Bruce

Default Incra Ultra router fence question

Hello,
I've been thinking more about making my own router table lately and
given time constraints, I've considered buying the fence versus building
one (I'd rather make projects than tools).
group archives seem to smile kindly on the Incra Ultra fence with most saying
the 16" would be plenty for most uses.

I mainly want a fence just for straight line routing, but the jig feature
would come in handy when I expand my comfort zone.

The one concern I have is "how sturdy is this thing?"

It looks like the fence is only supported by the extension mechanics and
I can imagine a bit of wobble unless the fence ends are somehow clamped to
the table sides. Is this an issue?
If I had the time to spare I'd try to build the Pat Warner fence, but the
Incra woudl fit right in on the holiday wish list.

Any comments +/- from the gallery as to the stability of the Incra
design?

Best deal with a limited search turns up woodpeckers at $195 (whom I have
delt with in the past, great store!)

Thanks a bunch!

-Bruce

(email is minus the numbers and the "spam", sorry! 8^)

DJ Delorie

Bruce writes:
It looks like the fence is only supported by the extension mechanics
and I can imagine a bit of wobble unless the fence ends are somehow
clamped to the table sides. Is this an issue?

While it would seem like a weak setup, if the plate the jig is
attached to is firmly attached to your table it just doesn't move
unless you *really* force it. But on my table, I can clamp the ends
to the table just in case I think I'll be putting some force on it. I
think I've done that once ever.

http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/router/
Bruce

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:30:22 -0700, DJ Delorie wrote
(in message ):

http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/router/

Thanks, the info I read suggested it was sturdy.

I like your table, I remember looking at it when you first posted the
pictures. The marble effect shore is purdy!

-Bruce

Erik

Get the new Incra LS positioner (fence). It comes either 17" or 25" and is rock
solid. I have the 17" LS-Super System, includes the Wonderfence (
http://tinyurl.com/ww7e ) on a 27x42 table. Woodpeckers http://tinyurl.com/ww8f
calls it the Incra LS Joinery/Shaping System. You can also get it in 32" or 52"
for use on a table saw/router setup. I really enjoy working with this system.
Insert standard disclaimer here. Just a happy user.

--
Erik "Grumpa" Ahrens
Apprentice Termite

"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

DJ Delorie

Bruce writes:
I like your table, I remember looking at it when you first posted the
pictures. The marble effect shore is purdy!

It's just Formica laminate. It happens to match our kitchen too, but
I only chose it because it was the only gloss laminate they had. The
rest were eggshell texture, which would be bad for a router table.

Bay Area Dave

I bought the Twin Linear even though the unit on display at last year's
WW show in San Mateo, CA exhibited some looseness when locked down. The
salesman explained that he had removed a shim from the lock lever to
facilitate demos. When I got mine it is solid as a rock, just like he
promised. I've never had the fence move during routing operations.

dave

Bruce wrote:

[...]

Never Enough Money

The Incra fence is very solid. It's a geeat purchase. However, you
should also consider the competing fence from JoinTech. I don't own
either but have been doing tradeoffs between them for s purchase this
spring -- about the time I'll have enough money...

There are several things I like about JoinTech:
there eye-peice has an anti-parallax feature and is not as wide so you
can clean underneath it without removing it.
They use some sacrificial pieces that fit between the fence right at
the bit to acheive zero clearance cutting.

Their fence attachments use a dovetail technique to attach -- seems
much stronger and stable.

I saw demo's of both at a recent woodworkers show. Both are nice but I
believe JoinTech edges out Incra slightly.

Incra, however, has won the marketing war .. so far.

Oh, and JoinTech is made in America.

Bruce wrote in message ...
[...]

Bruce

Those are nice accessories, but they are a bit beyond what I'm willing to
spend 8^)

I'm really just after the basic fence and positioner, I can build the rest of
the doo0dads like fence faces etc. later. The wonder fence is tempting, but
just too costly as a package.

-Bruce

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 9:07:03 -0700, Erik wrote
(in message ):

Get the new Incra LS positioner (fence). It comes either 17" or 25" and is
rock
solid. I have the 17" LS-Super System, includes the Wonderfence (
http://tinyurl.com/ww7e ) on a 27x42 table. Woodpeckers
http://tinyurl.com/ww8f
calls it the Incra LS Joinery/Shaping System. You can also get it in 32" or
52"
for use on a table saw/router setup. I really enjoy working with this
system.
Insert standard disclaimer here. Just a happy user.

Bruce

I looked at the Jointech (on-line) but couldn't find a whole bunch of details
compared with the Incra. I agree, marketing wars really tend to dominate the
"features" of one manufacturer over another 8^)

-Bruce

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:21:39 -0700, Never Enough Money wrote
(in message ) :