foggytown

Default Un-necessary conmplication?

Why the hell was the posi screw invented when we had perfectly good
Phillips to begin with? It isn't that easy to tell one from the other
and when you use the wrong bit on the wrong screw head it is REALLY
annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned
to the same pit as Betamax and 8 tracks.

FoggyTown

FriscoSoxFan

Because for some unbeknownst reason, not everyone has abandoned philips
for square drive yet?

Dave Hinz

On 3 Mar 2005 12:33:28 -0800, foggytown wrote:
Why the hell was the posi screw invented when we had perfectly good
Phillips to begin with?

Because it doesn't cam out nearly as badly as the Phillips.

It isn't that easy to tell one from the other
and when you use the wrong bit on the wrong screw head it is REALLY
annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned
to the same pit as Betamax and 8 tracks.

Well, Betamax was superior to VHS in image quality, just as Posi is
better than Phillips for actually turning a screw. Popularity and
quality have a relationship that is coincidental at best.

Dave Hinz

Ray

I'll second that! Mac is far better than Windows.

Teamcasa

The Posi-drive screw was originally designed for automated use at GM
assembly plants. It is far better than Phillips.

Dave

foggytown wrote:

Why the hell was the posi screw invented when we had perfectly good
Phillips to begin with? It isn't that easy to tell one from the other
and when you use the wrong bit on the wrong screw head it is REALLY
annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned
to the same pit as Betamax and 8 tracks.

FoggyTown

http://www.usenet.com
Dave Hinz

On 3 Mar 2005 12:59:03 -0800, Ray wrote:
I'll second that! Mac is far better than Windows.

Yes, that's another good example. Windows is very popular, but then
again, many people get the common cold...

San Diego Joe

"Dave Hinz" wrote:

On 3 Mar 2005 12:33:28 -0800, foggytown wrote:
Why the hell was the posi screw invented when we had perfectly good
Phillips to begin with?

Because it doesn't cam out nearly as badly as the Phillips.

It isn't that easy to tell one from the other
and when you use the wrong bit on the wrong screw head it is REALLY
annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned
to the same pit as Betamax and 8 tracks.

Well, Betamax was superior to VHS in image quality, just as Posi is
better than Phillips for actually turning a screw. Popularity and
quality have a relationship that is coincidental at best.

Dave Hinz

Hence the popularity of microsoft windows.
--
San Diego Joe

patrick conroy

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned
to the same pit as Betamax and 8 tracks.

Sorry FoggyT - you're on your own there. I'm a McFeely's Convert.

Dorothy and Richard Shelson

Sorry to come in from left field but I need to ask. What IS a "posi
screw"? We have in Canada a Robertson screw which I am told does not
exist in the US. I think it is far superior to the Phillips. Is that
what you are referring to?

Richard Shelson

foggytown wrote:
Why the hell was the posi screw invented when we had perfectly good
Phillips to begin with? It isn't that easy to tell one from the other
and when you use the wrong bit on the wrong screw head it is REALLY
annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned
to the same pit as Betamax and 8 tracks.

FoggyTown

Duane Bozarth

Dorothy and Richard Shelson wrote:

Sorry to come in from left field but I need to ask. What IS a "posi
screw"? We have in Canada a Robertson screw which I am told does not
exist in the US. I think it is far superior to the Phillips. Is that
what you are referring to?

Pozidrive is another variation of a cross-slot head somewhat similar to
a Phillips..

A Robertson certainly can be obtained in the US altho the "square-head"
moniker is more common. There can be a slight difference in cam angle
of various variations.
Will

You mean Robertson screws I think. LOL

patrick conroy wrote:
"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...

annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned
to the same pit as Betamax and 8 tracks.

Sorry FoggyT - you're on your own there. I'm a McFeely's Convert.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Dave Hinz
wrote:

Because it doesn't cam out nearly as badly as the Phillips.

And Phillips was itself an improvement on Reed, which had skinny slots
and screwdriver bits that broke.

foggytown wrote:
Why the hell was the posi screw invented when we had perfectly good
Phillips to begin with? It isn't that easy to tell one from the other
and when you use the wrong bit on the wrong screw head it is REALLY
annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned
to the same pit as Betamax and 8 tracks.

FoggyTown

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:17:02 GMT, Dorothy and Richard Shelson
wrote:

Sorry to come in from left field but I need to ask. What IS a "posi
screw"? We have in Canada a Robertson screw which I am told does not
exist in the US. I think it is far superior to the Phillips. Is that
what you are referring to?

Richard Shelson

nope. robertson (square drive) is available in the US. it's not even
all that uncommon. pozi-drive is a system that looks almost just
exactly like a phillips, but it isn't compatible. it was designed to
*not* cam out when the screw seats, unlike phillips, which was
designed *to* cam out when the screw seats....
Ray V

explanations for different screw types under Connector Techology.
http://www.hafeleonline.com/usa/support/faq.html
Pozis are used extensively for automotive interiors, look closely next time
you get in your car.

--

Too much is not enough!
rvojtash NOT THIS at comcast (dot) net

CW

You were told wrong.

"Dorothy and Richard Shelson" wrote in message
We have in Canada a Robertson screw which I am told does not
exist in the US.

Robatoy

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

On 3 Mar 2005 12:33:28 -0800, foggytown wrote:
Why the hell was the posi screw invented when we had perfectly good
Phillips to begin with?

Because it doesn't cam out nearly as badly as the Phillips.

It isn't that easy to tell one from the other
and when you use the wrong bit on the wrong screw head it is REALLY
annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned
to the same pit as Betamax and 8 tracks.

Well, Betamax was superior to VHS in image quality, just as Posi is
better than Phillips for actually turning a screw. Popularity and
quality have a relationship that is coincidental at best.

Dave Hinz

Macs and Window boxes.
Robatoy

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

On 3 Mar 2005 12:59:03 -0800, Ray wrote:
I'll second that! Mac is far better than Windows.

Yes, that's another good example. Windows is very popular, but then
again, many people get the common cold...

There are more cockroaches than people on this planet.
Superior numbers do not denote a higher life-form.

Robatoy

In article .com,
"foggytown" wrote:

Why the hell was the posi screw invented when we had perfectly good
Phillips to begin with? It isn't that easy to tell one from the other
and when you use the wrong bit on the wrong screw head it is REALLY
annoying. As far as I'm concerend, posi head screws can be consigned
to the same pit as Betamax and 8 tracks.

FoggyTown

PosiDrive screws were designed for automatic-feed screwdriving robots.
You can tell them from a Philips by noticing that there are small lines
eminating from the centre of the screw-head at a 45 degree angle from
the main slots.
Robertson screws don't work in automated-feed machines because the
driver-bit can (at 45 degrees where the bit refuses to enter the hole)
jam the machine.
McFeely makes great screws...good steel and they stick to the driver
nicely.
The guy who invented the slotted screw should be forced to listen to
Celine Dion.

0¿0
˜

Rob

Unisaw A100

Robatoy wrote:
The guy who invented the slotted screw should be forced to listen to
Celine Dion.

And Gordon Lightfoot.

And Anne Murray.

In one continuous sitting.

Seriously though, the guy who invented the slotted screw
was a genius considering the alternative of the day. It's
the guys who continue to make them/force them on us,
they should be the ones forced to listen to Celine, Gordon,
Anne and (insert your fingers on a chalkboard celebrity
singer here).

UA100
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Robatoy
wrote:

There are more cockroaches than people on this planet.
Superior numbers do not denote a higher life-form.

aol Me too ! /aol

B a r r y

Unisaw A100 wrote:

And Anne Murray.

She would make me want to bang my head against a spinning table saw
blade. How anyone can listen to her and not kill themselves is beyond me.

Barry

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:17:02 GMT, Dorothy and Richard Shelson wrote:
Sorry to come in from left field but I need to ask. What IS a "posi
screw"?

Looks enough like a Phillips to confuse the unwary, but doesn't fit
a Phillips bit very well at all. Works excellent with the right
bits, though.

We have in Canada a Robertson screw which I am told does not
exist in the US.

We call that "square drive screws" here, the only people I've ever
seen call it the Robertson are Canadians (he was Canadian, I'd guess).

I think it is far superior to the Phillips. Is that
what you are referring to?

Nope, it's an entirely different kind of screw, altogether.

Dave Hinz

wrote:

Because it doesn't cam out nearly as badly as the Phillips.

And Phillips was itself an improvement on Reed, which had skinny slots
and screwdriver bits that broke.

Reed & Prince maybe?

Dave "Why on earth do I know this stuff?" Hinz

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:18:45 -0500, Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

Well, Betamax was superior to VHS in image quality, just as Posi is
better than Phillips for actually turning a screw. Popularity and
quality have a relationship that is coincidental at best.

Macs and Window boxes.

Yup, although that one tends to be awfully emotionally charged, and people
with the inferior technology (Windows) usually don't know enough about
the better one (Macs) to know any better. With screws that are obviously
hard to use, vs. screws that don't suck at all, it's easier to be
objective.

Dave Hinz

Lee Michaels

"Dave Hinz" wrote

Yup, although that one tends to be awfully emotionally charged, and people
with the inferior technology (Windows) usually don't know enough about
the better one (Macs) to know any better. With screws that are obviously
hard to use, vs. screws that don't suck at all, it's easier to be
objective.

It is also much easier to be objective if you are the screwor as opposed to
the screwee.

Silvan

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
The guy who invented the slotted screw should be forced to listen to
Celine Dion.

And Gordon Lightfoot.

And Anne Murray.

In one continuous sitting.

Cher.

Seriously though, the guy who invented the slotted screw
was a genius considering the alternative of the day. It's
the guys who continue to make them/force them on us,

It's kinda funny, actually. I haven't used any of those Roberson screws, so
maybe, just maybe, they're actually different. I hate Phillips and Allen
screws because they strip out too easily, and you have to turn them into
slotted screws to get them out. Torx screws are a little better, but
still, sometimes you have to turn them into slotted screws to get them out.
Personally, therefore, I prefer slotted screws for many applications. Like
any application where I might have to remove the screw some day. Or lag
screws, even better, if I can use them.

they should be the ones forced to listen to Celine, Gordon,
Anne and (insert your fingers on a chalkboard celebrity
singer here).

Cher, Cher, Cher.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:23:59 -0500, Silvan wrote:
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
The guy who invented the slotted screw should be forced to listen to
Celine Dion.

And Gordon Lightfoot.

And Anne Murray.

In one continuous sitting.

Cher.

Seriously though, the guy who invented the slotted screw
was a genius considering the alternative of the day. It's
the guys who continue to make them/force them on us,

It's kinda funny, actually. I haven't used any of those Roberson screws, so
maybe, just maybe, they're actually different.

They really are. I used them for my deck (stainless in - gasp - composite
deck boards), and the worked _very_ well.

I hate Phillips and Allen
screws because they strip out too easily, and you have to turn them into
slotted screws to get them out. Torx screws are a little better, but
still, sometimes you have to turn them into slotted screws to get them out.

Wow. If you're screwing up Torx screws, you might be using
one size too small of a bit. It'll fit, but it'll strip much
easier. I don't think you _can_ strip a Torx screw with the right
size bit.

they should be the ones forced to listen to Celine, Gordon,
Anne and (insert your fingers on a chalkboard celebrity
singer here).

Cher, Cher, Cher.

What's that guy...Neville something, big honking mole on his
face, and the vocal equivalent of "Kenny G"?

Dave Hinz wrote:
On 3 Mar 2005 12:33:28 -0800, foggytown wrote:
Why the hell was the posi screw invented when we had perfectly good
Phillips to begin with?

"Because it doesn't cam out nearly as badly as the Phillips."

One man's "bad" is another's "good". The popularity of the phillips
head screw is their use in drywall. Try shooting those screws that
don't cam out into some rock and see what happens to your efficiency.

ray

Doug Miller

In article , Silvan wrote:

Personally, therefore, I prefer slotted screws for many applications. Like
any application where I might have to remove the screw some day.

If you ever need to remove the screw, the Robertson (square-drive) head is
*far* easier to use than a slot.

Or lag screws, even better, if I can use them.

Yabbut... they're not very aesthetically pleasing. :-)

--
Regards,

G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , Dave Hinz
wrote:

What's that guy...Neville something, big honking mole on his
face, and the vocal equivalent of "Kenny G"?

Aaron Neville, one of the old Neville Brothers.

Gerry

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:55:08 -0500, G.E.R.R.Y. wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz
wrote:

What's that guy...Neville something, big honking mole on his
face, and the vocal equivalent of "Kenny G"?

Aaron Neville, one of the old Neville Brothers.

There's more than one? That's not good.

Buck Frobisher

"Silvan" wrote in message
It's kinda funny, actually. I haven't used any of those Roberson screws,
so
maybe, just maybe, they're actually different. I hate Phillips and Allen
screws because they strip out too easily, and you have to turn them into
slotted screws to get them out. Torx screws are a little better, but
still, sometimes you have to turn them into slotted screws to get them
out.
Personally, therefore, I prefer slotted screws for many applications.
Like
any application where I might have to remove the screw some day. Or lag
screws, even better, if I can use them.

here's a very short history of the Robertson screw:

http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Ont...son_screws.htm

and here's the company's website: http://www.robertsonscrew.com/

They even thought to colour-code the screwdrivers to make the hole sizes
easier to remember. "Hey, throw me a red Robertson, willya?"

You can blame Henry Ford's greed and P. L. Robertson's stubbornness if you
regret the non-availability in the U.S. even today.

--
"Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

regards,

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario

Unisaw A100

Silvan wrote:
Cher.

Cher's Fair Well Tour.

The best four words ever spoken/written.

Now, let's see if it sticks.

UA100
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:06:33 -0500, Buck Frobisher wrote:

You can blame Henry Ford's greed and P. L. Robertson's stubbornness if you
regret the non-availability in the U.S. even today.

Of Ford's greed, there's little doubt, but I've been buying Robertson
hardware for more than a decade in normal retail hardware outlets. The
non-availability of which you speak doesn't exist.