Jon Endres, PE

Default What's a gloat?

You guys who are paying near-retail price for lumber, or even a buck a board
foot, don't know the meaning.

Gloat is when you spend ten grand on a scruffy old Woodmizer mill, 4wd
tractor and a few new chains for the saw, go out in the woods, and manage
over the course of a year to cut over 20,000 board feet of timbers and
boards, about 2/3 pine and the rest ash and cherry and sticker it all in the
yard. Realize that you love doing it so much that you'd rather run the mill
than spend the time in the shop, so your time costs nothing to you. The
best part is so you can build a house and shop using your own trees on your
own land and save a pile of $$$. At last count, able to put probably forty
thousand dollars back into appliances, tile and fixtures for what would have
been a pretty bland and uninspired house.

Gloat is also realizing that your friends and colleagues know you have a
mill, and will gladly give you trees and logs because they need to get rid
of them. That's why you still have several thousand board feet of white oak
and sugar maple in the yard needing to be cut, and why there's a 32"
diameter cherry tree that scales out at over 1500 board feet sitting in the
woods in the next town over, and all you have to do is go get it. Or why,
because of the generosity of a friend, you can make all the counters in your
kitchen out of 8/4 beech instead of formica. What's the price of all this?
Needing to do the work yourself, working harder that you've ever worked
before, because it's all worth it in the end.

The best gloat of all is having a house full of kids who want to spend time
with their Dad in the shop, making 'stuff', and a wife who appreciates the
effort and encourages my so-called 'hobby'.

JonE

RonB

Don't take it personally. However, I believe the standard response to this
type of gloat is:

We Hate You!

(or is it "You Suck")

Enjoy!!

Dave in Fairfax

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote:
snip of a wonderful life

Good for you and yours Jon.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Joe Taxpayer

Sorry for top-posting, this isn't a gloat, it's a Mastercard comercial;

Old Woodmizer Mill: $10,000
Beech countertop: free
House full of kids working with dad in the shop: Priceless.

Oh, and one more thing, you suck!
JOE

Jon Endres, PE wrote:
[...]

RKG

Jon Endres, PE wrote:

The best gloat of all is having a house full of kids who want to spend time
with their Dad in the shop, making 'stuff', and a wife who appreciates the
effort and encourages my so-called 'hobby'.

JonE

That last is the one that really counts,

Rick

Old Nick

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:21:41 -0500, RKG
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Jon Endres, PE wrote:

The best gloat of all is having a house full of kids who want to spend time
with their Dad in the shop, making 'stuff', and a wife who appreciates the
effort and encourages my so-called 'hobby'.

Sounds to me like there was more than one "hobby" involved.
Have you noticed that people always run from what
they _need_ toward what they want?????

Oh My God, you like, so, so. . . SUCK dude!

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:46:44 -0500, "Jon Endres, PE"
t wrote:

[...]

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Never get your philosophy from some guy who ended up in the looney bin.
-- Wiz Zumwalt
dteckie

"Jon Endres, PE" t wrote in message ...
[...]

And here I thought Gloat was a "Loud Goat" what was I thinking?

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:46:44 -0500, "Jon Endres, PE"
t calmly ranted:

You guys who are paying near-retail price for lumber, or even a buck a board
foot, don't know the meaning.

-snip of mild gloat-

The best gloat of all is having a house full of kids who want to spend time
with their Dad in the shop, making 'stuff', and a wife who appreciates the
effort and encourages my so-called 'hobby'.

OK, Jon. You win the SUCK OF THE YEAR award, bloody braggart.

(Congrats on all of it.)

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown