On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:26:59 -0600, "Patrick Piper"
wrote:

I must have missed the original poster's question, but here is what I do.
I've made a number of jewelry boxes and musical instrument cases. I
line/pad them using foam core board, double-sided outdoor carpet tape and
the cloth/velvet of your choice. You can buy foam core board at your local
craft store or art supply store. I use 1/8" thick for small projects and
3/16" or 1/4" for larger projects. Depending on the thickness or nap of the
cloth I cut the foam core board slightly undersize. Maybe 1/8" to 1/4"
narrower for each dimension. I use outdoor double-sided carpet tape and
apply a layer on one side of the foam core board. You can use varying
widths of tape to cover the entire piece so there won't be any undulations
in the cloth. I peel the backing off the tape and lay the taped foam core
board onto the wrong side of the cloth. I flip it over and smooth out any
wrinkles. Then I tape the back side of the foam core board. I trim the
edges of the cloth leaving about 1" of cloth and clip the corners. Peel the
backing off the tape and fold the edges of the cloth to the back side and
you are done. The carpet tape left showing on the back is usually enough to
stick it down. You can also run a bead of a good craft glue around the edge
of the back side.

Pat

I just asked my wife, the fabric expert, and she had several
suggestions for lining boxes. First, don't use regular velvet. It's
lightweight and almost flimsy. Cotton velveteen gives a velvet look
and is more substantial. (Upholstery velvet is sturdier than regular
velvet, but it doesn't give as lush a look.)

Second, use a glue like Fabric Tak which is designed for gluing fabric
unobtrusively. Apply it thinly at critical points.

If you're really concerned about the project lasting, put a layer of
acid-free cardboard between the wood and the velvet.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent