Dennis

Default Home plans and Material lists

My wife and I are looking to build a house on a tight budget. There are
plenty of web sites that offer plans, but I want to see a material list so
we can price out the house and see if its affordable for us. ALl the sites
I've seen want you to buy the plans to get a material list of some of the
sites offer material list for $75. We would go broke buying all the plans
we like to get a material list.

Is there any site that gives you the building material list up front?

Dennis

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dennis" wrote in message
My wife and I are looking to build a house on a tight budget. There are
plenty of web sites that offer plans, but I want to see a material list so
we can price out the house and see if its affordable for us. ALl the
sites I've seen want you to buy the plans to get a material list of some
of the sites offer material list for $75. We would go broke buying all
the plans we like to get a material list.

The plans makers figure they would go broke supplying all the info with no
commitment. Consider alternatives to traditional stick built homes. If you
are on a budget, you can save a bundle on energy cost for the life of your
home. Check out insulating concrete forms (ICF's) from places like
www.standardicf.com www.polysteel.com www.integraspec.com I think you
may find them easier to get information for what you need.

Rick Samuel

Find out what recycled materials are around. Or what is produced locally.
Shipping is $$$. And/or waste products. 2x4's 18" to three feet long, with
enough, will build a house w/ solid double walls, insulation between.
Tires. Beer cans filled w/ water, imbedded in cement. A bottler MAY fill
them for you. Cheap. Reuse & recycle.
If you truly wish to save money, learn about alternative construction. Be
ready to work. It'll take twice the time you think it will.

Ba r r y

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:11:43 GMT, "Dennis" wrote:

My wife and I are looking to build a house on a tight budget. There are
plenty of web sites that offer plans, but I want to see a material list so
we can price out the house and see if its affordable for us. ALl the sites
I've seen want you to buy the plans to get a material list of some of the
sites offer material list for $75. We would go broke buying all the plans
we like to get a material list.

Is there any site that gives you the building material list up front?

Many home plan providers have "info packs" for $5 or so. These often
include a wide ranging estimate of the construction cost for different
regions of the country. Local builders can show you plans they've
built and give you a better idea of prices, and architects can provide
a pretty close estimate. Architects are not free, you'll pay an
hourly fee to develop and get bids on a plan.

If you really need an exact price, where $75 is a big deal, building
may not be for you.

Barry

Wilson Lamb

I'd suggest you consider needs carefully and work from there.
Kids??
Building codes can ruin you big time, depending upon where you are.
If it meets your needs, a used doublewide can be cost effective, BUT you'll
have to shop very carefully for moving/setup. Most people who have that
stuff done are over the barrell, not in a position to bargain, so to speak.
You might even find a repo on which you can deal, on land, or not. I once
bought a nice DW on an acre, adnittedly in the country but on a river, for
$40K! We used it as a cabin for years and sold for more.
It was a little cheesy, but very well laid out and comfortable 3BR, 2B,
good A/C and E heat.

Shell homes can be a good deal. They go up fast and are all dried in and
finished outside. You do the inside.

Wilson
"Dennis" wrote in message
My wife and I are looking to build a house on a tight budget. There are
plenty of web sites that offer plans, but I want to see a material list so
we can price out the house and see if its affordable for us. ALl the

sites
I've seen want you to buy the plans to get a material list of some of the
sites offer material list for $75. We would go broke buying all the plans
we like to get a material list.

Is there any site that gives you the building material list up front?

Dennis

fyodor

If you live in the northeast(approx New Enlnd to Chgo), you might try
www.bardenhomes.com Barden supplies the vertical structure and the
exterior finish (shingles, siding, windows, doors). On the interior,
they provide a complete trim package. Barden designs and finances the
project too. You act as your own GC.

Dave Jackson

I'd suggest checking for a manufacturer like this in your area. The home is
basically conventionally framed off site and shipped in by truck to be
erected with a crane.
http://www.boxhomes.com/House_Set_July_2003.shtml
You can get a quote for a house that is "dried in" (the shell complete
with roofing, exterior windows and doors installed and maybe even the
exterior finish.) Then you can take your time, save up money, and finish
the inside with the mechanicals and amenities you want/can afford. You
will be the General on the job, but most of the engineering has been done
for you. --dave

wrote in message
oups.com...

If you live in the northeast(approx New Enlnd to Chgo), you might try
www.bardenhomes.com Barden supplies the vertical structure and the
exterior finish (shingles, siding, windows, doors). On the interior,
they provide a complete trim package. Barden designs and finances the
project too. You act as your own GC.

Prometheus

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:33:38 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:11:43 GMT, "Dennis" wrote:

My wife and I are looking to build a house on a tight budget. There are
plenty of web sites that offer plans, but I want to see a material list so
we can price out the house and see if its affordable for us. ALl the sites
I've seen want you to buy the plans to get a material list of some of the
sites offer material list for $75. We would go broke buying all the plans
we like to get a material list.

Is there any site that gives you the building material list up front?

Check into those concrete dome houses, perhaps. IIRC, they can tell
you what it's going to cost right offhand. I believe they are a bit
less expensive, and signifigantly more energy efficient than stick
framed homes.

Many home plan providers have "info packs" for $5 or so. These often
include a wide ranging estimate of the construction cost for different
regions of the country. Local builders can show you plans they've
built and give you a better idea of prices, and architects can provide
a pretty close estimate. Architects are not free, you'll pay an
hourly fee to develop and get bids on a plan.

If you really need an exact price, where $75 is a big deal, building
may not be for you.

Barry

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam