brocpuffs

Default which side, again?

Once upon a time, there was this woodworker fool who wanted to make a
cabinet a bit over 4 feet high.

He liked to make things hard for himself, so he decided to use
purpleheart and maple. After all, the gal its for, likes purple-

It was to have both shelves and drawers, so anyone looking at it would
forever wonder if it were a shelved cabinet or a drawered bookcase.

In a further attempt to make life more difficult, the woodworker
decided to make one of the higher shelves glass-enclosed, with a glass
door in the front. Red glass, deep red, on three sides and clear
lightly textured glass in the door.

Several thousand purpleheart splinters later, the woodworker finally
got 'round to the frames for the glass.

It was decided that the width of the front and glass pieces was a bit
excessive (the glass would be heck to replace if broken) so they were
both divided into two horizontal panes.

After mislocating the center frame piece of the front by an inch or
so, it was further decided to add a second center frame piece so there
could be a small vertical pane between the two horizontal ones. You
know, different color glass or something.

So it did get a tad difficult keeping track of parts for the frames.
Each side has a dado for the glass and a mortise or tenon at each end,
so none were interchangeable. Not one.

"OK," thinks the woodworker, "is this the left side or the right side?
Or is this the left side of the left side or the right side of the
left side, Or the left or right of the center part? Or the right side
of the left side or the left side of the right side? Of the left side
or the right side of the front or of the back or the left side or the
right side?

The woodworker picked up several hundred more purpleheart splinters,
and got the frames made.

While SWMBO was measuring for the glass, since the woodworker couldn't
tolerate the sight of a ruler, she noticed the center frame part of
the back side was also about a half inch or so off center.

hades. I don't care!

James.woodworker.I.think

Bridger

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 05:28:38 GMT, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Once upon a time, there was this woodworker fool who wanted to make a
cabinet a bit over 4 feet high.

... ouch!

One thing I do with things like that, in an inconspicuous place, or a
place to be sanded, on each part I will pencil or mark something like,
LLS (Left lower stile), or MR (Middle rail) -- or whatever tickles your
fancy and works for you. It's saved me from a number of mistakes, that
is, when I actually read what I have written down.

I generally start with a cad drawing. from that I generate a
spreadsheet with a cut list. it has part numbers, part names,
materials and dimensions. I write the part numbers on each piece as I
rough cut them and transfer the number to a new surface as I work each
surface.

I still get them mixed up.

Bridger

Jswee

Heh,heh,heh... Oh, the stories I could tell. Glad to know I'm not the only
one who makes the occasional boo-boo.

Jswee

Curmudgeon in Training

Larry C in Auburn, WA

Show me a man who makes no mistakes and I'll show you a man that does
nothing.
Author unknown, but I assume someone said that.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"brocpuffs" wrote in message

[...]

Mike G

Doesn't everyone's projects go that way. I thought it was normal.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"brocpuffs" wrote in message

[...]

Silvan

Mark & Juanita wrote:

LLS (Left lower stile), or MR (Middle rail) -- or whatever tickles your
fancy and works for you. It's saved me from a number of mistakes, that
is, when I actually read what I have written down.

Yeah, just make sure the little labels make sense to you a week or two
later. (DAMHIKT.)

For walnut, I use little pieces of masking tape.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

The Davenports

Scared the snot out of myself once when I had a project that I _DIDN'T_ have
boo-boos like that. It was also the ONLY time that it ever happened in, oh
let's see...2 1/2 decades of this stuff.

Mike

[...]

Young_carpenter

I do hope you post pictures of the project. I think it will look cool
anyway. The last time I did a project I don't know how many times I routed
the groove on the out side of the rail instead of the inside. I don't know
how many times I measured wrong and got the stiles short. I don't know how
many times I measured and measurements went wrong anyway. You get the
picture. The really cool thing is that I know the mistakes but I have yet
to hear "hey how come there is a groove here?" or "how come the bottom stile
measures 4" width and not 3" like all the others. Heheh they think it is
supposed to be that way. Welcome to the school of hardwood hard knocks
BTW you can use chalk for your Parts labeling it usually sands off easily.

--
Young Carpenter

plenty of practice, and you usually make way more noise than intended"

{Put the fiddler back "on" the roof to reply}

--

"brocpuffs" wrote in message

[...]

Luigi Zanasi

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 02:54:39 -0500, "John Keeney"
scribbled:

Right, both pieces get the same unique mark any where two or more
come together, where they come together and oriented the same way.
Saves my sanity.
I start out with the letters of the english alphabet and progress
through the greek skipping easily confused ones like "l" & "I",
"M" & "W", "N" & "Z".

Hey, using Greek letters is my idea! You stole it!

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
John Keeney

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 02:54:39 -0500, "John Keeney"
scribbled:

Right, both pieces get the same unique mark any where two or more
come together, where they come together and oriented the same way.
Saves my sanity.
I start out with the letters of the english alphabet and progress
through the greek skipping easily confused ones like "l" & "I",

Hey, using Greek letters is my idea! You stole it!

Hey, I had to do something, I was fresh out of useable letters
and my poor little brain was to confused with which end I was
supposed to be measuring from to make some up from scratch.

Flat Roof Side Window Gary Holt UK diy 1 October 6th 03 07:49 PM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk'sback panel to side panels? (and other questions) Bay Area Dave Woodworking 6 August 28th 03 06:02 PM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk's back panel to side panels? (and other questions) Leon Woodworking 5 August 27th 03 04:08 AM