Jim

"diverse_guy" wrote in message
I've narrowed down my choice of Cabinet Saws to 2. However, I am
confused as to what exactly a 3 Phase motor is. The 2 Grizzly
machines I am looking at is the 5HP 220V G1023ZX ($1,150) or the 5HP
G1023ZX3 ($1,195). The $45.00 difference between is not important.
I just want to make sure that I understand what I am getting.

Does anyone want to lend their .02?

Thanks

A three phase circuit has 3 power conductors, each of which is "hot". It
may also have a ground conductor. The phase angle of the power in a
conductor differs from that of the adjacent conductors by 120 degrees.

A three phase induction motor will start by merely turning on the power. A
single phase induction motor requires various kinds of trickery to induce
the motor to start. Consequently, the starting current of a single phase
motor can be quite high. The schemes used to start single phase motors add
cost and reduce reliability.

However, it is more expensive for the utility companies to supply three
phase power to homes; hence over here in the US, it has not been available
to home owners since the early 60s.

Jim