Tim Douglass

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:24:28 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

I'm not a big electric guy. Not a big guitar guy either. I've been playing
15 years, and I suck. People say "Play something" and I can't play much of
anything anybody recognizes. I've just never really tried to learn popular
songs. I just fiddle with the thing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think I love guitars because they are
beautiful woodworking and serve a practical purpose (or could,
theoretically, if I had either skill or talent). For Christmas I blew
a big wad on a nice acoustic/electric for my 15 yo son, who has both
skill and talent and a very good ear. Now he won't play my guitar,
(that I can't play) and will hopefully continue getting better.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:37:03 -0500, Silvan
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I saw those "electroacoustic" references on Ebay and wondered WTF they
were. I guess the amp powers the electronics.

I think vibration powers the electronics. It must be a similar principle to
an electric guitar. Plug it in, and it works, little red light or not.
The EQ and whatnot work too.

In an electric, the amp powers the pickup coils which react
to the moving string in its magnetic field.

It would be nice to get some instructions for the thing, but I didn't turn
up anything.

Though I did discover that those POS "First Act" axes they're selling at
Wal-Mart use exactly the same little black dongle inside. I suspect
they're probably off the same assembly line. Whee. Oh well.

Yes, they very probably are.

I'm sure some do, but they're cheaper from Chiwan.

Doesn't make sense. Wages in Mexico obviously must not be very good, and it
would surely be cheaper to ship something from there than from all the way
on the other side of the planet.

Wages in Mexico are probably ten times that of most of China. And the
Chinese have their own VERY large container ships run by Chinese at
better than Chinese wages (but surely well below the American or
Mexican sailor's wages.)

Hmmm, the flute sounds somehow flat, and the playing, well, you said
it best. dg&r

No, no, you're supposed to suck it up and say something encouraging while
giving everyone standing around you a knowing look.

Oh. Mebbe next time, huh, fella?

My next wooden instrument (I should say "first") will
be a bamboo flute. I'm looking around the area for free bamboo now.
Then I'll be able to compete with you for any errant flautist awards.

Let me know how it goes. I've never been able to figure out where to put
the tone holes, or how big to make them. Things like that are tricky to
tune because you can change the pitch a good bit by varying your
embouchure, so it's easy to chase the needle a different way for each hole,
and wind up with a mess. I didn't get as far as bamboo. None of my PVC
prototypes came out right at all.

I bought the book. It's about 400 words and lots of pictures made into
a little 44 page book, but it has the right info. "Simple Flutes" by
Mark Shepherd. $8 amazon, $7 Ebay.

- Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design
- nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com

Mike Marlow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

In an electric, the amp powers the pickup coils which react
to the moving string in its magnetic field.

Ummmmm... nope. In an electric, the pickups are coils and the movement of
the string through the magnetic poles creates a current in the pickup which
is transmitted to the amp. The amp doesn't provide any power to the guitar.

--

-Mike-

Silvan

Norman D. Crow wrote:

Has it warned you about the black ice in time to get off the road?

Not really. It helps me know when it's time to be thinking about it, but
the variables that make a road freeze or not freeze are more complicated
than the temperature of a probe taped to my mirror. It can be way below
freezing with puddles standing on the road, or it can be above freezing
with sheets of ice everywhere.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
David Hall

My daughter arrived Wednesday afternoon to spend the week. My son arrived,
unexpectedly, last night around 11. Christmas came early. It has been
quite a while since everyone was home.

- a Bosch 1590 jigsaw
- a 2/10/50 automatic battery charger
- a 23,000 BTU kerosense heater for the gar....uh shop

3 days with my mom, my daughter, my son and my two grandsons(at Mom's house)
along with visits from all 3 of my siblings, their spouses and neices and
nephews galore.
Tim Douglass

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:31:52 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

One of these days I want to get one of those laser flummies I've heard
about. You're supposed to be able to shoot them at the road and measure
the temperature difference between the black road and the white stripes as
you fly by. Whee.

That should tell you whether or not to expect black ice.

Are we a coupla dorks or what?

Weeellllll.... Could be, I suppose. Does the fact that I just added an
18GB SCSI drive to my tower (drive #6 in that box) just because I
found a very fast drive for under $15 tell you anything? Maybe add the
data that I am actually phasing out that machine and moving everything
to a faster box, so I really need *less* storage on it than it
currently has. I buy SCSI stuff just because it is so much fun to set
the ID and watch it all work. Never that easy for EIDE stuff.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Silvan

Tim Douglass wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think I love guitars because they are
beautiful woodworking and serve a practical purpose (or could,
theoretically, if I had either skill or talent). For Christmas I blew
a big wad on a nice acoustic/electric for my 15 yo son, who has both
skill and talent and a very good ear. Now he won't play my guitar,
(that I can't play) and will hopefully continue getting better.

I've always figured no matter how good I get there are always at least
500,000 other guitar players who can whoop my ass. Same thing for flute
and trumpet too. So I don't compete. I just have fun, and if anybody
doesn't like my playing, I have a left cheek and a right cheek, and they
can kiss either one they want.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Tim Douglass wrote:

Are we a coupla dorks or what?

the ID and watch it all work. Never that easy for EIDE stuff.

Not only a dork, but a scuzzy dork.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:37:47 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

In an electric, the amp powers the pickup coils which react
to the moving string in its magnetic field.

Ummmmm... nope. In an electric, the pickups are coils and the movement of
the string through the magnetic poles creates a current in the pickup which
is transmitted to the amp. The amp doesn't provide any power to the guitar.

Oops, you're right. Those pickups -are- magnetic, aren't they?
I sit corrected. (Too lazy to stand.)

So, how do those Erectionflummys work in the hybrid guitars without
a pickup coil??

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked.
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:23:54 -0500, Silvan
calmly ranted:

Tim Douglass wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think I love guitars because they are
beautiful woodworking and serve a practical purpose (or could,
theoretically, if I had either skill or talent). For Christmas I blew
a big wad on a nice acoustic/electric for my 15 yo son, who has both
skill and talent and a very good ear. Now he won't play my guitar,
(that I can't play) and will hopefully continue getting better.

I've always figured no matter how good I get there are always at least
500,000 other guitar players who can whoop my ass. Same thing for flute
and trumpet too. So I don't compete.

Good attitude. That means there are probably a million better than me.

I just have fun, and if anybody
doesn't like my playing, I have a left cheek and a right cheek, and they
can kiss either one they want.

Right, just don't put it to them that way. They might whup it instead.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked.
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Norman D. Crow

"Silvan" wrote in message
Norman D. Crow wrote:

Has it warned you about the black ice in time to get off the road?

Not really. It helps me know when it's time to be thinking about it, but
the variables that make a road freeze or not freeze are more complicated
than the temperature of a probe taped to my mirror. It can be way below
freezing with puddles standing on the road, or it can be above freezing
with sheets of ice everywhere.

Yeah, but it at least lets you *think* about it. Buddy & I running I80 east,
closed down somewhere between foot of Snow Shoe & Buckhorn, so we detoured
up around Williamsport by 220 and I180(?), back on I80, watching the mirrors
for spray. About 2 mi. before Buckhorn the spray quit! He was about 1/2mi.
ahead, jacked it and put front end up on a guard rail. I was a little more
fortunate, got it to the side where there was a little roughness and got it
stopped, then sat there waiting to get clobbered, but didn't.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

So, how do those Erectionflummys work in the hybrid guitars without
a pickup coil??

It looks like they're usually piezoelectric. Like the starter button on a
gas grill. Push the button, and it takes advantage of some electrical
property of quartz (I think) to generate an electric current. The strings
vibrating generate an electric current in this stuff, so it works in a
similar principle to the magnetic pickups on an electric guitar. The
pickup element is either a thin wafer on the inside, right under the
bridge, or sometimes it's actually in the saddle itself.

I think this one has the pickup in the saddle. I've confirmed that it does
have a factory-installed battery. These things have a pre-amp because the
electrical signal they produce is considerably weaker than that produced by
a magnetic pickup. I still haven't figure out how to get the damn battery
door open without breaking anything. I guess I'm SOL when the battery
wears out.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

I've always figured no matter how good I get there are always at least
500,000 other guitar players who can whoop my ass. Same thing for flute
and trumpet too. So I don't compete.

Good attitude. That means there are probably a million better than me.

If you want to get better, just veneer your guitar with jummywood.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Tim Douglass

wrote:

Tim Douglass wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think I love guitars because they are
beautiful woodworking and serve a practical purpose (or could,
theoretically, if I had either skill or talent). For Christmas I blew
a big wad on a nice acoustic/electric for my 15 yo son, who has both
skill and talent and a very good ear. Now he won't play my guitar,
(that I can't play) and will hopefully continue getting better.

I've always figured no matter how good I get there are always at least
500,000 other guitar players who can whoop my ass. Same thing for flute
and trumpet too. So I don't compete. I just have fun, and if anybody
doesn't like my playing, I have a left cheek and a right cheek, and they
can kiss either one they want.

I think I *Know* 500,000 guitar players who are better than me ;-)
I've always been a musician "wannabe", in High School and college
years I was a drummer, now I attempt to make guitar-like sounds.
Generally I don't play in public out of deference to the delicate
sensibilities of any real musicians around. I keep telling myself that
if I could just make more time to practice...

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Olebiker

Back in the 80s I sang at church with a beautiful redhead who was a
great singer and picker. She headed off to Nashville to make her
fortune, but was back in a couple of months.

"Dick," she said, "I'm good, but there are two thousand waitresses in
Nashville that are better than me." We were glad to have her back
singing with us on Sunday morning.

Mike Marlow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:37:47 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

In an electric, the amp powers the pickup coils which react
to the moving string in its magnetic field.

Ummmmm... nope. In an electric, the pickups are coils and the movement

of
the string through the magnetic poles creates a current in the pickup

which
is transmitted to the amp. The amp doesn't provide any power to the

guitar.

Oops, you're right. Those pickups -are- magnetic, aren't they?
I sit corrected. (Too lazy to stand.)

So, how do those Erectionflummys work in the hybrid guitars without
a pickup coil??

Coupla ways. Most acoustic guitars with a pickup have one under the saddle
(bridge), and it's pizeo-electric. Little crystals that generate current
when caused to vibrate. Higher end guitars like Taylors and some others use
this and a condenser microphone located inside the body of the guitar.
These typically have a mixer that enables the player to balance between the
two pickup sources, since pizeos and condenser mics provide much different
sounds.
--

-Mike-

Prometheus

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:46:59 GMT, Michael Baglio
wrote:

I told my bride that there was only one thing I really wanted (for the
shop) this Christmas.

I wanted one particular tool.
A tool that isn't commonly available any longer.
A tool that has been so cheapened over the years that using one is, at
best, a singularly unpleasant experience.
A tool that, (if they only made them like they used to), the using of
which would be everything using a great tool is _supposed_ to be.

When she asked what I _really_ wanted, I looked her straight in the
eye and said:

"Alice, I want a pencil sharpener."

Good on ya. I remember those old sharpeners- and they are pretty
nice!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

jo4hn

Prometheus wrote:
[snip]
A Delta Midi Lathe
One of those laser levels that make an x on the wall mounted on a
tripod.

Just got an email a bit ago from Northern Tool. They have one on sale
for $9. See http://tinyurl.com/6xst2 May get one myself.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Prometheus

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 10:54:53 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 20:32:11 -0500, "Buddy Matlosz"
calmly ranted:

"Silvan" wrote in message

An acousto-electric guitar
A guitar stand
Trumpet music

Ain't it kinda tough to play trumpet music on the guitar?

Ackshully, it should sound -much- better on guitar than trumpet.

Shame on you. Haven't you ever listened to Miles Davis?

One each of: shoes, jeans, shirt

Expecting the other shoe next Christmas?

Bless you for the insight here, Buddy.

* * Humorous T-shirts Online
* Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
* * http://www.diversify.com

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:06:29 -0600, Prometheus
calmly ranted:

"Silvan" wrote in message

An acousto-electric guitar
A guitar stand
Trumpet music

Ain't it kinda tough to play trumpet music on the guitar?

Ackshully, it should sound -much- better on guitar than trumpet.

Shame on you. Haven't you ever listened to Miles Davis?

Yes, and on some songs, he's hot as hell. Some other stuff (and
all Al Hirt stuff I remember hearing) is just as endearing as
an automobile horn. I guess my ears are sensitive to horns. I
like most trumpet if it's muted and not too showy.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Pike

I'm coming in late to this thread, but decided to start the new year
off by rejoining the wreck after a several year hiatus.

I received the two extremes: From my dad I received a Milwaukee
driver/flashlight combo set (12v). From my BIL I got a Harbor Freight
miter clamp (on sale for $1.50 I believe).

~Pike~