Juergen Hannappel

Default Firewood plans

Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

Are all the woodworkers here needing plans for every little oiece they
build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it,
then start building considering available material without bothering
about ready-made plans...
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
J. Clarke

Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

Are all the woodworkers here needing plans for every little oiece they
build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it,
then start building considering available material without bothering
about ready-made plans...

That's fine if you have the experience to do that. Lot of people don't.
And sometimes building from plans leads you to try a new technique called
for in the plans that you then have in your repertoire for future use. And
sometimes it's kind of nice to be able to show SWMBO what it's going to
look like so you don't sleep on the couch until it's done in punishment for
spending for a couple of hundred board feet of teak.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
George

Behind that tree over there. Of course, you have to fell the tree to get
'em....

Do you start Physics experiments without consulting the literature?

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

Are all the woodworkers here needing plans for every little oiece they
build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it,
then start building considering available material without bothering
about ready-made plans...

Juergen Hannappel

"George" george@least writes:

[...]

Do you start Physics experiments without consulting the literature?

No. But there is *some* difference in complexity.

[...]

build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it,
then start building considering available material without bothering
about ready-made plans...

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Daniel

Juergen Hannappel wrote in message ...
Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

[snip]

Considering that firewood is measured in units of "cord"s, you may
want to cut your logs to lengths of 1ft or 2ft to facilitate piling it
up and measuring it accurately. Make sure to allow for some kerf when
sawing.
http://hearth.com/what/firewood.html

Ends of logs don't need to be coated; you want faster drying, and
end-checking should not detrimentally affect the end purpose of the
wood.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:28:15 +0200, Juergen Hannappel
calmly ranted:

Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

I'll bet you actually get answers from those who have sought
them out before, J.

Are all the woodworkers here needing plans for every little oiece they
build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it,
then start building considering available material without bothering
about ready-made plans...

Ditto here. For the last little project, I started with the opening.
I knew the guitar string winder had to fit the machine knob so I
measured that and built a hole to suit.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.
----------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

WilliaJ2

Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

I usually manage to create one of these on every project (plans or not).

Big John

There is a thin line between hobby & mental illness.

Take out the TRASH for E-mail.

Old Nick

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:28:15 +0200, Juergen Hannappel
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

It all depends on the style and dimensions of the firebox you asked
about in rec.crafts.metalworking

Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

I have to say that I have built some obscene failures by trying your
method. But the one time I tried to follow the rules of a plan from a
magazine, they ****ed it. I ended up with dining chairs with 12" legs,
or something.

I am glad you can get by on your own. It is an adventure in life that
I espouse, but that my espoused does not always appreciate.
David Hall

Juergen Hannappel bragged in message news:

Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

Are all the woodworkers here needing plans for every little oiece they
build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it,
then start building considering available material without bothering
about ready-made plans...

Well, good on you! Do you feel appropriately superior now that you've
said this? Do you feel a need to try to belittle those who enjoy the
hobby of building but don't (or don't yet) have the ability to design
in their heads (or on paper for that metter)? Various folks have made
this same type of statement numerous times on this newsgroup and I
have yet to understand why they seem to feel so superior or why they
feel the need to somehow mock those who don't "do" design. To me this
is kind of like people in a skiing group trying to make fun of people
who ski but don't make their own skis or a golf group wondering why
all golfers don't design their own courses.

Man, I just went on and on, didn't I I guess you hit a nerve since
I am not the designing type but still like to build stuff. If it is
much more complex than a box, I like some direction. Some of the best
cooks I know still own some cookbooks and don't just open the fridge
and start pulling out whatever is there to create some new dish for
that evening's dinner party.

Dave Hall
Mark Jerde

Juergen Hannappel wrote:
Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

Optimal for what? g Completeness of burn, fewest fireplace / stove loads
per day, least expensive, least pollutants released, most heat released?

Is your fireplace / stove / furnace left or right tilt?

Are all the woodworkers here needing plans for every little oiece they
build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it,
then start building considering available material without bothering
about ready-made plans...

Nah, I build a lot of stuff by TLAR -- That Looks About Right. For example
I just bought 20 see-through plastic boxes to help bring some organization
to my messy shop. When I build the roll-around cabinet for them I'll decide
on the size by putting the boxes on the 2'x4' MDF sheets I have for the
project. If I decide 3 boxes wide is the best size for space & materials,
I'll set the fence on the TS by putting 3 boxes + 1 board (for dados)
between the blade & the fence. I enjoy "build to fit."

Besides, I'm not all that good at 8th's & 16th's etc. Measure (wrong)
twice, cut once, cuss when it doesn't fit, adjust the plans or cut another
piece... g I should probably throw away my English tape measures & buy
metric. ;-)

-- Mark

Pounds on Wood

Why yes, yes I do.
Here is one:
http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/stacking.htm

and another with nice line drawings:
http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/yxboken/bok04.htm

--
********
Bill Pounds

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

Rick Gibson

I use plans for a lot of things I build and for some I don't but I have to
say I have never needed a plan for firewood yet!
Seem to do that every time I build something.

Rick

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

Are all the woodworkers here needing plans for every little oiece they
build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it,
then start building considering available material without bothering
about ready-made plans...
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Pounds on Wood

Well then, how do you know you are doing it right?

--
********
Bill Pounds

"Rick Gibson" wrote in message
. ..
I use plans for a lot of things I build and for some I don't but I have to
say I have never needed a plan for firewood yet!
Seem to do that every time I build something.

Rick

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

Are all the woodworkers here needing plans for every little oiece they
build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it,
then start building considering available material without bothering
about ready-made plans...
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

George

All right! Thought I was one of the only lazy enough to buy those lidded
boxes to work as drawers. Did mine as tall rows each side of a two door
cabinet section , the whole at the height of my tablesaw. I just roll it
out for plywood support rather than calling for SWMBO, who has a tendency to
pull rather than just support. Stores a mortiser sans handle and my power
sanders with paper in the cabinets.

12 boxes.

Oh yeah, to halve fractions double the denominator. You are over thirty,
and therefore know what a denominator is?

Of course, half of five centimeters is two and a half centimeters....

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
I just bought 20 see-through plastic boxes to help bring some organization
to my messy shop. When I build the roll-around cabinet for them I'll

decide
on the size by putting the boxes on the 2'x4' MDF sheets I have for the
project. If I decide 3 boxes wide is the best size for space & materials,
I'll set the fence on the TS by putting 3 boxes + 1 board (for dados)
between the blade & the fence. I enjoy "build to fit."

Besides, I'm not all that good at 8th's & 16th's etc. Measure (wrong)
twice, cut once, cuss when it doesn't fit, adjust the plans or cut another
piece... g I should probably throw away my English tape measures & buy
metric. ;-)

Leon

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

Are all the woodworkers here needing plans for every little oiece they
build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it,
then start building considering available material without bothering
about ready-made plans...

So Doc, are you asking how to turn your projects that were built with out
plans in to fire wood? Or do you think that you would build better
firewood if you used plans?

xrongor

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
Does anybody know where i can get free (or paid-for) plans for optimal
firewood pieces? ;-)

Are all the woodworkers here needing plans for every little oiece they
build? If i start a woodworking project i usually think asbout it,
then start building considering available material without bothering
about ready-made plans...

So Doc, are you asking how to turn your projects that were built with out
plans in to fire wood? Or do you think that you would build better
firewood if you used plans?

i think a lot of people got fished in here...

randy

Mark Jerde

George wrote:

Oh yeah, to halve fractions double the denominator. You are over
thirty, and therefore know what a denominator is?

Umm, the governor of California? ;-)

He was denominator and then he was delictable.

-- Mark

J T

Fri, Jun 25, 2004, 8:12am (EDT-3)no adddress@spam free.com (CW) claims:
I almost always build from plans. I draw them myself.

Are you a self-made man?

JOAT
Use your brain - it's the small things that count.
- Bazooka Joe

rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 6 of 10 - Plans Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 0 April 1st 04 09:16 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Isn't relying of someone else's plans kinda like painting by paintby numbers? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 57 August 27th 03 04:54 PM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM
Protecting Designs WoodJunkie Woodworking 3 August 4th 03 02:08 PM