JR-jred

Default Tsunami Aid - Tools?

I would think that there must be a need for all kinds of woodworking,
carpentry and other trade tools in all of the countries affected by the
tsunami.

In particular, I have several used but quite serviceable tools that I'd
be happy to pass along if I know where to send them. I'm guessing that
many other woodworkers, carpenters and builders also have items to
donate.

Does anyone know of an organization collecting such tools? I'd even pay
a reasonable amount for shipping if I were assured they were going to a
good cause.

--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse
Jeff Harper

That's a really good idea. Tools might be one item worth sending in bulk if
they are hard to come by in the region, unlike mailing, say, bottled water
as one poster suggested.

Perhaps a big tool company or Home Depot type super store or
carpentry-related TV show could sponsor a drive. An opportunity for them to
do some good while simultaneously getting good press and developing customer
loyalty.

Who could we drop that suggestion to?

"JR-jred" wrote in message
news:1104611994.f911ce673f08ba9927fddc712d9c7210@t eranews...
I would think that there must be a need for all kinds of woodworking,
carpentry and other trade tools in all of the countries affected by the
tsunami.

In particular, I have several used but quite serviceable tools that I'd
be happy to pass along if I know where to send them. I'm guessing that
many other woodworkers, carpenters and builders also have items to
donate.

Does anyone know of an organization collecting such tools? I'd even pay
a reasonable amount for shipping if I were assured they were going to a
good cause.

--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse
Remove NO SPAM from e-mai address to reply

Mike Robinson

"Jeff Harper" wrote in message
That's a really good idea. Tools might be one item worth sending in bulk
if
they are hard to come by in the region, unlike mailing, say, bottled water
as one poster suggested.

Perhaps a big tool company or Home Depot type super store or
carpentry-related TV show could sponsor a drive. An opportunity for them
do some good while simultaneously getting good press and developing
customer
loyalty.

Who could we drop that suggestion to?

Goto your local home depot and talk to the manager?

"JR-jred" wrote in message
news:1104611994.f911ce673f08ba9927fddc712d9c7210@t eranews...
I would think that there must be a need for all kinds of woodworking,
carpentry and other trade tools in all of the countries affected by the
tsunami.

In particular, I have several used but quite serviceable tools that I'd
be happy to pass along if I know where to send them. I'm guessing that
many other woodworkers, carpenters and builders also have items to
donate.

Does anyone know of an organization collecting such tools? I'd even pay
a reasonable amount for shipping if I were assured they were going to a
good cause.

--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse
Remove NO SPAM from e-mai address to reply

Ben Hockenhull

In article 1104611994.f911ce673f08ba9927fddc712d9c7210@teran ews, JR-jred wrote:
I would think that there must be a need for all kinds of woodworking,
carpentry and other trade tools in all of the countries affected by the
tsunami.

In particular, I have several used but quite serviceable tools that I'd
be happy to pass along if I know where to send them. I'm guessing that
many other woodworkers, carpenters and builders also have items to
donate.

Hand tools would be a great idea, but power tools might be problematic as
many of the affected areas are 220VAC, so unless your power tools are
multivoltage...

Ben
Guess who

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 02:23:44 GMT, Ben Hockenhull
wrote:

In article 1104611994.f911ce673f08ba9927fddc712d9c7210@teran ews, JR-jred wrote:
I would think that there must be a need for all kinds of woodworking,
carpentry and other trade tools in all of the countries affected by the
tsunami.

In particular, I have several used but quite serviceable tools that I'd
be happy to pass along if I know where to send them. I'm guessing that
many other woodworkers, carpenters and builders also have items to
donate.

Hand tools would be a great idea, but power tools might be problematic as
many of the affected areas are 220VAC, so unless your power tools are
multivoltage...

This sort of thing has to be top-down. If you *did* get service clubs
to collect them that would have to be their idea, or they'd have to
agree beforehand. They'd do that if they knew who to send them to.
Those people would do that if they knew who to send them to, and so
on, and so on. So top-down according to need is the only reasonable,
effective approach.

Look at the truckloads of bread arriving there unasked for, and
rotting as we speak in that climate.

Most affected area are not 220V. Most affected areas are 0V, and
still burying the dead.

Send donations to *authorised* relief organisations to have it put to
what *they* think is the more immediate need. We made ours through
the local bank.

Here's a few in Canada. See if you can find some where you a

* UNICEF Canada online at http://www.unicef.ca
http://www.unicef.ca/, or 1-877-955-3111. Donations can also be
mailed in to UNICEF Canada, 2200 Yonge St., Suite 1100, Toronto,
Ont., M4S 2C6.

* World Vision Canada online at http://www.worldvision.ca
http://www.worldvision.ca/home/index.cfm, or call 1-800-268-5528.

* The Red Cross online at http://www.redcross.ca
http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=000005&tid=003, or
1-800-418-1111 - the 24-hour toll free line accepts Visa and
Mastercard. You can also mail a cheque made payable to the
Canadian Red Cross, earmarked South East Asia Earthquake and
Tidal Wave Relief to Canadian Red Cross National Office, 170
Metcalfe Street, Suite 300, Ottawa, Ontario, K2P 2P2. Donations of
goods won't be accepted.

* The Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace
(C.C.O.D.P.) online at http://www.devp.org http://www.devp.org/,
or 1-888-664-3387, or you can mail a cheque to Development and
Peace, 5633 Sherbrooke St. East, Montreal, Que., H1N 1A3. The
cheque should be marked Tidal Wave Disaster.

* Oxfam Canada online at http://www.oxfam.ca http://www.oxfam.ca/
or 1-800-466-9326.

Daniel

wrote:
I would think that there must be a need for all kinds of woodworking,
carpentry and other trade tools in all of the countries affected by the
tsunami.

In particular, I have several used but quite serviceable tools that I'd
be happy to pass along if I know where to send them. I'm guessing that
many other woodworkers, carpenters and builders also have items to
donate.

Hand tools would be a great idea, but power tools might be problematic as
many of the affected areas are 220VAC, so unless your power tools are
multivoltage...

Ben

Hi, everybody,

I am living in Thailand and know quite well South East Asia.
Your idea is great, especially for poor countries like Sri Lanka, Indonesia
and India where tools would definitely help.
Thailand and Malaysia are fully equipped and have money, less need there.

Avoid the power tools, even multivoltage, simply because many areas will
remain without electricity for a while but also because electricity cost
while they have plenty of cheap labour available.

You may contact the US NGO's that are already involved there, find one who
agree to distribute that and direct your toolboxes to them.

Cheers
Daniel

JR-jred

wrote:
[...]

Good response so far and pretty much what I'd hoped. It looks like:

1. Power tools may be impractical due to system voltage differences
although portable generators in rural areas may negate this difference.
Also, in the poorer nations, hand tools may be more practical anyway as
there may be a lack of a power grid for some time to come.

2. An existing national or internation organization probably would have
to be involved. (Although I'd like to think of myself as a reasonably
talented individual, I have no clue as to how do develop such an
organization never mind the time required to do so.) I did see a web
site for one organization Architecture for Humanity.
(www.architectureforhumanity.org). I'm going to e-mail them today to
see what interest they may have for a tool donation program.

3. If there are any other rec.ww folks in any of the affected areas,
perhaps they can find out what we may be able to do to help.

4. I had originally thought of doing something with Home Depot before I
posted on the wreck but they seem to be quite locked in with the Red
Cross and are directing people there. Without looking for an argument,
I'd just as soon not go in that direction.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse
Remove NO SPAM from e-mai address to reply
Morris Dovey

JR-jred wrote:

Any other ideas or suggestions?

You might touch base with the Habitat for Humanity folks to see
what ideas they might be able to contribute...

You might also consider forming "Woodworkers (Carpenters?)
Without Borders" and begin making notes about how to prepare for
the /next/ catastrophe. It's too bad none of us thought to do
anything like that after the Bangladesh disaster - we'd have been
much better prepared to respond this time.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Badger

JR-jred wrote:

You may contact the US NGO's that are already involved there, find one who
agree to distribute that and direct your toolboxes to them.

Cheers
Daniel

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Auction the tools and send the proceeds to the NGO's, they have local
contacts and knowlege of whats actually NEEDED, "tools for independance"
was one that did accept tools in the UK, not sure if they even exist now...