diverse_guy

Default 220V 3-Phase or just 220V

I've narrowed down my choice of Cabinet Saws to 2. However, I am
confused as to what exactly a 3 Phase motor is. The 2 Grizzly
machines I am looking at is the 5HP 220V G1023ZX ($1,150) or the 5HP
G1023ZX3 ($1,195). The $45.00 difference between is not important.
I just want to make sure that I understand what I am getting.

Does anyone want to lend their .02?

Thanks

Todd Fatheree

"diverse_guy" wrote in message
I've narrowed down my choice of Cabinet Saws to 2. However, I am
confused as to what exactly a 3 Phase motor is. The 2 Grizzly
machines I am looking at is the 5HP 220V G1023ZX ($1,150) or the 5HP
G1023ZX3 ($1,195). The $45.00 difference between is not important.
I just want to make sure that I understand what I am getting.

Does anyone want to lend their .02?

Thanks

A 3-phase motor is designed to run on 3-phase power. Unless you're in a
manufacturing space (or in the UK, I think), you're going to have
single-phase power delivered to your shop. I gather the G1023ZX is the
single-phase version, so I would go with that.

todd

diverse_guy

Hey Thanks for the info! That totally makes sense. Now I am left
with 3 choices.

I guess I need to decide on getting the:
1023SL which is 3HP Left tilt $995
1023Z which is 3HP $1050
or throwing out an extra $100 for the 1023ZX which is a 5Hp and cost
$1150

I've read that left tilt is best. is this always true?

Upscale

"diverse_guy" wrote in message
I've read that left tilt is best. Is this always true?

If it were true, nobody would be making right tilt models. There's a whole
lot of factors to consider such as being left handed or right handed, what
you will be cutting the most, possibly space constraints, such things as
mounting a router in one of the wings, what you're used to and just general
preference. I'm sure there's more considerations, but you get the idea.

JGS

Hi DG/
Go here and search rec. woodworking using left right tilt.
Lots of good info and opinions. Cheers, JG

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en...ec.woodworking

diverse_guy wrote:

Hey Thanks for the info! That totally makes sense. Now I am left
with 3 choices.

I guess I need to decide on getting the:
1023SL which is 3HP Left tilt $995
1023Z which is 3HP $1050
or throwing out an extra $100 for the 1023ZX which is a 5Hp and cost
$1150

I've read that left tilt is best. is this always true?

Cox West

As to HP. If you can afford it, go for the 5HP. If you're like me, you're
expecting any tool you pay 1000 bucks for to last as long as you do, and
then some. Even if you never need the additional HP, for 150$ - you'll
never wonder. It's there if you ever do, and you're buying something for
keeps. Yes?

Dave

"diverse_guy" wrote in message
Hey Thanks for the info! That totally makes sense. Now I am left
with 3 choices.

I guess I need to decide on getting the:
1023SL which is 3HP Left tilt $995
1023Z which is 3HP $1050
or throwing out an extra $100 for the 1023ZX which is a 5Hp and cost
$1150

I've read that left tilt is best. is this always true?

Wilson Lamb

The 5HP will blink the lights a tiny bit more and will need a bigger breaker
and wire.
A three phase machine will suffer severe resale penalty, unless you are
lucky and a 3 phase buyer shows up.
Wilson
"diverse_guy" wrote in message
I've narrowed down my choice of Cabinet Saws to 2. However, I am
confused as to what exactly a 3 Phase motor is. The 2 Grizzly
machines I am looking at is the 5HP 220V G1023ZX ($1,150) or the 5HP
G1023ZX3 ($1,195). The $45.00 difference between is not important.
I just want to make sure that I understand what I am getting.

Does anyone want to lend their .02?

Thanks

Doug Miller

In article , "Wilson Lamb" wrote:

A three phase machine will suffer severe resale penalty, unless you are
lucky and a 3 phase buyer shows up.

This misses the main issue rather badly: If he doesn't have 3-phase power
available to him, then buying a machine with a 3-phase motor doesn't make any
sense at all. In which case, the resale penalty won't be terribly high, as
he'll be selling a new, never-used tool.

--
Regards,

Al Reid

Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
"Wilson Lamb" wrote:

A three phase machine will suffer severe resale penalty, unless you
are lucky and a 3 phase buyer shows up.

This misses the main issue rather badly: If he doesn't have 3-phase
power
available to him, then buying a machine with a 3-phase motor doesn't
make any
sense at all. In which case, the resale penalty won't be terribly
high, as
he'll be selling a new, never-used tool.

There is always the pahse converter route. A rotary unit can be built or purchased. A 5 hp unit can be bought for about $500.00.
This does, however add a significant cost to the machine. It really only makes sense if you have multiple 3-phase motors that you
need to power. In that case, one probably will want to get an over sized unit.

--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you
know for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

Leon

"diverse_guy" wrote in message

I guess I need to decide on getting the:
1023SL which is 3HP Left tilt $995
1023Z which is 3HP $1050
or throwing out an extra $100 for the 1023ZX which is a 5Hp and cost
$1150

Get 5 hp if you will be power feeding all day long every day. Other wise
3hp is almpost over kill. I use 3hp to resaw 5" wide Ipe boards awith no
sign of the saw straining. Ipe is 3 times harder than Oak.

I've read that left tilt is best. is this always true?

;~) The single most asked question in this group that I paste this rubber
stamp answer to.

Both saws will make all the same cuts. Some easier on the left tilt, some
easier on the right tilt. Strictly personal preference. But if you need to
be steered one way or the other,

Advantages:

Are you right handed?

Get the left tilt.

1. Left tilt has the bevel wheel on the right side and is easily turned with
your Right hand.

2. Left tilt can rip a narrow bevel with out having to move the fence to the
left side of the blade.

3. Left tilt allows the blade arbor nut to be removed with your right hand.

4. Left tilt allows your to remove the arbor nut and turn it in the
direction that you would expect.

5. With a Left tilt, when both edges of a board are beveled, the sharp point
of the
bevel is up on the fence when cutting the second bevel as opposed to the
bottom of the fence where it might slip under.

6. RIGHT tilt if you are left handed. The bevel wheel is on the left side of
the saw.

7. RIGHT tilt if you "must" use the fence distance indicator when using a
stacked dado blade set. The blades stack left, away from the fence. The
indicator remains accurate. On the left tilt, the blades stack towards the
fence and makes the indicator inaccurate. In this case use a tape measure to
set the fence distance.

8. RIGHT tilt allows you to remove the arbor nut with your left hand but the
nut must be turned clockwise to loosen. Bassackwards to normalcy.

If considering a cabinet saw, with wide 50" rip capacity.

The Left tilt will most often afford you the most storage room under the
right table extension. The RIGHT tilt has an access door in that location
that will demand room to open. The left tilt allows you to have access to
the motor and or the insides of the cabinet from the more open left side of
the saw with out having to crawl under the right extension table. Very nice
if you ever happen to drop the arbor nut inside the cabinet. If you are
considering getting a replacement saw and considering going to the opposite
tilt this time consider that the miter slots may not be the same distance
from the blade when comparing a left to right tilt saw. This may or may not
be of concern but something to consider.

Doug Miller

In article , "Al Reid" wrote:

There is always the pahse converter route. A rotary unit can be built or
purchased.

Well, yeah, but the OP was asking if he should buy a 3-phase or single-phase
machine. If he has single-phase power, then buying a 3-phase machine and a
phase converter, when he could just buy a single-phase machine, is insane.

--
Regards,

diverse_guy

Thanks everyone for your input. It looks like I will be going for the
left tilt, and sticking with a single phase 3hp or 5hp Green Monster
I am right handed and this is my first table saw, and I've been
saving up my pennies. I was also able to use the Grizzly online shop
program and space does not seem to be an issue once I added all of the
items that I want in my 16' x 12' workshop.

Jim

"diverse_guy" wrote in message
I've narrowed down my choice of Cabinet Saws to 2. However, I am
confused as to what exactly a 3 Phase motor is. The 2 Grizzly
machines I am looking at is the 5HP 220V G1023ZX ($1,150) or the 5HP
G1023ZX3 ($1,195). The $45.00 difference between is not important.
I just want to make sure that I understand what I am getting.

Does anyone want to lend their .02?

Thanks

A three phase circuit has 3 power conductors, each of which is "hot". It
may also have a ground conductor. The phase angle of the power in a
conductor differs from that of the adjacent conductors by 120 degrees.

A three phase induction motor will start by merely turning on the power. A
single phase induction motor requires various kinds of trickery to induce
the motor to start. Consequently, the starting current of a single phase
motor can be quite high. The schemes used to start single phase motors add
cost and reduce reliability.

However, it is more expensive for the utility companies to supply three
phase power to homes; hence over here in the US, it has not been available
to home owners since the early 60s.

Jim

WANTED: 50hp Phase Converters - - - Tax Deductible - - EAGLE SCOUT Gov't Service Project [email protected] Metalworking 23 January 3rd 05 07:57 AM
Different RPM Loads on Rotary Phase Converters Artemia Salina Metalworking 4 September 5th 04 09:37 PM
Testing 3 phase motors Pal Metalworking 1 July 11th 04 11:50 PM
3 phase electrics jacob UK diy 10 May 18th 04 04:46 PM
General stuff on phase converters Bob Swinney Metalworking 2 November 25th 03 07:51 PM