Rob Stokes

Default Wood Gloat

All this time, and I've never gloated before. I kinda like it!

Bunch o' guys that hang out on another forum got together in
September/October to mill a free maple. the tree was part of a homestead,
planted in 1880, and used to like the driveway, the owners wanted it to got
to something other than firewood. We were more than happy to oblige.

After a couple of weekends cutting, milling (Alaskan chain saw mill) and 8
weeks being kiln dried (in and out of the kiln 12 times to relieve the
stress's), we brought home the stack today. Most of it's curly, some of it's
a full (clear) 24" wide, most of it's dead flat.

http://www.robswoodworking.com/woodb...maple_pile.jpg

9/4 KD curly maple, 1023 bd ft...cost works out to $0.80/bd ft.

Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

Jaime

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 04:59:58 GMT, "Rob Stokes"
wrote:

http://www.robswoodworking.com/woodb...maple_pile.jpg

That is some nice looking wood. :-)

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Rob Stokes wrote:
http://www.robswoodworking.com/woodb...maple_pile.jpg

9/4 KD curly maple, 1023 bd ft...cost works out to $0.80/bd ft.

Linda Lovelace had nothing on you. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Patriarch

"Rob Stokes" wrote in

http://www.robswoodworking.com/woodb...maple_pile.jpg

9/4 KD curly maple, 1023 bd ft...cost works out to $0.80/bd ft.

And even worse, those are Canadian $, aren't they?

Major suckage!

Patriarch
Silvan

Rob Stokes wrote:

9/4 KD curly maple, 1023 bd ft...cost works out to $0.80/bd ft.

Maybe the vacuum your suckage has created will draw some of that cold ass
air back into Kanukistan where it belongs.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

charlie b

YOU SUCK!

Sorry, that was the obligatory response.

You ARE going to resticker/restack that pile, right?

You do have other wood available. Even curly
maple could get boring on the 20th piece. Or
maybe not.

Let's see, resaw to 1/16th inch, 30 pieces
per plank x 1000 = 30,000! You could do
ALL the walls and ceiling in your house and
have plenty left over!

YOU REALLY, REALLY SUCK!

charlie b
Thomas Bunetta

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message news:iFjKd.50508snip
After a couple of weekends cutting, milling (Alaskan chain saw mill) and 8
weeks being kiln dried (in and out of the kiln 12 times to relieve the
stress's), we brought home the stack today. Most of it's curly, some of

it's
a full (clear) 24" wide, most of it's dead flat.

http://www.robswoodworking.com/woodb...maple_pile.jpg

9/4 KD curly maple, 1023 bd ft...cost works out to $0.80/bd ft.

Rob

You did a better job than Monica L.!
Congrats!
Tom

jo4hn

Rob Stokes wrote:
All this time, and I've never gloated before. I kinda like it!

[snip]
With that kind of suckage, you could turn Winnepeg into a seaport in a
half hour.

That said, let's talk about paint.
mahalo,
jo4hn
John T

I hate you!

Slowhand

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message

9/4 KD curly maple, 1023 bd ft...cost works out to $0.80/bd ft.

Nice score.
SH - The "and yes, you suck" woodworker

Joe C.

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message
[...]

You so completely, utterly, definitely, categorically, explicitly,
specifically, absolutely, doubtlessly, positively, unequivocally,
unquestionably...

....Suck.

nice score.

JC

wrote:

All this time, and I've never gloated before. I kinda like it!

Bunch o' guys that hang out on another forum got together in
September/October to mill a free maple. the tree was part of a homestead,
planted in 1880, and used to like the driveway, the owners wanted it to got
to something other than firewood. We were more than happy to oblige.

After a couple of weekends cutting, milling (Alaskan chain saw mill) and 8
weeks being kiln dried (in and out of the kiln 12 times to relieve the
stress's), we brought home the stack today. Most of it's curly, some of it's
a full (clear) 24" wide, most of it's dead flat.

http://www.robswoodworking.com/woodb...maple_pile.jpg

9/4 KD curly maple, 1023 bd ft...cost works out to $0.80/bd ft.

Rob

Thou suckest!

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

Vic Baron

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message
[...]

Thou sucketh big time!

Vic

Ba r r y

wrote:

9/4 KD curly maple, 1023 bd ft...cost works out to $0.80/bd ft.

Nine quarter is garbage. Good wood comes in 4/4, 8/4, 12/4.

Your maple is too big for 8 and too small for 12. I'll be glad to haul
it off to make more room for your good stuff.

All I require is some microbrew, and some help loading. Don't worry,
we'll have that crap out of there in no time.

BTW. you suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. G

Barry

Rob Stokes

Microbrew did play a rather large roll in the manufacturing process of this
pile of solid sawdust(not at the same time the chainsaws were doing their
thing though). So too did several container loads of chocolate chip cookies
and a rather large bull named Thor.. but that's another story for another
day

Rob

--

wrote:

9/4 KD curly maple, 1023 bd ft...cost works out to $0.80/bd ft.

Nine quarter is garbage. Good wood comes in 4/4, 8/4, 12/4.

Your maple is too big for 8 and too small for 12. I'll be glad to haul
it off to make more room for your good stuff.

All I require is some microbrew, and some help loading. Don't worry,
we'll have that crap out of there in no time.

BTW. you suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. G

Barry

Rob Stokes

Jamie, just tell JOAT to pull his damned tongue out of his cheek, to get off
his butt and to welcome you to the rec... (he's harmless, seriously!)

To tell me I suck, after I post a smug post as I did is a compliment (to
me). The more "you suck"'s I get, the better I did.

....And I think I dun good!

Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Jaime" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:07:17 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

Fri, Jan 28, 2005, 12:16am
(Jaime) puts out:
That is some nice looking wood. :-)

If you're going to stick arond here, you're going to have to be
respectful.

Now, apologize for what you said, and tell the guy he sucks.

I will consider that after I read the FAQ for this newsgroup. If there
is one could someone point me in that direction please. Thanks.

Dave Balderstone

In article Y2EKd.61072$Ob.13166@edtnps84, Rob Stokes
wrote:

To tell me I suck, after I post a smug post as I did is a compliment (to
me). The more "you suck"'s I get, the better I did.

...And I think I dun good!

Rob? You suck at sucking.

Jaime

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 04:12:40 GMT, "Rob Stokes"
wrote:

Jamie, just tell JOAT to pull his damned tongue out of his cheek, to get off
his butt and to welcome you to the rec...

Welcoming me is up to him. In life I've learned you can never force a
man to do what he doesn't want to do.

To tell me I suck, after I post a smug post as I did is a compliment (to
me). The more "you suck"'s I get, the better I did.

...And I think I dun good!

I think you did great too and am wondering what your plans are for the
wood but I cannot bring myself to tell you that you s***. What do you
propose on making with this wood?

Silvan

Jaime wrote:

I think you did great too and am wondering what your plans are for the
wood but I cannot bring myself to tell you that you s***. What do you
propose on making with this wood?

Do you have some theological objection to speaking the truth? This guy
sucks so much they need to modify the OED and put his name into the
definition of the word. The only way he could possibly suck more would be
if the whole mess had been black walnut, and someone had paid him to take
it, and some little ol' widder wimminz had given him $50,000 worth of
industrial iron for free to get it out of her barn and make more room for
her cats.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Jaime

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:49:58 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Do you have some theological objection to speaking the truth? This guy
sucks so much they need to modify the OED and put his name into the
definition of the word. The only way he could possibly suck more would be
if the whole mess had been black walnut, and someone had paid him to take
it, and some little ol' widder wimminz had given him $50,000 worth of
industrial iron for free to get it out of her barn and make more room for
her cats.

I am sorry but I will not and can not say anything to anyone I do not
wish to say.

I'm a beginning woodworker and enjoy the hobby very much. I came here
to learn more because since highschool have always enjoyed working
with my hands and love the way wood feels in my hands when I am making
something with it. I love the way it smells when I am cutting it and
I enjoy the pride I feel when I have made something nice by my own
hand that I can use for myself or sell or give to friends.

I can find a Yahoo woodworking group to join.
Sorry to have offended you.

Silvan

J T wrote:

That pile has to do until Sunday. That's when we get together and
distribute it...where it will be taken to several homes, stickered and
drooled on..

Well, great Rob, the Woodworking Gods had thought you had forgotten
them; but, I assurred them you'd come thru. Let me know when you're
prepared to ship their fair share, and I'll provide the address.

What, you're not going to insist that he include six nubile virgins as
additional offerings? You must be getting old. Um. The woodworking gods
must be getting old.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Mike Marlow

wrote:

[...]

Man... Jamie - take a breath. Nobody's picking on you. Surely you can
discern a little humor? So it's not your chosen style of humor, I'm sure
you can at least recognize the humor that others choose. Relax and hang
around. There's plenty of good stuff here and there's plenty of not so good
stuff. Just like anything else in life. You just have to sort out what you
want and let the rest slide. And... don't take everything so dogoned
seriously.
--

-Mike-

Dave in Fairfax

Jaime wrote:
snip
I can find a Yahoo woodworking group to join.
Sorry to have offended you.

Aw Hell, Silvan. Now ya went and scared (s)him off. Come back
Jaime, Come back.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Jaime

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 02:46:10 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

Aw Hell, Silvan. Now ya went and scared (s)him off. Come back
Jaime, Come back.

I'm back.

Oh yeah..... I am a *she*. :-)

Jaime

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:29:21 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Man... Jamie - take a breath. Nobody's picking on you. Surely you can
discern a little humor? So it's not your chosen style of humor, I'm sure
you can at least recognize the humor that others choose. Relax and hang
around. There's plenty of good stuff here and there's plenty of not so good
stuff. Just like anything else in life. You just have to sort out what you
want and let the rest slide. And... don't take everything so dogoned
seriously.

I didn't know it *was* humour but I reread the posts and I do now.
I'm still not telling anyone they suck, however. ;-)
Lots of good workworking info here I've noticed.

And for whoever said to me I was never married....I was married 20
years ago but he was an abusive drunk so I divorced him.

Silvan

posted & mailed

Jaime wrote:

I can find a Yahoo woodworking group to join.
Sorry to have offended you.

Dude, chill out. You haven't offended anyone. We're *teasing* you. It has
long been the practice here on the Wreck (ie rec.woodworking) to tell
someone how much he sucks when he has a "gloat." The original poster in
this thread most assuredly has a gloat. By telling him how much he sucks,
we reaffirm how gloatable his gloat is, and make him feel all warm and
fuzzy and stuff. It's all part of the Wreck culture, and things have been
done this way for years. Getting told you suck is about the highest honor
we can offer.

You are *not* obligated to participate in this silliness. Many don't.
Loving wood and woodworking is a great thing. We all do. We also give
each other a hard time. Like the way Larry Jaques is always ranting about
the evils of staining walnut or using poly, and the way I'm always singling
him out and giving him a hard time about everything for no particular
reason. We're a bunch of smart alecks. JOAT is one of the smarteyest
alecks of all, although I don't guess we've ever had a contest to determine
who is actually the smarteyest aleck of all. Hell, it might be me. Or
Larry Jacques. It's probably Larry. Definitely. Definitely Larry. See,
there I go singling him out again, and somewhere in the Pacific northwest
the guy is scratching his head and wondering what he did to deserve another
assault on his character. (At least I finally learned how to spell his
name right.) Anyway...

You walked into the middle of that, and we were trying to show you the
ropes, so to speak, in a humorous fashion. You seem to have taken it
completely the wrong way. So chill out, calm down, and hang out a bit.
I've been online in one fashion or another for years (almost as long as
there was an online to hang out in, but not quite), and I've hung out in
too many different places to count. The Wreck is special. I think even if
I sold all my wood mangling equipment tomrorow and decided to take up cat
grooming for a hobby, I'd still hang out here just for all the discussion
among friends that only tangenitally relates to wood.

Nobody can make you stay, and you're free to go as you please. Just please
don't fly off in a snit because we poked you in the ribs. The key to this
whole thing is that you shouldn't take anything too seriously unless it's
safety. Republicans and Democrats, Christians and Pagans, young and old,
male and female, Sawstop advocates and Sawstop detractors, shellac users
and Minwhacks poly-izers, Normites and Royds, the one thing we all always
agree on is the importance of keeping all your body parts in working order,
and on trying to keep the red stuff inside where it belongs.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
jaime

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 01:08:32 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Dude, chill out.

I'm a *lady* . :-)

You haven't offended anyone. We're *teasing* you.

I get *it* now.

It has
long been the practice here on the Wreck (ie rec.woodworking) to tell
someone how much he sucks when he has a "gloat." The original poster in
this thread most assuredly has a gloat. By telling him how much he sucks,
we reaffirm how gloatable his gloat is, and make him feel all warm and
fuzzy and stuff. It's all part of the Wreck culture, and things have been
done this way for years. Getting told you suck is about the highest honor
we can offer.

Thanks for explaining it. It's appreciated.

You are *not* obligated to participate in this silliness. Many don't.

I probably won't but I will tell a guy if I think he has some nice
wood. :-)

Loving wood and woodworking is a great thing. We all do.

Count me as one of those people too. :-)

We also give
each other a hard time. Like the way Larry Jaques is always ranting about
the evils of staining walnut or using poly, and the way I'm always singling
him out and giving him a hard time about everything for no particular
reason. We're a bunch of smart alecks. JOAT is one of the smarteyest
alecks of all, although I don't guess we've ever had a contest to determine
who is actually the smarteyest aleck of all. Hell, it might be me. Or
Larry Jacques. It's probably Larry. Definitely. Definitely Larry. See,
there I go singling him out again, and somewhere in the Pacific northwest
the guy is scratching his head and wondering what he did to deserve another
assault on his character.

Must be a guy thing (no offense to the male species btw)

You walked into the middle of that, and we were trying to show you the
ropes, so to speak, in a humorous fashion. You seem to have taken it
completely the wrong way.

Yes, yes I did.

So chill out, calm down, and hang out a bit.

I'll just take that chair in the corner. It looks comfy. :-)

I've been online in one fashion or another for years (almost as long as
there was an online to hang out in, but not quite), and I've hung out in
too many different places to count. The Wreck is special. I think even if
I sold all my wood mangling equipment tomrorow and decided to take up cat
grooming for a hobby, I'd still hang out here just for all the discussion
among friends that only tangenitally relates to wood.

The discussions look good. I've been reading them almost 24/7 since I
got here (except for the few hours yesterday when I was at the
Hamilton woodworking show)

Nobody can make you stay, and you're free to go as you please. Just please
don't fly off in a snit because we poked you in the ribs.

I'm still here. Just don't call me a *dude* again. Geeeze. I am
*all* female. ;-)

The key to this
whole thing is that you shouldn't take anything too seriously unless it's
safety.

Of course!! I agree with you there.

, the one thing we all always
agree on is the importance of keeping all your body parts in working order,
and on trying to keep the red stuff inside where it belongs.

Works for me and thanks for explaining things.

Now onto more woodtalk. :-)