doc44

Default Blade Sharpening Opinion

I just received my new Wood Worker II for Forrest today. I plan to install
it tomorrow. Now the question is do I send in the old Craftsman blade in for
sharpening or just keep it around for ruff work. Is it even worth the
shipping and sharpening cost?

Edwin Pawlowski

"doc44" wrote in message
I just received my new Wood Worker II for Forrest today. I plan to install
it tomorrow. Now the question is do I send in the old Craftsman blade in
for sharpening or just keep it around for ruff work. Is it even worth the
shipping and sharpening cost?

Depends. If it is the $10 blade, it is probably not worth spending $15 to
have it sharpened. If it is a $50 blade, by all means, get it done and keep
it for when your neighbor asks you to rip a couple of 4 x 4s. Always handy
to have a spare blade.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Walt Conner

Now the question is do I send in the old Craftsman blade in for sharpening

$15 to have it sharpened.

Would you please tell me where you are talking about sending it to be
sharpened. Does Craftsman have a sharpen service? I wouldn't think Forrest
would fool with a Craftsman blade? I have a Craftsman blade I would like to
have sharpened soon. No good sharpen service here.

Walt Conner

Phisherman

Walt:

Check out Forrest Manufacturing Company (1-800-733-7111). These
folks are the pros. They sharpen any carbide saw blade. They will
even replace tips. Cost ranges, depending on # teeth, blade size.
For example, 16-32 teeth up to 12" dia and up to 3/16" kerf runs about
$18+shipping. They claim 3-5 day turn around.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:56:47 GMT, "Walt Conner"
wrote:

Now the question is do I send in the old Craftsman blade in for sharpening

$15 to have it sharpened.

Would you please tell me where you are talking about sending it to be
sharpened. Does Craftsman have a sharpen service? I wouldn't think Forrest
would fool with a Craftsman blade? I have a Craftsman blade I would like to
have sharpened soon. No good sharpen service here.

Walt Conner

doc44

I was thinking about sending it to Forrest. It is the blade that came on my
saw when I bought it. Just don't know if the blade is worth the expense. You
can buy a new Woodworker II for forest for $89

wrote:

Now the question is do I send in the old Craftsman blade in for
sharpening

$15 to have it sharpened.

Would you please tell me where you are talking about sending it to be
sharpened. Does Craftsman have a sharpen service? I wouldn't think Forrest
would fool with a Craftsman blade? I have a Craftsman blade I would like
have sharpened soon. No good sharpen service here.

Walt Conner

Edwin Pawlowski

"Walt Conner" wrote in message
link.net...
Now the question is do I send in the old Craftsman blade in for
sharpening

$15 to have it sharpened.

Would you please tell me where you are talking about sending it to be
sharpened. Does Craftsman have a sharpen service? I wouldn't think Forrest
would fool with a Craftsman blade? I have a Craftsman blade I would like
to have sharpened soon. No good sharpen service here.

Walt Conner

Craftsman does not have a service that I know of, but there are many other
places. Forrest is one, I've use Ridge Carbide
http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/html/sharpening.htm My DeWalt blade came
back better than new. A 40 tooth blade will cost $12.75 + shipping. I sent
a couple of Feuds along with the DeWalt. Good job on all of them.

Forrest and Ridge are in business to make money. They make and sell new
blades, they sharpen old blades. Yes, they will do your Craftsman as well as
any other brand. Router bits too. As long as the blade was decent to begin
with, have it sharpened. There will always be rough work to be done and
you'd rather use a low cost blade for that.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Leon

"Walt Conner" wrote in message
link.net...
Now the question is do I send in the old Craftsman blade in for
sharpening

$15 to have it sharpened.

Would you please tell me where you are talking about sending it to be
sharpened. Does Craftsman have a sharpen service? I wouldn't think Forrest
would fool with a Craftsman blade? I have a Craftsman blade I would like
to have sharpened soon. No good sharpen service here.

Walt Conner

While Forrest does an excellent job and that is where I send my blades, they
are in business to make money and not discriminate against brands of blades.
I send mine in with instructions to do such and such repairs and to call me
if the repairs will be more than x amount of dollars.

John

Probably less expensive to just replace the Crapsman blade than to
resharpen.

Blades that cost (and are worth) more than around $50 are probably
worth resharpening. Blades that cost less than around $25-30 are
probably a waste of money to resharpen. Save for doing the rough cuts
or cutting in wood that might have buried metal/nails/etc and save the
Forrest for the finish cuts and use in good wood

John

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:39:13 -0500, "doc44"
wrote:

I just received my new Wood Worker II for Forrest today. I plan to install
it tomorrow. Now the question is do I send in the old Craftsman blade in for
sharpening or just keep it around for ruff work. Is it even worth the
shipping and sharpening cost?

Nova

Leon wrote:

While Forrest does an excellent job and that is where I send my blades, they
are in business to make money and not discriminate against brands of blades.
I send mine in with instructions to do such and such repairs and to call me
if the repairs will be more than x amount of dollars.

In my area their are about eight local saw sharpening services. They are listed
in the yellow pages under "Saw - Sharpening & Repair" and also "Sharpening
Services". I asked a few contractors who they would recommend before selecting
one. I get my saw, planer and jointer blades sharpened at the same place. I
recently found out that, unfortunately, they don't straighten bent blades.

Leon, I was wondering what Forrest charged to straighten your blade when you
tilted the blade with a zero clearance insert in the saw. About two weeks ago I
did the same thing to my WWII.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Leon

"Nova" wrote in message

Leon, I was wondering what Forrest charged to straighten your blade when
you
tilted the blade with a zero clearance insert in the saw. About two weeks
ago I
did the same thing to my WWII.

LOL.. You know Jack it has been about 2 years since I had done that and
was well on my way to forgetting that brilliant move.

They charge by the hour and minimum is $6.75.
To sharpen, straighten, test cut and return shipping, $42. Not cheap but
the blade cut like new again.

Take a look here.

http://www.forrestblades.com/sharpprice.htm

Tim Douglass

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:52:59 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

They charge by the hour and minimum is $6.75.
To sharpen, straighten, test cut and return shipping, $42. Not cheap but
the blade cut like new again.

Take a look here.

http://www.forrestblades.com/sharpprice.htm

I'm curious about how you package the blade for shipping. Do you just
use cardboard or would it make sense to build a custom blade case for
shipping them?

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message

I'm curious about how you package the blade for shipping. Do you just
use cardboard or would it make sense to build a custom blade case for
shipping them?

Tim Douglass

Cardboard works. That is how mine came back also. Wrap it in a couple
thicknesses of newspaper, sandwich between two heavy sheets of cardboard and
off it goes.

Tim Douglass

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:07:30 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message

I'm curious about how you package the blade for shipping. Do you just
use cardboard or would it make sense to build a custom blade case for
shipping them?

Tim Douglass

Cardboard works. That is how mine came back also. Wrap it in a couple
thicknesses of newspaper, sandwich between two heavy sheets of cardboard and
off it goes.

UPS? Post Office? FedEx?

I should have asked that the first time. I'm not sure I'd trust UPS
with a $100 saw blade unless it was wrapped in armor plate.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Edwin Pawlowski

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message

UPS? Post Office? FedEx?

I should have asked that the first time. I'm not sure I'd trust UPS
with a $100 saw blade unless it was wrapped in armor plate.

Any of the above. I used UPS because they pickup at work every day. I've
shipped and received very expensive items via UPS with no problems. With
the millions of packages they handle, they have a very low claim rate. Saw
blades are rather rugged anyway. I've shipped $5,000 electronic controllers
with them.

Leon

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
..forrestblades.com/sharpprice.htm

I'm curious about how you package the blade for shipping. Do you just
use cardboard or would it make sense to build a custom blade case for
shipping them?

I used the same HD card board container that the blade originally comes in.

Patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
m:

I should have asked that the first time. I'm not sure I'd trust UPS
with a $100 saw blade unless it was wrapped in armor plate.

Any of the above. I used UPS because they pickup at work every day.
I've shipped and received very expensive items via UPS with no
problems. With the millions of packages they handle, they have a very
low claim rate. Saw blades are rather rugged anyway. I've shipped
$5,000 electronic controllers with them.

We regularly sent millions of dollars worth of electronic equipment with
UPS every month. As others have mentioned, national borders can raise the
need for preplanning.

More losses seem to have occured from mishandling in the warehouses than we
experienced with UPS or FedEx.

And you can insure...

Patriarch

Eric J. Comeau

Hi guys:
A saw is a saw, unlike a ford car that only ford garage wants to work on it,
you can get it fixed at any good shop. I say fixed because there is a lot
more to a saw then just sharpening it. A cheap saw is punched and sharpen a
little and sold to some sucker out there. A good saw is cut by laser or
water today, heat treated, tensions, leveled and if carbide or stellite, the
tips are installed.

About every community has some kind of saw sharpening service but many of
them have no training or minimum training. The saw should be sharpen on the
face and the top of the tooth. Many saws will need to have the tension
adjusted and the lumps taken out. Most of these small saws, the lumps are
the biggest problems. Lumps are cause by heat. You remember that boxy
plank that was pinching the saw and your wife was talking to you and you
stop feeding to answer here, that will do it. Sometimes it does not take
much. I do my own saw but I have had to straighten a few small saw for my
previous boss.

Have to ever cursed those jig saw blades that do not cut. I have seen many
cheap ones that are punched then the teeth are set. On one side you get a
true corner but on the other side the corners and edges are all rounded. I
said true corner because I did not know what to call it, because they are
certainly not sharp. Buy a better quality blade and buy a saw with a long
stroke and you will wonder why you kept that $10 saw around so long.

Eric
. net...

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Sad Tale: Leitz Tooling Systems-"Free" Unisaw blade sharpening Rudy Woodworking 6 August 30th 04 08:36 AM
DIY planer blade sharpening revisitied:-) Lyndell Thompson Woodworking 0 March 25th 04 03:15 AM