Rob Mitchell

Default Incra 1000 SE crosscut fence

My wonderful wife and kids bought me one of these for my birthday
recently and it just arrived. The first shock was that taxes and
shipping and customs brokerage (plus taxes on that) to Toronto was
nearly $70CDN! (Hey Woodpecker, just MAIL it, it's much cheaper)

I installed it, tuned it up, and with the extruded aluminum fence, it
cut's 90's great.

However, there are some serious usability problems with this fence I
think.

When you move from 90 to 45, you have to find the hex driver, loosen the
fence and move it over. Of course this screws up the '1 time alignment'
procedure.

The fence itself is too short, and the expansion feature is useless. To
expand the fence, I have to find the hex driver, and loosen a screw.
And there are 3 separate friction fit scales that all have to be aligned
(and not moved) to use the measuring capability. This is definitely not
easier or more accurate than a tape measure. The scales are also too
small and hard to read.

I wouldn't rely on the built in measuring tapes for anything involving
the expansion feature.

The flip stop itself seems to work ok, but I'm not sure if I'd use the
dual arms or not. Maybe. I don't think its that much easier than a
clamp and a piece of wood.

I had hoped that the flipstop/fence would let me do without my measuring
tape and make for more accurate cuts. I seriously doubt it.

This thing is really intended to go in the left hand slot. I never use
my left hand slot, only the right one. (I don't know why, force of
habit I guess). So I figured that I could reverse the fence by taking
it apart, and I could. Except the measuring tapes (useless anyway) are
all backwards now, or upside down, I get to pick.

I took the fence off and installed a nice simple, square and LONG fence
made of MDF and formica. Zero clearance, very nice. Not quite as stiff
as the aluminum extrusion though.

I think I'll use the fence for something else, maybe for my drill press.
If I was going to do it again, I'd just get the V27 instead of the
1000SE for sure. Being in Canada, there is no cost effective way to
return it.

Does anyone out there use this fence productively? Have I completely
missed the point of it?

Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

In article ,
Rob Mitchell writes:
Does anyone out there use this fence productively? Have I completely
missed the point of it?

I've got the 1000 (no SE) and love it. Aside from not being able
to use the measuring tape, and the length of the fence (which you
can by longer ones of), does it work OK? Mine does. I just don't
expect the measuring thing to work.

My complaints:

1. Fence is slippery. Solution: Added particleboard subfence with
adhesive sandpaper.
2. Need hex driver to adjust frequently. Solution: Suffer for now,
by lever knobs someday.

Otherwise happy.

Chris

--
Chris Richmond | I don't speak for Intel & vise versa
Rob Mitchell

Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~ wrote:
In article ,
Rob Mitchell writes:

Does anyone out there use this fence productively? Have I completely
missed the point of it?

I've got the 1000 (no SE) and love it. Aside from not being able
to use the measuring tape, and the length of the fence (which you
can by longer ones of), does it work OK? Mine does. I just don't
expect the measuring thing to work.

Yes, the protracter part works very well. Its the SE fence with 'flip
stop' that I can't figure out how to use accurately and effectively.
Seems you have to adjust the bolts too.

My complaints:

1. Fence is slippery. Solution: Added particleboard subfence with
adhesive sandpaper.
2. Need hex driver to adjust frequently. Solution: Suffer for now,
by lever knobs someday.

Otherwise happy.

Chris

Larry Jaques

Rob Mitchell wrote:
My wonderful wife and kids bought me one of these for my birthday
recently and it just arrived. The first shock was that taxes and
shipping and customs brokerage (plus taxes on that) to Toronto was
nearly $70CDN!

You're in Canada? ALWAYS specify USPS and tell anyone shipping
anything to you NEVER to use UPS. Their customs fee, even for a
$0.01 sample item, is $35. USPS doesn't charge for it, but they
require a customs sticker, which probably equates to taxes for you.
When I ship things there, I use the net cost for insurance/customs,
leaving out the shipping fees.

I hope you (or SWMBO) wrote to the seller to let them know about it.
UPS is despicable in that way, and I've never heard anyone mention
that UPS told them of that fee beforehand.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---

Rob Mitchell

WoofWoof wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

You're in Canada? ALWAYS specify USPS and tell anyone shipping
anything to you NEVER to use UPS. Their customs fee, even for a
$0.01 sample item, is $35. USPS doesn't charge for it, but they
require a customs sticker, which probably equates to taxes for you.
When I ship things there, I use the net cost for insurance/customs,
leaving out the shipping fees.

Absolutely! I learned this lesson about UPS 15 years or more ago and
nothing much has changed. USPS is fine for almost everything as long as
you don't need the goods real fast (and honestly, how often is that
true?). Some companies will refuse to ship anything other than UPS or
will otherwise refuse to let the buyer specify the shipping method (I
think they call it "Customer Service"). In return, I refuse to deal with
those companies (fair exchange).

USPS shipments will be handled in Canada by Canda Post. They will charge
GST and (probably but not always) PST. They will also charge a $5
flat-rate handling fee. If they don't find you at home they will hold
the package for pickup at your local postal outlet (usually much closer
than courier companies).

Yeah, I normally use the USPS for bringing stuff in when I can, but my
wife didn't know to specify it.

Usually the Feds don't collect the PST (Provincial Sales Tax, like state
tax), so you save 8%.

Although I hate paying taxes as much as the next guy, how much is the
government losing by NOT collecting this. In the Atlantic provinces
where they have HST (Harmonized Sales Tax, combined federal and
provincial) the feds collect 15%, then split with the province. Makes
sense to me, but Ontario won't give up their rights to the Fed's, they
prefer to lose the tax revenue.

Rob

(apologies to the Americans in the group who probably don't care about
PST, GST, or HST)

(or Canadians

Patriarch

Rob

(apologies to the Americans in the group who probably don't care about
PST, GST, or HST)

(or Canadians

No. Actually, it's fascinating. I mean, how else does a country provide
free health care?

And given the way things are developing here in the 'lower 48', looking for
alternatives seems really prudent. It's clear to me that we have no
monopoly on smarts.

There are days when BC seems to be calling my name...

Patriarch
Nova

WoofWoof wrote:

Absolutely! I learned this lesson about UPS 15 years or more ago and
nothing much has changed. USPS is fine for almost everything as long as
you don't need the goods real fast (and honestly, how often is that
true?). Some companies will refuse to ship anything other than UPS or
will otherwise refuse to let the buyer specify the shipping method (I
think they call it "Customer Service"). In return, I refuse to deal with
those companies (fair exchange).

USPS shipments will be handled in Canada by Canda Post. They will charge
GST and (probably but not always) PST. They will also charge a $5
flat-rate handling fee. If they don't find you at home they will hold
the package for pickup at your local postal outlet (usually much closer
than courier companies).

I think the problem with UPS and many other trucking outfits is the fact
that, unless the Canadian laws have changed recently, U.S. truck drivers are
not allowed to work in Canada. My brother-in-law was a terminal manager of
one of the trucking lines. It was one of his pet peeves that Canadian
driver are free to drive where ever they please in the United States but an
American driver either has to drop the trailer at the border to be picked up
by a Canadian driver or the truck's load has to be transferred to a Canadian
truck at one of the U.S. terminals.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

This is not the problem, American trucks drive in Canada all the time.
The problem is UPS' outrageous brokerage fees.

WoofWoof

Nova wrote:

I think the problem with UPS and many other trucking outfits is the fact
that, unless the Canadian laws have changed recently, U.S. truck drivers are
not allowed to work in Canada.

I'd be amazed if that's the case (and I stand to be corrected). I do,
though, believe that US drivers have to pay some kind of licence to haul
loads in Canada. (Come to think of it, that's actually 20 year old info
.... don't know if it's current). And I believe the same is true in reverse.

I see so many US truck's here and Canadian trucks in the US that it
doesn't seem feasible that everyone's changing drivers at the border.

And as far as UPS is concerned, Fedex et al (although being higher than
USPS) never had these exorbitant fees. And they are subject to the same
restrictions, if any, as UPS.

Rick Cook

WoofWoof wrote:
Nova wrote:

I think the problem with UPS and many other trucking outfits is the fact
that, unless the Canadian laws have changed recently, U.S. truck
drivers are
not allowed to work in Canada.

I'd be amazed if that's the case (and I stand to be corrected). I do,
though, believe that US drivers have to pay some kind of licence to haul
loads in Canada. (Come to think of it, that's actually 20 year old info
... don't know if it's current). And I believe the same is true in reverse.

I see so many US truck's here and Canadian trucks in the US that it
doesn't seem feasible that everyone's changing drivers at the border.

And as far as UPS is concerned, Fedex et al (although being higher than
USPS) never had these exorbitant fees. And they are subject to the same
restrictions, if any, as UPS.

I have a friend who drives from Canada to the US all the time. She's
American and her husband is Canadian. I know they don't change drivers
at the border and she's never said anything about having to pay to haul
loads to and from Canada.

I'll ask her the next time I talk to her.

--RC
Greg O

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
k.net...
WoofWoof wrote:
Nova wrote:

[...]

I have a friend that drives truck in Canada, from the US frequently. Seems
to be no problem.
Greg

WoofWoof

Rick Cook wrote:

WoofWoof wrote:

I'd be amazed if that's the case (and I stand to be corrected). I do,
though, believe that US drivers have to pay some kind of licence to
haul loads in Canada. (Come to think of it, that's actually 20 year
old info ... don't know if it's current).

I have a friend who drives from Canada to the US all the time. She's
American and her husband is Canadian. I know they don't change drivers
at the border and she's never said anything about having to pay to haul
loads to and from Canada.

My recollection was based on an incident in the early 80's. The company
I was working for had some parts being made by an outfit in Michigan.
Schedule was really tight so the guys there, when they had the first
parts ready, threw them on a truck and personally drove them here. They
were stopped by the OPP (or as those guys later called them "The
Highwaymen") because they didn't have some kind of license for the truck
that they needed to transport goods in Ontario/Canada. They made them
pay on the spot (they had a credit-card machine!)and sent them on their
way. It was only applicable to commercial vehicles of course (and
perhaps even only trucks over a certain weight).

Like I say, 20 year old info and pre-NAFTA as well. I'd actually be
suprised if it still applies (since NAFTA) but the earlier poster seemed
adamant that that US drivers couldn't haul loads in Canada. I don't
believe that but I wondered if it was some similar licence requirement
that he was confusing.
Nova

WoofWoof wrote:

I'd be amazed if that's the case (and I stand to be corrected). I do,
though, believe that US drivers have to pay some kind of licence to haul
loads in Canada. (Come to think of it, that's actually 20 year old info
... don't know if it's current). And I believe the same is true in reverse.

snip

After doing a "Google" search it looks like the restrictions barring US commercial
drivers from working in Canada were lifted under the free trade agreement (NAFTA)
in 1992.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
(Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Rob Mitchell

Patriarch wrote:
Rob

(apologies to the Americans in the group who probably don't care about
PST, GST, or HST)

(or Canadians

No. Actually, it's fascinating. I mean, how else does a country provide
free health care?

And given the way things are developing here in the 'lower 48', looking for
alternatives seems really prudent. It's clear to me that we have no
monopoly on smarts.

There are days when BC seems to be calling my name...

Patriarch

Well, sometimes the grass is greener on the other side too. While we
have a system which provides good critical care to everyone, even if you
can't pay for it, the system is straining at the edges, and costs are
going up here too. In the past 3 months, both my Father and a friend
were in different local hospitals for major surgery (cancer and bypass).
One had excellent care, and the other was subjected to a 4 week stay
because of a comedy of errors. Some people complain that they can't get
a family doctor while foreign trained doctors are often turned away.
And doctors in small towns are run ragged because they are the only
doctor and on call 24/7.

But we'd love to have you up in the Great White North.

Rob