GerryG

I suspect your reply is right on. I've used their dewaxed shellac a few times,
and all was well. On the 50% dewaxed note, I think he's seeing something that
Flexner doesn't mention. I had some shellac a few years ago that I tried to
decant, and only 1/2 of it settled out of the wax. It stayed this way for
several weeks, and I sent a query to Jeff Jewitt. He replied they probably
included an additive to suppress the wax settling. There's nothing at all
wrong with that, and it just means less stirring. Don't remember the brand,
but other shellacs have decanted okay.

OTOH, for the past maybe 8 years I've bought dewaxed shellac flakes from
Homestead.

GerryG

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:41:35 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

Perhaps you are using the wrong product ???

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=72

The folks that make it say it's 100% "wax free"

Hax Planks wrote:

I've been trying to dewax a quart can of this stuff for a couple weeks
now. It looks like the best I will be able to do is to get 50% dewaxed
product from it, and that is being generous. The Flexner book says to
expect 5% wax. They must be decanting the dewaxed portion off to make
Seal Coat and spray bombs and selling what's left to suckers (like me)
as regular shellac. What a gyp.