Kevin Kokal

Default A New Year's Gloat

Late Saturday night, my wife says to me, "Oh, I forgot to tell you: John
(the next-door neighbor) called while you were out today. He said he had
a jointer for you." Jumping back a few months: John had mentioned he was
in the market for a new one, so I told him to let me know when he did,
and I would consider buying his old one. I figured that time had finally
come. Sunday morning, I give him a call and after exchanging the usual
New Year's pleasantries he tells me, to my complete astonishment, that I
can HAVE his old jointer. Free. Gratis. No charge. The bottom line: a
Delta 37-070 6" Variable Speed Bench Jointer.

There are few things in life as gratifying as having a good neighbor.

-kjk
Kevin

"Kevin Kokal" wrote in message
Free. Gratis. No charge. The bottom line: a Delta 37-070 6" Variable
Speed Bench Jointer.

I picked on up a 37-070 from a shop going out of business a few months ago.
It was brand new in the box for $100. I regret it now that I've tried to
use it several times on stock longer than 24 inches. That could have been
$100 towards a real jointer.

Kevin in Bakersfield

Hank Gillette

In article ,
"Kevin" wrote:

Free. Gratis. No charge. The bottom line: a Delta 37-070 6" Variable
Speed Bench Jointer.

I picked on up a 37-070 from a shop going out of business a few months ago.
It was brand new in the box for $100. I regret it now that I've tried to
use it several times on stock longer than 24 inches. That could have been
$100 towards a real jointer.

Nothing like a bucket of cold water on someone's gloat.

The nice thing is he can still put the price he paid for the jointer
towards a real jointer, as many times as he wants to.

--
Hank Gillette
Dave Hall

Hank Gillette wrote:
In article ,
"Kevin" wrote:

Free. Gratis. No charge. The bottom line: a Delta 37-070 6"

Variable
Speed Bench Jointer.

I picked on up a 37-070 from a shop going out of business a few

months ago.
It was brand new in the box for $100. I regret it now that I've

tried to
use it several times on stock longer than 24 inches. That could

have been
$100 towards a real jointer.

Nothing like a bucket of cold water on someone's gloat.

The nice thing is he can still put the price he paid for the jointer
towards a real jointer, as many times as he wants to.

--
Hank Gillette

Heck, he might even develop the skill to use the jointer effectively on
stock longer than 24" - it's not that hard

Dave Hall

Kevin

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
ups.com...

Heck, he might even develop the skill to use the jointer effectively on
stock longer than 24" - it's not that hard

Dave Hall

You can remove cups and twists from stock longer than 24" on a less than 24"
in feed table?

Robatoy

In article ,
"Kevin" wrote:

"Kevin Kokal" wrote in message
Free. Gratis. No charge. The bottom line: a Delta 37-070 6" Variable
Speed Bench Jointer.

I picked on up a 37-070 from a shop going out of business a few months ago.
It was brand new in the box for $100. I regret it now that I've tried to
use it several times on stock longer than 24 inches. That could have been
$100 towards a real jointer.

Kevin in Bakersfield

Geez, Kevin.. maybe he was gloating about how it feels to have a nice
neighbour? Buy one of THOSE for a 100 bucks.
Kevin Kokal

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Kevin" wrote:

"Kevin Kokal" wrote in message

Free. Gratis. No charge. The bottom line: a Delta 37-070 6" Variable
Speed Bench Jointer.

I picked on up a 37-070 from a shop going out of business a few months ago.
It was brand new in the box for $100. I regret it now that I've tried to
use it several times on stock longer than 24 inches. That could have been
$100 towards a real jointer.

Kevin in Bakersfield

Geez, Kevin.. maybe he was gloating about how it feels to have a nice
neighbour? Buy one of THOSE for a 100 bucks.

Well perceived, Robatoy. It was definitely a dual-purpose gloat.

Kevin

Robatoy wrote:

Well perceived, Robatoy. It was definitely a dual-purpose gloat.

I was only thinking out loud of my own regret, not trying to throw cold
water as it were. I may actually learn something though if Dave can
elaborate on his abilities with short jointers.

Kevin in Bakersfield

Kevin Kokal

Kevin in Bakersfield wrote:
"Kevin Kokal" wrote in message

Well perceived, Robatoy. It was definitely a dual-purpose gloat.

I was only thinking out loud of my own regret, not trying to throw cold
water as it were. I may actually learn something though if Dave can
elaborate on his abilities with short jointers.

Yes, indeed! As a newbie myself, I'm all ears if people care to share
their hints and tips.
J T

Tue, Jan 4, 2005, 8:42am (EST-1) (Kevin=A0Kokal)
says:
snip There are few things in life as gratifying as having a good
neighbor.

Oh, I don't know. Who needs neighbors? I got my planer from a
friend I made from here. Free. He had bought a new, larger, one. I
did have to pay the shipping, but could care less about that (not a lot
less, granted). I'd still not have a planer if not for him. I am very
thankful for that, and will continue to be so.

By the way, you suck, because you've got a jointer, and I don't.

Jointer for the poor, jointer for the poor. LMAO

JOAT
EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED.
- Death

Kevin

"Rich" wrote in message
Yes attach it to a straight piece of scap to begin with!

"Kevin" wrote in message

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
ups.com...

Heck, he might even develop the skill to use the jointer effectively on
stock longer than 24" - it's not that hard

Dave Hall

You can remove cups and twists from stock longer than 24" on a less than
24" in feed table?

That's an interesting idea. I think the trick would be in actually
attaching cupped and/or twisted stock without temporarly straightening it,
only to have it deform as soon as you unfasten it?

I just saw an article in shop notes on a jig to remove cups and twists from
the face of boards using a planer. I'm still not sure how to apply the same
technique to the jointer.

I think a photo or drawing would be really helpful to several of us in the
little jointer club.

Kevin

Rich

"Kevin" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
Yes attach it to a straight piece of scap to begin with!

"Kevin" wrote in message

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
ups.com...

Heck, he might even develop the skill to use the jointer effectively on
stock longer than 24" - it's not that hard

Dave Hall

You can remove cups and twists from stock longer than 24" on a less than
24" in feed table?

That's an interesting idea. I think the trick would be in actually
attaching cupped and/or twisted stock without temporarly straightening it,
only to have it deform as soon as you unfasten it?

I just saw an article in shop notes on a jig to remove cups and twists
from the face of boards using a planer. I'm still not sure how to apply
the same technique to the jointer.

I think a photo or drawing would be really helpful to several of us in the
little jointer club.

Kevin

It's similar to what you do to run a piece of non straight stock through a
table saw. On the table saw you attach a piece of straight stock to the
board parallel to the face you want to save but opposite it, aligning it the
best you can to save as much stock, then put the straight piece against the
fence and set the width to save as much material as possible and rip. Then
remove the straight stock and adjust the fence to rip the other side
parallel and now you have straight board.

On the jointer you would lose some of this straight stock that is why I
suggested using scrap or a piece of furring stock that is straight ($.58 for
an 8' piece). Place the scrap piece just proud of the edge that you want to
set straight then run the two pieces through the jointer until you have the
cup or twist out of the piece your trying to set straight then take it over
to the table saw remove the scrap and rip it parallel to the nice fresh edge
and viola you have a parallel board on a short planer.

Good luck, Rich

Roger Shoaf

"Kevin" wrote in message

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
ups.com...

Heck, he might even develop the skill to use the jointer effectively on
stock longer than 24" - it's not that hard

Dave Hall

You can remove cups and twists from stock longer than 24" on a less than

24"
in feed table?

Or he can take the board over to his neighbor that gave him the short
jointer and use the longer one.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.