barry martin

Default Fence Novice Question

Hi Suzanne!

S We need to have a wood fence put up on only one side of the property
S (pretty much a straight line with one turn towards the house with a
S gate. I was going to get some estimates from fence builders and I was
S just wondering--are there any questions I should be asking them? I know
S nothing about fences or how they are built. Do I need to ask about
S warranties or specific questions about how they anchor or build them?

I'd be asking for the specific type of wood (cedar would be good),
wether the fence is single or double-sided, how much 'see-through'
there is, how tall the fence will be.

The representative who installed our fence suggested it match the
neighbour's cedar fence so our view matched. He also noted the
neighbour's fence wasn't quite built correctly: it is a double-sided
fence but the boards are spaced a bit too far apart so at an angle can
see through. Also noted the horizontal supports were put in wrong:
wide part is horizontal and should have been vertical.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Forrest Scotty The box, she's breaking apart Capt'n
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
wayne

make sure they have liability insurance and they mention they will get any
permits required and they will "call before they dig" to check for
underground utilities!. Make sure you are putting the fence where you
actually can. Some places allow a fence on a property line other places
have setback requirements!

As always check with your neighbors ask them what they like about their
fence and what they wished they could do different. Different parts of the
country have different plusses/minuses for fencing! In Colorado I would
look for how they attach the fence to the posts. We get wind up to 70MPH
out on the plains and I would want any fence bolted thru to make sure it did
not blow down! Also 6x6 posts are a lot better than 4x4's!

Wayne

news:1780835927.199.404.9404371.1682414906.RIMEGat ...