Hax Planks

Default Bullseye shellac - 50% wax

I've been trying to dewax a quart can of this stuff for a couple weeks
now. It looks like the best I will be able to do is to get 50% dewaxed
product from it, and that is being generous. The Flexner book says to
expect 5% wax. They must be decanting the dewaxed portion off to make
Seal Coat and spray bombs and selling what's left to suckers (like me)
as regular shellac. What a gyp.
Pat Barber

Perhaps you are using the wrong product ???

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=72

The folks that make it say it's 100% "wax free"

Hax Planks wrote:

I've been trying to dewax a quart can of this stuff for a couple weeks
now. It looks like the best I will be able to do is to get 50% dewaxed
product from it, and that is being generous. The Flexner book says to
expect 5% wax. They must be decanting the dewaxed portion off to make
Seal Coat and spray bombs and selling what's left to suckers (like me)
as regular shellac. What a gyp.

George

"Hax Planks" wrote in message
.net...
I've been trying to dewax a quart can of this stuff for a couple weeks
now. It looks like the best I will be able to do is to get 50% dewaxed
product from it, and that is being generous. The Flexner book says to
expect 5% wax. They must be decanting the dewaxed portion off to make
Seal Coat and spray bombs and selling what's left to suckers (like me)
as regular shellac. What a gyp.

Sure you don't just have an out-of-date can? Check it. Esterfication seems
the best answer. Second best - water contamination.

GerryG

I suspect your reply is right on. I've used their dewaxed shellac a few times,
and all was well. On the 50% dewaxed note, I think he's seeing something that
Flexner doesn't mention. I had some shellac a few years ago that I tried to
decant, and only 1/2 of it settled out of the wax. It stayed this way for
several weeks, and I sent a query to Jeff Jewitt. He replied they probably
included an additive to suppress the wax settling. There's nothing at all
wrong with that, and it just means less stirring. Don't remember the brand,
but other shellacs have decanted okay.

OTOH, for the past maybe 8 years I've bought dewaxed shellac flakes from
Homestead.

GerryG

Hax Planks wrote:

I've been trying to dewax a quart can of this stuff for a couple weeks
now. It looks like the best I will be able to do is to get 50% dewaxed
product from it, and that is being generous. The Flexner book says to
expect 5% wax. They must be decanting the dewaxed portion off to make
Seal Coat and spray bombs and selling what's left to suckers (like me)
as regular shellac. What a gyp.

Big Rob

If you don't mind mixing it yourself you can buy dewaxed flakes. In
the end I think this is simpler than decanting and losing some of the
product in the process. I bought dewaxed flakes from a website called
woodfinishingsupplies.com. The clarity of the finish is much better
than the Park's shellac from a can that I had been using previously.

George wrote:
"Hax Planks" wrote in message
.net...
I've been trying to dewax a quart can of this stuff for a couple

weeks
now. It looks like the best I will be able to do is to get 50%

dewaxed
product from it, and that is being generous. The Flexner book says

expect 5% wax. They must be decanting the dewaxed portion off to

make
Seal Coat and spray bombs and selling what's left to suckers (like

me)
as regular shellac. What a gyp.

Sure you don't just have an out-of-date can? Check it.

Esterfication seems
the best answer. Second best - water contamination.

Silvan

Hax Planks wrote:

expect 5% wax. They must be decanting the dewaxed portion off to make
Seal Coat and spray bombs and selling what's left to suckers (like me)
as regular shellac. What a gyp.

Probably not. I've got some stuff I mixed up from raw flakes that's at
least 40% wax. The bullseye stuff is probably made up from something along
the same general line. I wouldn't say this means they are ripping you off
on purpose. Just that if you want dewaxed shellac, don't buy their regular
waxy stuff and expect to decant a useful quantity of it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan wrote:
Hax Planks wrote:

expect 5% wax. They must be decanting the dewaxed portion off to

make
Seal Coat and spray bombs and selling what's left to suckers (like

me)
as regular shellac. What a gyp.

Probably not. I've got some stuff I mixed up from raw flakes that's

at
least 40% wax. The bullseye stuff is probably made up from something

along
the same general line. I wouldn't say this means they are ripping

you off
on purpose. Just that if you want dewaxed shellac, don't buy their

regular
waxy stuff and expect to decant a useful quantity of it.

According to their label their regular stuff is dewaxed. I've never
seen any Bulls-eye NON-DE-waxed shellac on the shelves.

But as many have noted, mixing your own is the way to go.
Shellac is best used when fresh.

--

FF

Hax Planks

Pat Barber says...

Perhaps you are using the wrong product ???

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=72

The folks that make it say it's 100% "wax free"

I was talking about their regular shellac, not the seal coat.
Hax Planks

GerryG says...

I suspect your reply is right on. I've used their dewaxed shellac a few times,
and all was well. On the 50% dewaxed note, I think he's seeing something that
Flexner doesn't mention. I had some shellac a few years ago that I tried to
decant, and only 1/2 of it settled out of the wax. It stayed this way for
several weeks, and I sent a query to Jeff Jewitt. He replied they probably
included an additive to suppress the wax settling. There's nothing at all
wrong with that, and it just means less stirring. Don't remember the brand,
but other shellacs have decanted okay.

OTOH, for the past maybe 8 years I've bought dewaxed shellac flakes from
Homestead.

GerryG

That's interesting. Maybe there is an additive. I'd hate to call it a
gyp if it wasn't, but I'd be amazed if there was less than 25% wax the
way it looks now, additive or not. Buying the flakes is more
economical. You can get a pound of the dewaxed color of your choice for
$20 at Woodcraft and I saw all varieties for $17 online. The seal coat
is about $10-12/quart, which is reasonably competitive with the flakes
if you like the color and need to get it from any nearby hardware store.
I guess the moral of the story is buy dewaxed from the start if you want
it dewaxed.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:41:41 -0500, the inscrutable Hax Planks
spake:

I've been trying to dewax a quart can of this stuff for a couple weeks
now. It looks like the best I will be able to do is to get 50% dewaxed
product from it, and that is being generous. The Flexner book says to
expect 5% wax. They must be decanting the dewaxed portion off to make
Seal Coat and spray bombs and selling what's left to suckers (like me)
as regular shellac. What a gyp.

Maybe you shouldn't have use that jug of 70% isopropyl alcohol
from the medicine cabinet. Is that water or wax? g

I just made a jar of SuperBlonde from the flakes I got from those
olden times when O'Deen was de King of Sheelack. There is NO wax,
no bug parts, just nice shellac.

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------
Prometheus

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:41:41 -0500, Hax Planks
wrote:

I've been trying to dewax a quart can of this stuff for a couple weeks
now. It looks like the best I will be able to do is to get 50% dewaxed
product from it, and that is being generous. The Flexner book says to
expect 5% wax. They must be decanting the dewaxed portion off to make
Seal Coat and spray bombs and selling what's left to suckers (like me)
as regular shellac. What a gyp.

It still makes for a really nice finish, regardless.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Hax Planks

Larry Jaques says...

Maybe you shouldn't have use that jug of 70% isopropyl alcohol
from the medicine cabinet. Is that water or wax? g

I didn't try to thin it before trying to get it to settle out. I would
never use drug store IPA to try to thin shellac. I did thin some with
denatured alcohol and it did make it worse.