Neil Larson

Default Question about Dust Collection with a Delta Contractor Saw

I have an 8 year old Delta contractor saw that I have conected to my delta
DC. I used a 14" generic TS adapter and boxed it in to fit the delta. I also
put a couple ramps in to assist in the dust movement. The question is how in
the h**l do I block the back of the saw off to contain all the dust. I made
a cover that fit around all the motor mounts and the belt but now I can't
tilt my blade.

Anybody figure out a better way to do it?

Nitromaster

Lawrence L'Hote

"Neil Larson" wrote in message
I have an 8 year old Delta contractor saw that I have conected to my delta
DC. I used a 14" generic TS adapter and boxed it in to fit the delta. I
also put a couple ramps in to assist in the dust movement. The question is
how in the h**l do I block the back of the saw off to contain all the dust.
I made a cover that fit around all the motor mounts and the belt but now I
can't tilt my blade.

Anybody figure out a better way to do it?

FWIW, sometime ago ,I decided to 'improve' the efficiency of the dust
collection from my Unisaw. I plugged some holes with duct tape and others,
like the tilt crank, I covered the slot(s) with some of that thin magnetic
sheeting. It was apparent when I was cutting my next piece of wood the
'new-and-improved' system was NOT working as well as the old. If would
appear that you need a large "wash" of air to clear the dust and I was
allowing only a small area for air to enter my system... Off came the
sheeting and plugs. You might try some of that magnetic sheeting with your
saw. YMMV

Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

Greg O

"Neil Larson" wrote in message
I have an 8 year old Delta contractor saw that I have conected to my delta
DC. I used a 14" generic TS adapter and boxed it in to fit the delta. I
also put a couple ramps in to assist in the dust movement. The question is
how in the h**l do I block the back of the saw off to contain all the dust.
I made a cover that fit around all the motor mounts and the belt but now I
can't tilt my blade.

Anybody figure out a better way to do it?

Nitromaster

I have a 5 year old Delta contractors saw. I have a shop built hopper on the
bottom where I connect my dust collector, 4" opening. Nothing else is
sealed, covered, what ever, and I am satisfied with the dust collection from
the saw. If the dust gets under the table, the collector gets it. I can
watch dust get sucked through the slot in the blade insert. The only
improvement would be an over arm guard with a dust hood/blade guard, but I
am not ready to go there yet.
I have the Horrible Freight, $159 on sale, dust collector.
I do not believe you will benefit closing up the back of the saw unless you
have a very small, (CFM), dust collector.
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"Neil Larson" wrote in message

The question is how in the h**l do I block the back of the saw off to
contain all the dust. I made a cover that fit around all the motor mounts
and the belt but now I can't tilt my blade.

Anybody figure out a better way to do it?

Rare earth magnets. Made the back from 1/4 plywood and it comes off in
seconds.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Nate Perkins

"Neil Larson" wrote in
:

I have an 8 year old Delta contractor saw that I have conected to my
delta DC. I used a 14" generic TS adapter and boxed it in to fit the
delta. I also put a couple ramps in to assist in the dust movement.
The question is how in the h**l do I block the back of the saw off to
contain all the dust. I made a cover that fit around all the motor
mounts and the belt but now I can't tilt my blade.

Anybody figure out a better way to do it?

Nitromaster

I use 1/4" hardboard with cutouts for the belt, etc. It's secured with
magnets. When I need to tilt the blade, I have to remove the panel.
Fortunately the majority of my cuts are not with the blade tilted.

DIYGUY

Seems to me that FWW published an article some while back about how to
make a back for this very saw. Was rather involved with lots of cutouts
in some 1/4" plywood if I recall. It did allow for tilting the arbor.
Still had lots of holes but I guess it did enough of a good job that FWW
decided to write it up. Wish I could remember the year but then there
are lots of things I wish for in my dotage. Anyone with a library care
to enlighten us on the issue?

Nate Perkins wrote:
"Neil Larson" wrote in
:

I have an 8 year old Delta contractor saw that I have conected to my
delta DC. I used a 14" generic TS adapter and boxed it in to fit the
delta. I also put a couple ramps in to assist in the dust movement.
The question is how in the h**l do I block the back of the saw off to
contain all the dust. I made a cover that fit around all the motor
mounts and the belt but now I can't tilt my blade.

Anybody figure out a better way to do it?

Nitromaster

I use 1/4" hardboard with cutouts for the belt, etc. It's secured with
magnets. When I need to tilt the blade, I have to remove the panel.
Fortunately the majority of my cuts are not with the blade tilted.

Nate Perkins

DIYGUY wrote in news:raUNd.380$I3.68
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Seems to me that FWW published an article some while back about how to
make a back for this very saw. Was rather involved with lots of cutouts
in some 1/4" plywood if I recall. It did allow for tilting the arbor.
Still had lots of holes but I guess it did enough of a good job that FWW
decided to write it up. Wish I could remember the year but then there
are lots of things I wish for in my dotage. Anyone with a library care
to enlighten us on the issue?

A search of the online index makes me wonder if it's the Nov/Dec issue of
2000 ... "Dust Proof Your Contractor's Saw" by Dick McDonough?

I'd like to build one of those. I guess it's time for a trip to the
library.

Thanks for the tip.

George

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
25.201...
DIYGUY wrote in news:raUNd.380$I3.68
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Seems to me that FWW published an article some while back about how to
make a back for this very saw. Was rather involved with lots of cutouts
in some 1/4" plywood if I recall. It did allow for tilting the arbor.
Still had lots of holes but I guess it did enough of a good job that FWW
decided to write it up. Wish I could remember the year but then there
are lots of things I wish for in my dotage. Anyone with a library care
to enlighten us on the issue?

A search of the online index makes me wonder if it's the Nov/Dec issue of
2000 ... "Dust Proof Your Contractor's Saw" by Dick McDonough?

I'd like to build one of those. I guess it's time for a trip to the
library.

That's one. Depending on the age of your saw, might not work properly.
Sort of a combination of the new Delta sloped ramp and a loose plywood
cutout. Only one cutout, though, so it may not be the one the DIYGUY
recalls.