Artemia Salina

Default Different RPM Loads on Rotary Phase Converters

Here's the situation. I have a lathe which currently
uses a single phase motor with a 145T frame. I want
to replace it with a 3 phase unit with the same frame
type, but the only motors I can find with that frame
and in the less-than-2-horse-power range run at
1140 RPM. I have a (1725 RPM) rotary phase converter
which powers another 3 phase motor in my miller. The
miller's motor is a dual speed motor (I don't know
the RPM of the two speeds, but "fast" is double the
speed of "slow". This is the stock motor in a Hardinge
TM/UM miller).

I know that adding idling motors into the circuit of a
rotary phase converter will effectively increase the
capacity of the converter, so the various motors do have
an effect on the 3 phase generation system. My question is,
will all of these different RPM motors adversely effect the
operation of the rotary converter or the quality of the
3 phase power it generates? I doubt I'll ever have both
machines running at the same time, but who knows.

GJRepesh

I run a Hardinge Miller among my other 3 phase machines with no ill effects.

Make chips, have fun.

GJR
larry g

Me thinks that you worry to much. The power in your system is ~220v 60
cycle. The speed of the motor, or converter is determined by the
construction of the motor, i.e. the number of poles in the motor. You need
to worry about the power, not the speed. As long as the motor is turning at
~rated speed it will generate 60 cycles regardless. I also run a two speed
motor on my mill with no problems from the converter.
lg
no neat sig line.

"Artemia Salina" wrote in message
news
[...]

Gary Coffman

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 03:43:02 -0400, Artemia Salina wrote:
I know that adding idling motors into the circuit of a
rotary phase converter will effectively increase the
capacity of the converter, so the various motors do have
an effect on the 3 phase generation system. My question is,
will all of these different RPM motors adversely effect the
operation of the rotary converter or the quality of the
3 phase power it generates? I doubt I'll ever have both
machines running at the same time, but who knows.

No. The motors get their different speeds by having a
different number of active poles internally. Externally
they are all 60 Hz, so the idler won't know or care how
they're built internally.

Gary
Pete Logghe

Artemia Salina wrote in message m...
[...]

The more motors you have running, the better the whole works
will run. More motors act like an ever bigger idler motor.
Stop wringing your hands and start making chips.
Things to watch:
Do the breakers trip?
Do the motors get hot?
Is the wiring adequate?

Motors usually don't get too damaged without first getting
hot.

Have fun.

Pete