Rob Gray

Default Black Cherry Worth Processing?

An old, large wild "black" cherry tree at my place fell down today after
the ice storm. This tree appears to be solid down to the ground and not
hollow. I know that "cherry" is nice wood to have cut for lumber, but
does anyone know if all varieties of cherry are good for this? The type
I'm talking is the commonly called "wild" or "black" cherry that grows
in the eastern US. It is not the fruit bearing type tree grown in
orchards. This tree was about 45 feet high. For someone who never gets
timber processed at a saw mill, is doing so worthwhile cost-wise for one
tree, or is this a mistake even looking into?

Rob
PA, USA