max

Default Which side of the fence do you run on?

Ok, in a post a month or so ago I picked out of another topic that people
rip with the useable piece to the left of the blade. This doesn't make sense
to me. I have a $400 fence tweaked to be accurate, align the saw to death so
there is no burning, machined a custom splitter and use magnetic hold downs.
To rip multiple pieces of the same width I adjust the fence, and run the
piece until I have as many pieces as I need. To make more than one with the
good piece on the left, I would have to move the fence each time and I doubt
I could get the pieces critically accurate.
So... Which side of the fence do you rip on?
max

Edwin Pawlowski

"max" wrote in message
Ok, in a post a month or so ago I picked out of another topic that people
rip with the useable piece to the left of the blade. This doesn't make
sense
to me. I have a $400 fence tweaked to be accurate, align the saw to death
so
there is no burning, machined a custom splitter and use magnetic hold
downs.
To rip multiple pieces of the same width I adjust the fence, and run the
piece until I have as many pieces as I need. To make more than one with
the
good piece on the left, I would have to move the fence each time and I
doubt
I could get the pieces critically accurate.
So... Which side of the fence do you rip on?
max

Only exceptions are" need thin strips (see the "can the bandsaw do this"
thread) or plywood that I need wider than my 30" capacity. I'll cut 11 7/8'
off a 48" piece to get 36"

Right about the accurate fence. Why screw around otherwise?

"max" wrote in message
Ok, in a post a month or so ago I picked out of another topic that people
rip with the useable piece to the left of the blade. This doesn't make

sense
to me. I have a $400 fence tweaked to be accurate, align the saw to death

so
there is no burning, machined a custom splitter and use magnetic hold

downs.
To rip multiple pieces of the same width I adjust the fence, and run the
piece until I have as many pieces as I need. To make more than one with

the
good piece on the left, I would have to move the fence each time and I

doubt
I could get the pieces critically accurate.
So... Which side of the fence do you rip on?
max

Do you mean which side of the blade?
Clearly, most tablesaws are set up to have the wanted piece between the
fence and the blade (that is why there is a measuring scale for this) except
when circumstances indicate otherwise (not enough room to do this, some
strange bevel etc...) and that is how everyone I have seen working has used
them.

-j

Fence to the right, waste to the left.

Patriarch

max wrote in
:

snip
Which side of the fence do you
rip on? max

Left. Left tilt Unisaw.

Except when I use the right side, to rip a long board out of a panel. And
even then, I'll likely come back and clean up the factory edge, on the left
side of the fence.

But what do I know? That's how I was taught. Aren't you the guy who ran
the cabinet shop for several decades?

Patriarch

Jim

"max" wrote in message
Ok, in a post a month or so ago I picked out of another topic that people
rip with the useable piece to the left of the blade. This doesn't make

sense
to me. I have a $400 fence tweaked to be accurate, align the saw to death

so
there is no burning, machined a custom splitter and use magnetic hold

downs.
To rip multiple pieces of the same width I adjust the fence, and run the
piece until I have as many pieces as I need. To make more than one with

the
good piece on the left, I would have to move the fence each time and I

doubt
I could get the pieces critically accurate.
So... Which side of the fence do you rip on?

Whichever side is the handiest to make the cut.
Jim

Slowhand

"max" wrote in message
snippage
So... Which side of the fence do you rip on?

Other than cutting less than 12" from a full sheet of plywood (which is not
very often) everything gets cut (or ripped) on the left of the fence.
SH

Leon

"max" wrote in message
Ok, in a post a month or so ago I picked out of another topic that people
rip with the useable piece to the left of the blade. This doesn't make
sense
to me. I have a $400 fence tweaked to be accurate, align the saw to death
so
there is no burning, machined a custom splitter and use magnetic hold
downs.
To rip multiple pieces of the same width I adjust the fence, and run the
piece until I have as many pieces as I need. To make more than one with
the
good piece on the left, I would have to move the fence each time and I
doubt
I could get the pieces critically accurate.
So... Which side of the fence do you rip on?

Which question do you want answered? Which side of the blade or which side
of the fence?

For normal standard 90 degree ripping the keeper piece should be on the left
side of the fence and right side of the blade.

mac davis

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:20:12 GMT, max wrote:

Ok, in a post a month or so ago I picked out of another topic that people
rip with the useable piece to the left of the blade. This doesn't make sense
to me. I have a $400 fence tweaked to be accurate, align the saw to death so
there is no burning, machined a custom splitter and use magnetic hold downs.
To rip multiple pieces of the same width I adjust the fence, and run the
piece until I have as many pieces as I need. To make more than one with the
good piece on the left, I would have to move the fence each time and I doubt
I could get the pieces critically accurate.
So... Which side of the fence do you rip on?
max

left? right?

how about good part of the stock (finished dimension?) between fence and blade
or not between fence and blade...

hell, that's just as confusing!

I was taught that the piece you're "saving" goes up against the fence and the
"waste" piece goes on the side of the blade away from the fence..
I do reverse this if the piece I'm cutting is too thin to (IMO) safely cut
between the fence and blade, especially if I only need one cut..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Art Lindquist

My usable piece is always between blade and fence right of the blade, that's
the dimension you set your fence for usually. There are of course
circumstances, such as tilted blade, when the piece you want will end up on
the left side, but for me that is a rarity. On my delta contractors saw
fence settings go to right of the blade, if your saw is tuned properly, what
you set is what you cut. Why make it any more difficult than that?