RonB

Default HELP - Jewelry Box Liner

I have seen a lot of nice jewelry box postings here. Anyone have favorite
ways of installing the velvet lining? I have read about several options
including:

- self adhesive velvet
- dress quality velvet glued in (apparently preferred by some high end
builders)
- Mounting velvet to card stock and inserting the cards below the dividers

Also any web sources for making the velvet-covered ring pegs or ring slots.
I especially want to make sure I am using the proper adhesives.

Got momma's jewelry box in process but I thought you guys might have best
ways to make it pretty.

Thank you
RonB

Richard Clements

seen a lmethodice jewelry box postings here. Anyone have favorite
ways of installing the velvet lining? I have read about several options
including:

- self adhesive velvet
- dress quality velvet glued in (apparently preferred by some high end
builders)
- Mounting velvet to card stock and inserting the cards below the dividers

Also any web sources for making the velvet-covered ring pegs or ring
slots. I especially want to make sure I am using the proper adhesives.

Got momma's jewelry box in process but I thought you guys might have best
ways to make it pretty.

Thank you
RonB

the card method is what I like
RKG

I've tried all three and the dress quality velvet definitely looks best
although it is a pain working with. Spray adhesive and gluing it to
card stock seemed to be the best way to go. Lee Valley has some of the
self adhesive velvet but they seem to be dropping it and only have a few
colours left.

Rick

RonB wrote:

I have seen a lot of nice jewelry box postings here. Anyone have favorite
ways of installing the velvet lining? I have read about several options
including:

- self adhesive velvet
- dress quality velvet glued in (apparently preferred by some high end
builders)
- Mounting velvet to card stock and inserting the cards below the dividers

Also any web sources for making the velvet-covered ring pegs or ring slots.
I especially want to make sure I am using the proper adhesives.

Got momma's jewelry box in process but I thought you guys might have best
ways to make it pretty.

Thank you
RonB

RonB

Rick:
What kind of spray adhesive do you use? I have some of the 3M general
purpose but wasn't sure if it would hold.

Thanks

Ron

RonB wrote:

I have seen a lot of nice jewelry box postings here. Anyone have favorite
ways of installing the velvet lining? I have read about several options
including:

- self adhesive velvet
- dress quality velvet glued in (apparently preferred by some high end
builders)
- Mounting velvet to card stock and inserting the cards below the dividers

Also any web sources for making the velvet-covered ring pegs or ring
slots. I especially want to make sure I am using the proper adhesives.

Got momma's jewelry box in process but I thought you guys might have best
ways to make it pretty.

Thank you
RonB

RKG

The local home hardware here had loctite so I used it to glue the velvet
to the card then used wood glue to glue the card to the drawer. Seems
to have held for my grandaughters for a year now anyway.

Rick

RonB wrote:

Rick:
What kind of spray adhesive do you use? I have some of the 3M general
purpose but wasn't sure if it would hold.

Thanks

Ron

.. .

RonB wrote:

I have seen a lot of nice jewelry box postings here. Anyone have favorite
ways of installing the velvet lining? I have read about several options
including:

- self adhesive velvet
- dress quality velvet glued in (apparently preferred by some high end
builders)
- Mounting velvet to card stock and inserting the cards below the dividers

Also any web sources for making the velvet-covered ring pegs or ring
slots. I especially want to make sure I am using the proper adhesives.

Got momma's jewelry box in process but I thought you guys might have best
ways to make it pretty.

Thank you
RonB

Richard Clements

RonB wrote:

I have seen a lot of nice jewelry box postings here. Anyone have
favorite
ways of installing the velvet lining? I have read about several options
including:

- self adhesive velvet
- dress quality velvet glued in (apparently preferred by some high end
builders)
- Mounting velvet to card stock and inserting the cards below the
dividers

Also any web sources for making the velvet-covered ring pegs or ring
slots. I especially want to make sure I am using the proper adhesives.

Got momma's jewelry box in process but I thought you guys might have best
ways to make it pretty.

Thank you
RonB

go to the fabric store and get "Fabric Tack" it works great
Jim Northey

"RonB" wrote in message
I have seen a lot of nice jewelry box postings here. Anyone have favorite
ways of installing the velvet lining? I have read about several options
including:

- self adhesive velvet
- dress quality velvet glued in (apparently preferred by some high end
builders)
- Mounting velvet to card stock and inserting the cards below the dividers

Also any web sources for making the velvet-covered ring pegs or ring

slots.
I especially want to make sure I am using the proper adhesives.

Got momma's jewelry box in process but I thought you guys might have best
ways to make it pretty.

Thank you
RonB

Hi Ron.
I just use spray on contact cement, just a light coat on both parts and let
it set as per directions. As for the ring holders, if you have an
independent jewelry maker in your area ask him/her where they get the foam
backed velvet inserts for their display cases.
If your in southern Ontario around Toronto I can try and find the place I
used for that stuff.
Good luck
Jim

Gino

RonB wrote:

I have seen a lot of nice jewelry box postings here. Anyone have
favorite
ways of installing the velvet lining? I have read about several options
including:

- self adhesive velvet
- dress quality velvet glued in (apparently preferred by some high end
builders)
- Mounting velvet to card stock and inserting the cards below the
dividers

Also any web sources for making the velvet-covered ring pegs or ring
slots. I especially want to make sure I am using the proper adhesives.

Got momma's jewelry box in process but I thought you guys might have best
ways to make it pretty.

Thank you
RonB

go to the fabric store and get "Fabric Tack" it works great

And take a peek at some of the heavy silks while you are there.
You might decide to lose the velvet.
Richard Clements

RonB wrote:

[...]

if you use silk, you have to pad it, fabric tack soaks though on silk

Ken Johnsen

I liked the self stick velvet from Rockler, Was very easy to apply, looks
good. I did 3 boxes 2 years ago and only complaint was the cost.

Knowing how I applied the self stick, if I did it again I would use a spray
adhesive and velvet or satin, next time, jus to save money

Ken

"RonB" wrote in message
I have seen a lot of nice jewelry box postings here. Anyone have favorite
ways of installing the velvet lining? I have read about several options
including:

- self adhesive velvet
- dress quality velvet glued in (apparently preferred by some high end
builders)
- Mounting velvet to card stock and inserting the cards below the dividers

Also any web sources for making the velvet-covered ring pegs or ring

slots.
I especially want to make sure I am using the proper adhesives.

Got momma's jewelry box in process but I thought you guys might have best
ways to make it pretty.

Thank you
RonB

Lee Gordon

It's not exactly an on-line source, but the current issue of Woodcraft
Magazine has a how-to article on this process.

Lee

Patrick Piper

I must have missed the original poster's question, but here is what I do.
I've made a number of jewelry boxes and musical instrument cases. I
line/pad them using foam core board, double-sided outdoor carpet tape and
the cloth/velvet of your choice. You can buy foam core board at your local
craft store or art supply store. I use 1/8" thick for small projects and
3/16" or 1/4" for larger projects. Depending on the thickness or nap of the
cloth I cut the foam core board slightly undersize. Maybe 1/8" to 1/4"
narrower for each dimension. I use outdoor double-sided carpet tape and
apply a layer on one side of the foam core board. You can use varying
widths of tape to cover the entire piece so there won't be any undulations
in the cloth. I peel the backing off the tape and lay the taped foam core
board onto the wrong side of the cloth. I flip it over and smooth out any
wrinkles. Then I tape the back side of the foam core board. I trim the
edges of the cloth leaving about 1" of cloth and clip the corners. Peel the
backing off the tape and fold the edges of the cloth to the back side and
you are done. The carpet tape left showing on the back is usually enough to
stick it down. You can also run a bead of a good craft glue around the edge
of the back side.

Pat

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:26:59 -0600, "Patrick Piper"
wrote:

[...]

I just asked my wife, the fabric expert, and she had several
suggestions for lining boxes. First, don't use regular velvet. It's
lightweight and almost flimsy. Cotton velveteen gives a velvet look
and is more substantial. (Upholstery velvet is sturdier than regular
velvet, but it doesn't give as lush a look.)

Second, use a glue like Fabric Tak which is designed for gluing fabric
unobtrusively. Apply it thinly at critical points.

If you're really concerned about the project lasting, put a layer of
acid-free cardboard between the wood and the velvet.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent