Larry Jaques

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:37:03 -0500, Silvan
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I saw those "electroacoustic" references on Ebay and wondered WTF they
were. I guess the amp powers the electronics.

I think vibration powers the electronics. It must be a similar principle to
an electric guitar. Plug it in, and it works, little red light or not.
The EQ and whatnot work too.

In an electric, the amp powers the pickup coils which react
to the moving string in its magnetic field.

It would be nice to get some instructions for the thing, but I didn't turn
up anything.

Though I did discover that those POS "First Act" axes they're selling at
Wal-Mart use exactly the same little black dongle inside. I suspect
they're probably off the same assembly line. Whee. Oh well.

Yes, they very probably are.

I'm sure some do, but they're cheaper from Chiwan.

Doesn't make sense. Wages in Mexico obviously must not be very good, and it
would surely be cheaper to ship something from there than from all the way
on the other side of the planet.

Wages in Mexico are probably ten times that of most of China. And the
Chinese have their own VERY large container ships run by Chinese at
better than Chinese wages (but surely well below the American or
Mexican sailor's wages.)

Hmmm, the flute sounds somehow flat, and the playing, well, you said
it best. dg&r

No, no, you're supposed to suck it up and say something encouraging while
giving everyone standing around you a knowing look.

Oh. Mebbe next time, huh, fella?

My next wooden instrument (I should say "first") will
be a bamboo flute. I'm looking around the area for free bamboo now.
Then I'll be able to compete with you for any errant flautist awards.

Let me know how it goes. I've never been able to figure out where to put
the tone holes, or how big to make them. Things like that are tricky to
tune because you can change the pitch a good bit by varying your
embouchure, so it's easy to chase the needle a different way for each hole,
and wind up with a mess. I didn't get as far as bamboo. None of my PVC
prototypes came out right at all.

I bought the book. It's about 400 words and lots of pictures made into
a little 44 page book, but it has the right info. "Simple Flutes" by
Mark Shepherd. $8 amazon, $7 Ebay.

- Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design
- nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com