Fine Woodworking

Robert Bonomi

San Diego Joe wrote:
I'm designing a bed that is to have drawers under it. It never occurred to
me until I put pencil to paper (well mouse to CAD), but would the bed still
have a box spring, or just the mattress?

Authoritative answer: "Yes".

depends on the design.

box spring + mattress means drawers end up relatively shallow and low to the
floor.

"Captains bed" type eliminates the box-spring for storage. and a very firm
sleep support.

stoutman

Not in current issue. It was in the previous issue.

wrote:

I'm designing a bed

Read this month's Fine Woodworking

Mike

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:38:19 -0800, San Diego Joe
wrote:

I'm designing a bed that is to have drawers under it. It never occurred to
me until I put pencil to paper (well mouse to CAD), but would the bed still
have a box spring, or just the mattress?

Any other useful information will be much appreciated.

The only thing I would suggest is check the warranty on your mattress
as some require a box spring.
Other than that it's just a matter of height. I have a friend who had
a similar bed frame for a water bed. He later went to a mattress but
with a box spring his wife (she's 4' 10") had a difficult time getting
into the bed. They ended up eliminating the box spring altogether.

Mike

Rick Cook

San Diego Joe wrote:
I'm designing a bed that is to have drawers under it. It never occurred to
me until I put pencil to paper (well mouse to CAD), but would the bed still
have a box spring, or just the mattress?

Any other useful information will be much appreciated.

In our case it's got a waterbed mattress. The bottom is 3/4 plywood (was
MDF -- bad idea. Leaks damage plywood and destroy MDF. DAMHIKT) It's
supported by the frame and the sides and backs of the drawer components.
(Not the drawers themselves. The parts that would be the chest if it was
free-standing.)

--RC

Tom Watson

wrote:

I'm designing a bed that is to have drawers under it. It never occurred to
me until I put pencil to paper (well mouse to CAD), but would the bed still
have a box spring, or just the mattress?

Any other useful information will be much appreciated.

BED SIZES

Twin = 39 x 75.
Twin XL = 39 x 80.
3/4 Size = 47 1/2 x 75.
Full = 53 x 75.
Full XL = 53 x 80.
Queen = 60 x 80.
Super Queen = 66 x 80.
California King = 72 x 84.
King = 76 x 80.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Upscale

"Mike" wrote in message
The biggest thing I learned is that once you build the bed, you get to
build an armoire and two dressers to match.g

I'll assume that obligation is for the married or living with someone
people.