Prometheus

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:33:38 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:11:43 GMT, "Dennis" wrote:

My wife and I are looking to build a house on a tight budget. There are
plenty of web sites that offer plans, but I want to see a material list so
we can price out the house and see if its affordable for us. ALl the sites
I've seen want you to buy the plans to get a material list of some of the
sites offer material list for $75. We would go broke buying all the plans
we like to get a material list.

Is there any site that gives you the building material list up front?

Check into those concrete dome houses, perhaps. IIRC, they can tell
you what it's going to cost right offhand. I believe they are a bit
less expensive, and signifigantly more energy efficient than stick
framed homes.

Many home plan providers have "info packs" for $5 or so. These often
include a wide ranging estimate of the construction cost for different
regions of the country. Local builders can show you plans they've
built and give you a better idea of prices, and architects can provide
a pretty close estimate. Architects are not free, you'll pay an
hourly fee to develop and get bids on a plan.

If you really need an exact price, where $75 is a big deal, building
may not be for you.

Barry

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam