Leon

Default Walnut and Black Walnut Lumber?

"WD" wrote in message

Are Walnut and Black Walnut lumbers the same?

Maybe. Black Walnut is certainly Walnut and Walnut could be Black Walnut.
Black Walnut is also known as American Walnut. There are many different
kinds of Walnut.

George

Can get a bit different walnut if you're getting old orchard stock. They
graft English on Black Walnut roots. Black walnut is the basically inedible
nuisance that produces such wonderful purple/red/brown wood.

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"WD" wrote in message

Are Walnut and Black Walnut lumbers the same?

Maybe. Black Walnut is certainly Walnut and Walnut could be Black Walnut.
Black Walnut is also known as American Walnut. There are many different
kinds of Walnut.

J T

Sun, Nov 21, 2004, 1:49pm george@least (George) burbled:
snip Black walnut is the basically inedible nuisance snip

Inedible? Nuisance? You don't know what you're talking about.

JOAT
Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.

Leon

"George" george@least wrote in message
Can get a bit different walnut if you're getting old orchard stock. They
graft English on Black Walnut roots. Black walnut is the basically
inedible
nuisance that produces such wonderful purple/red/brown wood.

Um which of the woods is edible? LOL

Norman D. Crow

"J T" wrote in message
Sun, Nov 21, 2004, 1:49pm george@least (George) burbled:
snip Black walnut is the basically inedible nuisance snip

Inedible? Nuisance? You don't know what you're talking about.

JOAT

Ya beat me to it JOAT. SWMBO would kill for some of them for cooking(nut
bread, etc.) They *are* a pain in the butt to collect, remove the husks, and
then they take a long time drying. Finally, they are REALLY miserable to
crack & get the meat out(many nooks & crannies inside that shell, meat comes
out in tiny pieces)!

--
Nahmie

Leon

"WD" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:46:33 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Maybe. Black Walnut is certainly Walnut and Walnut could be Black Walnut.
Black Walnut is also known as American Walnut. There are many different
kinds of Walnut.

Thanks.

I bought about 150B/F mix lengths and widths "old Walnut" from a
woodworker who
gave up the trade sometime back. Some of them are dark, light brown while
others
are mix brown and dark. My question is, am I correct to say it's "Black
Walnut"
without misrepresentation?

I believe that there is another type of Walnut that comes from California
but most likely you probably have Black Walnut as its color does vary from
piece to piece and in many cases on each board.

Further, can I applying Hydrogen Peroxide on the light brown walnut to
dark
darken the surfaces?

I know that some mills will process walnut differently to even out the wild
color variances but I am clueless as what HP will do for you. Since HP is
relative cheap and available try some on a scrap piece and see what happens.

George

Black walnut is the fruit, and it poisons and messes the ground with husks
and shells,contains meat which is almost impossible to get out of the shell,
and has a bitter taste.

That's why we grow the "English" walnut - to eat.

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"George" george@least wrote in message
Can get a bit different walnut if you're getting old orchard stock.

They
graft English on Black Walnut roots. Black walnut is the basically
inedible
nuisance that produces such wonderful purple/red/brown wood.

Um which of the woods is edible? LOL

Leon

"George" george@least wrote in message
Black walnut is the fruit, and it poisons and messes the ground with husks
and shells,contains meat which is almost impossible to get out of the
shell,
and has a bitter taste.

That's why we grow the "English" walnut - to eat.

Yeah, I was just jerking your chain... ;~)

patriarch

"J T" wrote in message
Sun, Nov 21, 2004, 1:49pm george@least (George) burbled:
snip Black walnut is the basically inedible nuisance snip

Inedible? Nuisance? You don't know what you're talking about.

Uneconomic. Difficult to farm. Highly prized for cooking and flavorings.

And there's one maybe 80 ft tall, in my nephew's yard, that will likely
need to come down next year. I've already got the sawyer lined up. ;-)

Patriarch

patriarch

"Leon" wrote in
om:

snip

I believe that there is another type of Walnut that comes from
California but most likely you probably have Black Walnut as its color
does vary from piece to piece and in many cases on each board.

http://www.ca-walnutdesigns.com/claro.htm

There's maybe 100 bf of this in my wood rack now, air dried, with excellent
figure. It's waiting until I get good enough to be worthy of the
challenge.

Make haste slowly.

Patriarch
Leon

http://www.ca-walnutdesigns.com/claro.htm

There's maybe 100 bf of this in my wood rack now, air dried, with
excellent
figure. It's waiting until I get good enough to be worthy of the
challenge.

Yeah, Claro Walnut was what I was trying to remember.

Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message

There's maybe 100 bf of this in my wood rack now, air dried, with
excellent
figure. It's waiting until I get good enough to be worthy of the
challenge.

Yeah, Claro Walnut was what I was trying to remember.

It's still considered Black Walnut,.IIRC.

I got about 150bf of the stuff sitting in my shop waiting on me to get off
my duff and build a couple of tables and some trivets for Christmas.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message

It's still considered Black Walnut,.IIRC.

No, I think Claro is different animal. From my understanding it is found
mainly in California.

I got about 150bf of the stuff sitting in my shop waiting on me to get off
my duff and build a couple of tables and some trivets for Christmas.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

J T

Sun, Nov 21, 2004, 4:16pm george@least (George)
Black walnut is the fruit, and it poisons and messes the ground with
husks and shells,contains meat which is almost impossible to get out of
the shell, and has a bitter taste.
That's why we grow the "English" walnut - to eat.

Actually, I believe it's a nut, not a fruit. I never saw it
"poisoning" the ground. If we didn't get out there and get the nuts
when they fell, the squirrels did, and left no husks or shells around.
The meat is no problem getting out, once you've got the nut cracked, you
just need a nut pick. I've never experienced any bitter taste.

I would imagine the reason "English" walnuts are grown is because
there's more profit from them, it sure isn't the taste, they're the last
nut I'd choose. Also, they're much easier to crack - I usually just
take two at a time, squueze them in my hands, and crack one. I don't
much care for their taste tho; plus, I find they often taste slightly
bit bitter.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:57:48 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

There's maybe 100 bf of this in my wood rack now, air dried, with
excellent
figure. It's waiting until I get good enough to be worthy of the
challenge.

Yeah, Claro Walnut was what I was trying to remember.

It's still considered Black Walnut,.IIRC.

I got about 150bf of the stuff sitting in my shop waiting on me to get off
my duff and build a couple of tables and some trivets for Christmas.

Lucky so-and-so!

After looking online at walnut for some projects tonight, I think I
have a handle on the terminology. The true walnuts are all members of
the Juglans family. The big three are European/English/Carpathian
walnut; Black Walnut, which comes from eastern North America and Claro
walnut, which comes from western North America. What you get if you
get walnut without modifiers is almost certainly Black or Claro
walnut. The European stuff is apparently very expensive and rather
hard to get.

There is also Butternut, which is sometimes called 'white walnut'. It
comes from North American and is light brown but has working
properties almost identical to the various black walnuts, at least
when it comes to carving.

Next on the list are the tropical walnuts, many of which are members
of the Juglans family. They include Peruvain walnut and, I believe,
African Walnut. They look pretty much like the North American walnuts,
but I don't know anything about their working properties.

Finally, just to confuse things, there is New Guinea walnut and some
other so-called walnuts which aren't walnut at all. They're not
members of the Juglans family and at least in the case of New Guinea
walnut, don't look anything like any walnut I've ever seen.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Charlie Self

JOAT notes:

Actually, I believe it's a nut, not a fruit. I never saw it
"poisoning" the ground.

I think he may mean the husk, which oozes a very dark brown color when it is
opened. Great dye, but the way. Toss those husks in a bucket of some kind of
solvent for a couple days, and you can dye anything. IIRC, it was used in
earlier days to dye clothing.

The husk is a PITA to remove, in my opinion, but farmers around here with
walnut trees sell the nuts in quart mason jars for a pretty darned good price.

My wife gets angry when she buys "walnuts" and discovers they're the English
variety. She feels they have too little flavor. And she's right.

Charlie Self
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of
nothing."
Redd Foxx

Charlie Self

Swingman writes:

There's maybe 100 bf of this in my wood rack now, air dried, with
excellent
figure. It's waiting until I get good enough to be worthy of the
challenge.

Yeah, Claro Walnut was what I was trying to remember.

It's still considered Black Walnut,.IIRC.

I got about 150bf of the stuff sitting in my shop waiting on me to get off
my duff and build a couple of tables and some trivets for Christmas.

I envy you the claro walnut. It's Juglans hindsii and black walnut is Juglans
nigra. Bth are American walnuts, but the claro is found only in small areas in
California.

Charlie Self
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of
nothing."
Redd Foxx
John Keeney

"George" george@least wrote in message
Can get a bit different walnut if you're getting old orchard stock. They
graft English on Black Walnut roots. Black walnut is the basically

inedible
nuisance that produces such wonderful purple/red/brown wood.

Inedible? Pishaw, you've not lead a good life until you
have eaten a slice of "Pecan Pie" made with black walnuts
instead of pecans.

If you by chance you mean you can't eat the meat because
the shell is indestructible, you're still wrong, but it is
an understandable error.

Swingman

"Charlie Self" wrote in message ...
Swingman writes:

It's still considered Black Walnut,.IIRC.

I envy you the claro walnut. It's Juglans hindsii and black walnut is

Juglans
nigra. Bth are American walnuts, but the claro is found only in small

areas in

Actually, the walnut that I have is from AR, so is not "claro". I am
positive that I've heard claro referred to as "California Black Walnut", and
the first link below tends to bear that out.

http://www.precisecut.com/materials/...lackwalnut.htm

Also, one of the common names for "Juglans hindsii" is "Hinds Black Walnut"

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...2/jhindsii.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman

"J T" wrote in message

Remember, google is your friend.

Indeed ... note the work "black" in the common names:

http://www.precisecut.com/materials/...lackwalnut.htm
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...2/jhindsii.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Leon

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

OK, how is that bird house book coming Charlie?

Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message
"J T" wrote in message

Remember, google is your friend.

Indeed ... note the work "black" in the common names:

http://www.precisecut.com/materials/...lackwalnut.htm
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...2/jhindsii.htm

I stand corrected... All in the semantics I guess.. Indeed a Black Walnut
but a "Special" California Black Walnut. LOL

Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

"J T" wrote in message

Remember, google is your friend.

Indeed ... note the work "black" in the common names:

http://www.precisecut.com/materials/...lackwalnut.htm
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...2/jhindsii.htm

I stand corrected... All in the semantics I guess.. Indeed a Black

Walnut
but a "Special" California Black Walnut. LOL

Well, I don't know about "stand corrected" ... you, JOAT and Charlie
(certainly Charlie would be much more knowledgable than I in these matters)
are undoubtably correct about there being many different species of what
some collectively call "black" walnut. The "black" might even be more
regional than semantic.

I got into the species thing last year when I was trying to figure out if it
was the "black" walnut that made so damn sick with a lung problem, as the
problem coincided with a couple of walnut projects.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

"J T" wrote in message

Remember, google is your friend.

Indeed ... note the work "black" in the common names:

http://www.precisecut.com/materials/...lackwalnut.htm
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...2/jhindsii.htm

I stand corrected... All in the semantics I guess.. Indeed a Black

Walnut
but a "Special" California Black Walnut. LOL

Well, I don't know about "stand corrected" ... you, JOAT and Charlie
(certainly Charlie would be much more knowledgable than I in these
matters)
are undoubtably correct about there being many different species of what
some collectively call "black" walnut. The "black" might even be more
regional than semantic.

IIRC you can get Black Walnut juat about anywhere in the US. It may be
however like the Live Oak. The Live Oak is found in numerous places and
comes in a wide variety of species.

David Hall

We always put 'em out in the driveway (gravel) and ran over them
for a few days, the picked them up, put in in one of theose net orange
bags, and hung that in the garage for awhile. We used a hammer and a
chunk of railroad track to crack them, then a nut pick. Very tasty tho.

Ahhhh...JOAT you bring back fond memories. We gathered 15 to 20 paper grocery
bags of black walnuts each year. layed them in the gravel drive and ran the
truck over them a buch to loosen the outer hulls. Then got black hands (even
through the gloves) picking out the nuts which were laid out to dry then packed
into bags for later use. Hours were spent with a hammer and brick to get a
quart of nuts. But damn it, mom's cookies and cakes were worth it!!!!! English
walnuts absolutely suck in comparison and I can hardly eat them. Now, hickory
niuts....there was a waste of time and effort

Dave Hall
J T

Tue, Nov 23, 2004, 9:24pm (EST+5) patriarch
) waves and says:
Thank you. Good information, as usual. I was curious as to how soon I
could use the compost, into which I had mixed the walnut sawdust/chips.

Remember, google is your friend. LMAO

JOAT
Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.

David Hall

snip Now, hickory niuts....there was a waste of time and effort

Obviously, you've never had a hickory nut frosting cake.

Naw, never managed to crack enough to make anything from

Dave Hall

J T

Wed, Nov 24, 2004, 12:17am (EST+5) patriarch
) says:
As a fellow of infinite curiousity yourself, you will likely realize
that, if all of the threads of interest are followed, nothing of any
consequence would ever get accomplished. snip

No prob. Not many threads interesting enough lately to follow.

JOAT
Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.

Prometheus

There is also Butternut, which is sometimes called 'white walnut'. It
comes from North American and is light brown but has working
properties almost identical to the various black walnuts, at least
when it comes to carving.

Hmm... That hasn't been my experience with butternut. It is a
beautiful wood, but it is much, much lighter than walnut, and softer
by several degrees. Having worked with both, I wouldn't consider the
working properties the same- butternut is much more likely to tear out
or chip than walnut, in my experience. But they're both great woods,
especially when you inlay butternut into walnut- that golden tint in
the butternut is really set off by the darker walnut, and flashes in a
way the walnut does not.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:18:06 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

There is also Butternut, which is sometimes called 'white walnut'. It
comes from North American and is light brown but has working
properties almost identical to the various black walnuts, at least
when it comes to carving.

Hmm... That hasn't been my experience with butternut. It is a
beautiful wood, but it is much, much lighter than walnut, and softer
by several degrees. Having worked with both, I wouldn't consider the
working properties the same- butternut is much more likely to tear out
or chip than walnut, in my experience. But they're both great woods,
especially when you inlay butternut into walnut- that golden tint in
the butternut is really set off by the darker walnut, and flashes in a
way the walnut does not.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

As I say, my experience is based on carving them, not general
woodworking. For carving they both work about the same. Roughly the
same hardness and about the same workability. I didn't notice any
difference in the tendency to chip or splinter and they seem to hold
fine detail about equally well.