Raymond Cruz

Default kitchenaid dishwasher liner repair?

My 11 year old KitchenAid dishwasher has two rollers mounted on each upper
side of the inside liner to support the slider for the upper rack. One of
these rollers fell out because the hole in the liner that it was mounted in
rusted out. My usually reliable appliance repair dealer says he can't get a
replacement liner and the labor to install a replacement would be $300.
Questions:
1. If I can't get a replacement liner is it possible to have mine repaired,
possibly by someone who would cut out the rotten area and weld in new metal?
Could I then use some tough enamel paint on the new metal?
2. Is removal and replacement of the liner really a $300 job? Any reason
why a handy homeowner couldn't do this?

BTW the warranty on this part was for 10 years.

Ray

Edwin Pawlowski

"Raymond Cruz" wrote in message
Questions:
1. If I can't get a replacement liner is it possible to have mine

repaired,
possibly by someone who would cut out the rotten area and weld in new

metal?

Possible by anyone that works with sheet metal. It will have to be welded
and it can ruin the coating inside around that area as it must be heated
rather high. I don' t think fiberglass would hod up, but it would be
cheaper and a DIY project.

Could I then use some tough enamel paint on the new metal?

I'd probably use an epoxy paint. it is hot and a rather causic envoronment.
My guess is the patch wil last maybe a year before you have problems again.

2. Is removal and replacement of the liner really a $300 job? Any reason
why a handy homeowner couldn't do this?

Time consuming. Not necessarily difficult, but it will take a couple of
hour and maybe longer putting it back together. They you have to get all
the seals just right.

BTW the warranty on this part was for 10 years.

You did good. Before spending the money to repair it, I'd really consider a
new machine. After doing all of this labor, you can put it all back, wash a
couple of loads and have the motor fail.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Banister Stairwell

"Raymond Cruz" wrote in message
news
My 11 year old KitchenAid dishwasher has two rollers mounted on each upper
side of the inside liner to support the slider for the upper rack. One of
these rollers fell out because the hole in the liner that it was mounted

in
rusted out. My usually reliable appliance repair dealer says he can't get

replacement liner and the labor to install a replacement would be $300.
Questions:
1. If I can't get a replacement liner is it possible to have mine

repaired,
possibly by someone who would cut out the rotten area and weld in new

metal?
Could I then use some tough enamel paint on the new metal?
2. Is removal and replacement of the liner really a $300 job? Any reason
why a handy homeowner couldn't do this?

Yes, you could probably do this, but why would you want to? After 11 years,
your dishwasher really doesn't owe you anything. I would think long and
hard before spending the money and time on a repair like this. I realize
that KitchenAid is the upper end of the Whirlpool line, but still... As
another poster has already stated, you could spend the money and time fixing
this and then have something else go out a month later.

Unless you have some compelling reason to keep your old dishwasher, I would
put the money toward a new unit.