Default Need to figure out angle

I need to figure out the taper angle on a piece of wood. Can someone
help me out?? The piece is 18 7/16" long. The top is 1 11/16" wide and
the bottom is 2 3/16" wide. What angle would I need to cut that?

Thanks

Lawrence Wasserman

In article . com,
wrote:
I need to figure out the taper angle on a piece of wood. Can someone
help me out?? The piece is 18 7/16" long. The top is 1 11/16" wide and
the bottom is 2 3/16" wide. What angle would I need to cut that?

Thanks

I believe that would be arctan(0.5 / (18 7/16) ) But I am curious why
you need to know the angle. You can cut it from the measurements you
have.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

igor

On 27 Dec 2004 11:42:48 -0800, "
wrote:

Doesn't anybody know how to do simple trig anymore?

Unfortunately, no. (At least, not I.) For some things I was never smarter
than the day I graduated HS/college/grad school.

Jim

The taper angle is .7768 degrees. Just the the Tangent Opposite Adjacent trig method.

Jim

Duane Bozarth

Jim wrote:

The taper angle is .7768 degrees. Just the the Tangent Opposite Adjacent trig method.

I'm perfectly capable of figuring that out, it just is the hard way to
do it...what you gonna' use to set 0.78 degrees? Meanwhile you can
measure 1/2" pretty darn close pretty quick. Or, since OP added that
he's making the neckpiece for a git-tar, he'll want to taper it half on
each side as someone else noted. That would be 0.39 degree, even
tougher to set w/ anything...

IMO, YMMV, $0.02, etc....
Silvan

U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles wrote:

VERY small errors magnify greatly over the length of your piece.
Measure direct and save your hair.

Case in point, drilling a hole through a plane tote. I tried to use an
absolute angle instead of just whatever in between angle the actual thing
was supposed to be. I whined about the result on some other thread. Right
through the side of a piece I had spent hours shaping. sigh

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Don Foster

On 27 Dec 2004 11:42:48 -0800, "

I need to figure out the taper angle on a piece of wood. Can someone
help me out?? The piece is 18 7/16" long. The top is 1 11/16" wide

and
the bottom is 2 3/16" wide. What angle would I need to cut that?

Doesn't anybody know how to do simple trig anymore?

Apparently some one does the second post of this thread already
figured out the angle.....

Basically you have a 1/2" taper (2 3/16 - 1 11/16") over 18 7/16" long
piece

inv cosine (.5/18.4375)
=88.44 deg.

or 1.56 deg, depending on how you want to measure it.

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:21:31 -0800, Don Foster
wrote:
On 27 Dec 2004 11:42:48 -0800, "

I need to figure out the taper angle on a piece of wood. Can someone
help me out?? The piece is 18 7/16" long. The top is 1 11/16" wide

and
the bottom is 2 3/16" wide. What angle would I need to cut that?

Doesn't anybody know how to do simple trig anymore?

Apparently some one does the second post of this thread already
figured out the angle.....

The trig isn't the problem.

It's setting a taper guide to the angle I get when I crunch the numbers.

If I were setting up a machine to make the part, I'd calculate it,
though I'd probably adjust my dimensions so the angle came out a round
number.

This is reproducing the angle on another part, so the actual number
doesn't matter so much as "getting it right."

CW

"U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles" "Charles wrote in message

The trig isn't the problem.

It's setting a taper guide to the angle I get when I crunch the numbers.

If I were setting up a machine to make the part, I'd calculate it,
though I'd probably adjust my dimensions so the angle came out a round
number.

This is reproducing the angle on another part, so the actual number
doesn't matter so much as "getting it right."

For an easy way to set angles very precisly, see "sine bar" on my website.

www.kc7nod.20m.com