Rob Gray

Default Black Cherry Worth Processing?

An old, large wild "black" cherry tree at my place fell down today after
the ice storm. This tree appears to be solid down to the ground and not
hollow. I know that "cherry" is nice wood to have cut for lumber, but
does anyone know if all varieties of cherry are good for this? The type
I'm talking is the commonly called "wild" or "black" cherry that grows
in the eastern US. It is not the fruit bearing type tree grown in
orchards. This tree was about 45 feet high. For someone who never gets
timber processed at a saw mill, is doing so worthwhile cost-wise for one
tree, or is this a mistake even looking into?

Rob
PA, USA
Phil at small (vs at large)

Cut off a bit of it -- cover the rest off the ground, take the cuttoff
into the shop, split plane & sand-- see what you think. Put some
finish on it to see the results. I used a piece of sour cherry from
North texas in a bandsawn box. It wasn't too impressive-- Kinda gray
brown.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:49:24 GMT, "BobS" calmly
ranted:

http://tinyurl.com/5ko9n

Jayzuss H Crikey, Bob. The popups on that damned Wood Mag site
are the most obnoxious I've seen in a long, long time, and I
have AdSubtract running!

Another thing that ****es me off is the quantity of placed or blow-in
ad crap they're putting into FWW nowadays and the cardboard pages
which prevent you from browsing the bloody thing. I need to go there
right now to lodge the complaint with them instead of you. Join me
if you feel the same way. I just renewed for another 3 years, too.
(done)

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

Rob Gray

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:49:24 GMT, "BobS" calmly
ranted:

http://tinyurl.com/5ko9n

Jayzuss H Crikey, Bob. The popups on that damned Wood Mag site
are the most obnoxious I've seen in a long, long time, and I
have AdSubtract running!

Another thing that ****es me off is the quantity of placed or blow-in
ad crap they're putting into FWW nowadays and the cardboard pages
which prevent you from browsing the bloody thing. I need to go there
right now to lodge the complaint with them instead of you. Join me
if you feel the same way. I just renewed for another 3 years, too.
(done)

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

You should use Mozilla or Firefox as your browser because they block all
popups. I did not get one whrn I went on that site.

Rob

http://www.mozilla.org/
Kenneth

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:18:04 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:49:24 GMT, "BobS" calmly
ranted:

http://tinyurl.com/5ko9n

Jayzuss H Crikey, Bob. The popups on that damned Wood Mag site
are the most obnoxious I've seen in a long, long time, and I
have AdSubtract running!

Another thing that ****es me off is the quantity of placed or blow-in
ad crap they're putting into FWW nowadays and the cardboard pages
which prevent you from browsing the bloody thing. I need to go there
right now to lodge the complaint with them instead of you. Join me
if you feel the same way. I just renewed for another 3 years, too.
(done)

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

Howdy,

(Check your software... I got one popup...)

The OP said that his tree was not of a fruit bearing
variety. 'Sounds different from the description you
suggested.

I would suggest that the OP chainsaw a chunk, and take a
look at what he's got.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Rob Gray

wrote:

[...]

I think that the tree does produce very small fruit but it is not like
the orchard cherry trees that produce what we know as cherries for
eating. These trees are big, tall woods trees that do flower and
probably fruit, but nothing you would even notice. It looked right to
me, except I was not aware of the fruit....

Rob
John Keeney

"Rob Gray" wrote in message
Kenneth wrote:

(Check your software... I got one popup...)

Running Explorer and got none or one, don't really recall.

The OP said that his tree was not of a fruit bearing
variety. 'Sounds different from the description you
suggested.

I would suggest that the OP chainsaw a chunk, and take a
look at what he's got.

All the best,

I think that the tree does produce very small fruit but it is not like
the orchard cherry trees that produce what we know as cherries for
eating. These trees are big, tall woods trees that do flower and
probably fruit, but nothing you would even notice. It looked right to
me, except I was not aware of the fruit....

Wild Cherry produces a very small black (extremely dark purple)
fruit that's mostly seed, nothing you'ld want to try and eat.
It does however make an excellent jelly.

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:49:24 GMT, "BobS" calmly
ranted:

http://tinyurl.com/5ko9n

Jayzuss H Crikey, Bob. The popups on that damned Wood Mag site
are the most obnoxious I've seen in a long, long time, and I
have AdSubtract running!

Windows XP SP2 baby. This thing stops nearly everything. The only
popup I got was the Flash ad.

BobS

Larry,

I'm using Pop-Up-Stopper and only got one pop-up which was the ad for
subscribing. Didn't see any other pop-ups or under's. Must be that cheap
Muscatel yer drinking out there on the left coast. Wait a minute, I forgot,
you're one of the good guy's now cause you moved to Oregon and you guy's
only drink the real stuff - wood alky-hall....

(he who wishes he lived near Bend again - miss that country)

Bob S.

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:49:24 GMT, "BobS" calmly
ranted:

http://tinyurl.com/5ko9n

Jayzuss H Crikey, Bob. The popups on that damned Wood Mag site
are the most obnoxious I've seen in a long, long time, and I
have AdSubtract running!

Another thing that ****es me off is the quantity of placed or blow-in
ad crap they're putting into FWW nowadays and the cardboard pages
which prevent you from browsing the bloody thing. I need to go there
right now to lodge the complaint with them instead of you. Join me
if you feel the same way. I just renewed for another 3 years, too.
(done)

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

This is a beautiful wood, the tree probably bears small fruit the size
of a pea. Birds love them, if the tree is not rotted and is large
enough it is worth it. I have a nice pile of cherry air drying from
two trees I had taken down.I hand split and band sawed the short (
4'-6" and under) logs myself. This is a lot of work. Check online with
Woodmiser and other portable bandsaw owners that are in your vicinity.
mike

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 03:47:08 GMT, Rob Gray calmly
ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:49:24 GMT, "BobS" calmly
ranted:

http://tinyurl.com/5ko9n

Jayzuss H Crikey, Bob. The popups on that damned Wood Mag site
are the most obnoxious I've seen in a long, long time, and I
have AdSubtract running!

You should use Mozilla or Firefox as your browser because they block all
popups. I did not get one whrn I went on that site.

I'm using Firefox. But so many sites I visit need to open windows for
display, using the software options is usually more trouble. When I
find a site which puts popup ads, I don't go back.

IOW: Uckfay Oodway Agmay.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

Dave Hall

I think the tree you are talking about is the tree from which the
hardwood "cherry" comes. The orchard or real fruit trees that I have
seen are so small that you would never process them for lumber. I would
expect that your tree is worth harvesting if you can find a sawmill
that will cut it since it sounds like a yard tree. Small bandmill
operators would be your best bet if you can locate one locally.
Dave Hall

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:18:04 -0800, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:49:24 GMT, "BobS" calmly
ranted:

http://tinyurl.com/5ko9n

Jayzuss H Crikey, Bob. The popups on that damned Wood Mag site
are the most obnoxious I've seen in a long, long time, and I
have AdSubtract running!

Firefox is the answer. Blocks popups you don't request.
http://www.getfirefox.com/

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:27:17 GMT, "BobS" calmly
ranted:

Larry,

I'm using Pop-Up-Stopper and only got one pop-up which was the ad for
subscribing. Didn't see any other pop-ups or under's. Must be that cheap

I got one upon opening the site and had to close it to go to the 2nd
page. I then received another and went into AdSubtract to turn off
EVERYTHING extra for the bloody bastihd site. It stopped after that,
but the amount of content per ad shown was about 1:18 at best. Man,
what a bunch of lunkheads THEY are. On a 19" monitor at full screen,
only a fifth of the screen showed article. The rest were ads and
logos. A nasty grade of D- goes to the "designer" of that site.

Muscatel yer drinking out there on the left coast. Wait a minute, I forgot,
you're one of the good guy's now cause you moved to Oregon and you guy's
only drink the real stuff - wood alky-hall....

I'm an ex-drunk so I don't drink it, I make sheelack wif it.
(FWIW, Coors and Bacardi/Coke were the drinks of choice when
I sobered up in '85.)

(he who wishes he lived near Bend again - miss that country)

I haven't yet visited the eastern 3/4 of the state. Next year,
though, I plan a tour. Maybe I'll go the long route through
Klamath Falls/Bend/The Dalles on the way up to Bellingham.
That'd make it half the state I'd briefly toured. Know of any
wood mills I should look for?

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

BobS

Larry,

As for wood mills, I can't name them by name but yes there are several in
the area of Klamath and just south of Crater lake and be sure to visit that
too. There were two museum like places (old wood milling machines on
display - some neat stuff!) but nearby there were some active mills but I
didn't visit them at the time. We did the whirlwind tour one week when I
flew the wife out while I was working in Christmas Valley and staying in
Bend. There is an arts/craft village just south of Bend that also had a
fair amount of woodworking going on but I never did see a mill in that area.

There is a log home manufacturer out near Bend that I visited one weekend
that has their own mill setup and it was no small operation. Very nice
folks and even though they knew I was just looking around, I got a grand
tour of the operation. You haven't seen woodworking until you've been to a
place that takes the tree, mills it, slices and dices it, kiln dries it,
cuts to finish sizes for the logs, trim, doors, windows and even some pieces
of furniture they make as a side line. From raw tree to a full log home -
all in one place.

Above Bend are the big rapids (class 4/5) and another artsy town with some
great turners (among many other artisans) making some fine pieces of art
from wood, glass, pottery, metal, pine cones/needles - you name it. I
managed to pry open the wallet enough to get a bowl set the wife liked and
which I knew I would never get around to making... My wife then topped that
and bought out the last of the long pine needle baskets being made by an 86
year old lady that was finally retiring. They still correspond to this day
via email and my wife has tried to convince her to make more of those long
needle baskets. We shipped back about 30 of them and they made beautiful
presents for special occasions. I won't say making those are a lost art but
they are a rare find today - so if you spot some during your travels out
there - they're keepers.

So yes, there's some great places to see and visit in central and eastern
Oregon that have plenty to do with woodworking. Not a lot in any one place
but enough with other crafts thrown in to keep the whole family interested
while you enjoy some fantastic scenery.

Did I say I miss that area........

Bob S.

snipe......

I haven't yet visited the eastern 3/4 of the state. Next year,
though, I plan a tour. Maybe I'll go the long route through
Klamath Falls/Bend/The Dalles on the way up to Bellingham.
That'd make it half the state I'd briefly toured. Know of any
wood mills I should look for?

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:04:08 GMT, "BobS" calmly
ranted:

Larry,

As for wood mills, I can't name them by name but yes there are several in
the area of Klamath and just south of Crater lake and be sure to visit that

Crater Lake will be a trip on its own, probably staying in Klamath
Falls for a night so I can spend the full day, 3 batteries, and 3
memory disks at the area.

too. There were two museum like places (old wood milling machines on
display - some neat stuff!) but nearby there were some active mills but I
didn't visit them at the time. We did the whirlwind tour one week when I
flew the wife out while I was working in Christmas Valley and staying in
Bend. There is an arts/craft village just south of Bend that also had a
fair amount of woodworking going on but I never did see a mill in that area.

Pukey Bears 'n Ducks, no doubt? Christmas Valley, eh? I hear that
weatherwise, it's the meanest damned city in Oregon. First snow,
coldest everything, etc.

There is a log home manufacturer out near Bend that I visited one weekend
that has their own mill setup and it was no small operation. Very nice
folks and even though they knew I was just looking around, I got a grand
tour of the operation. You haven't seen woodworking until you've been to a
place that takes the tree, mills it, slices and dices it, kiln dries it,
cuts to finish sizes for the logs, trim, doors, windows and even some pieces
of furniture they make as a side line. From raw tree to a full log home -
all in one place.

Sounds like fun--even if it is all softwoods they slice and dice.

Above Bend are the big rapids (class 4/5) and another artsy town with some

Ooh, cool.

great turners (among many other artisans) making some fine pieces of art
from wood, glass, pottery, metal, pine cones/needles - you name it. I

Yeah, sounds good. Should I continue up 97 to Rufus or head down to
The Dalles (where I definitely want to see the water works) instead?

managed to pry open the wallet enough to get a bowl set the wife liked and
which I knew I would never get around to making... My wife then topped that
and bought out the last of the long pine needle baskets being made by an 86
year old lady that was finally retiring. They still correspond to this day
via email and my wife has tried to convince her to make more of those long
needle baskets. We shipped back about 30 of them and they made beautiful
presents for special occasions. I won't say making those are a lost art but
they are a rare find today - so if you spot some during your travels out
there - they're keepers.

My neighbor used to weave baskets and I'm trying to talk her into
going back to doing it (so she'll pester me less.

So yes, there's some great places to see and visit in central and eastern
Oregon that have plenty to do with woodworking. Not a lot in any one place
but enough with other crafts thrown in to keep the whole family interested
while you enjoy some fantastic scenery.

I'm single (Hermit quotient: 100%) and would be touring alone.

Did I say I miss that area........

Yuppers. Twice now.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

Rob Gray

Dave Hall wrote:
I think the tree you are talking about is the tree from which the
hardwood "cherry" comes. The orchard or real fruit trees that I have
seen are so small that you would never process them for lumber. I would
expect that your tree is worth harvesting if you can find a sawmill
that will cut it since it sounds like a yard tree. Small bandmill
operators would be your best bet if you can locate one locally.
Dave Hall

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post.

Rob

BobS

great turners (among many other artisans) making some fine pieces of art
from wood, glass, pottery, metal, pine cones/needles - you name it. I

Yeah, sounds good. Should I continue up 97 to Rufus or head down to
The Dalles (where I definitely want to see the water works) instead?

Now ya made me go look at the map. Heading north on 97 and about 60+ miles,
you'll branch off on Rt 197 (ne) and head for Maupin and the Deschutes River
Recreational area - the rapids. I suppose you can get there from 97 too but
I followed 197 and ended up at The Dalles (on I-84) which then takes you on
over to Portland but I branched off at White Salmon and headed south on Rt
35 to Mt. Hood National Forest then followed Rt 26 south to close the loop
back to Bend on Rt 97 again.

Another beatiful area to see is the Three Sisters Wilderness just west of
Bend about 45 miles. You'll get up to around 9,000' driving the logging
trails. There are 3 lakes that if you can be there in the early morning
while the fog is still on the ground - you better have lots of film or CF
cards. And if you're up to it, you can hike on up to the fire lookout (at
about 10,358'). Take some good cheese with you to swap for a cuppa Joe and
some friendly conversation. The rangers (students) there are super and of
course they don't get to many brave souls that hike up that far. They
offered us some coffee and we had some Wisconsin cheese and crackers in our
backpacks and they about gave us the lookout for half the cheese. They were
BLM newbies fresh from Wisconsin and were a bit homesick.

I'm single (Hermit quotient: 100%) and would be touring alone.

That's all right too - still lots to see and enjoy. The other (artsy) town
south of Bend about 15 minutes is named Sunriver - well worth a day trip
when the festivals are going on. We had a bit of a surprise while visiting
there. Got there early and was looking for a cafe. There are several but
went into this one, sat down and the waitress came over. I looked up at her
and we both said "I know you". Turns out I have a distant cousin that moved
out there many moons ago and opened the cafe. This town really puts on a
great festival in the summer and there is plenty of woodworking related
happenings that will keep you interested and your camera clicking.

Having been in all 50 states, worked just about everywhere at some point -
that area will be where I retire one day - so don't ruin it when you visit!

Bob S.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Walnut and Black Walnut Lumber? Leon Woodworking 43 November 26th 04 11:07 PM
Ceiling Light Problem - No Switch Phil Anderson Home Repair 35 January 26th 04 12:36 PM
Help! What are the black wires for? Kris UK diy 8 November 14th 03 10:58 PM