mac davis

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:20:12 GMT, max wrote:

Ok, in a post a month or so ago I picked out of another topic that people
rip with the useable piece to the left of the blade. This doesn't make sense
to me. I have a $400 fence tweaked to be accurate, align the saw to death so
there is no burning, machined a custom splitter and use magnetic hold downs.
To rip multiple pieces of the same width I adjust the fence, and run the
piece until I have as many pieces as I need. To make more than one with the
good piece on the left, I would have to move the fence each time and I doubt
I could get the pieces critically accurate.
So... Which side of the fence do you rip on?
max

left? right?

how about good part of the stock (finished dimension?) between fence and blade
or not between fence and blade...

hell, that's just as confusing!

I was taught that the piece you're "saving" goes up against the fence and the
"waste" piece goes on the side of the blade away from the fence..
I do reverse this if the piece I'm cutting is too thin to (IMO) safely cut
between the fence and blade, especially if I only need one cut..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing