Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:12:39 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

Silvan wrote:
The funny thing is they are upgrading the whole camp to have running water
and septic systems. The EPA or CDC or some environmental health study
people are making them get rid of the latrines.

Give me a break. When I was in the Boy Scouts, we cleaned the latrines
at summer camp every day with scrub brushes and pine soap. They were a
hell of a lot cleaner, odor-free, and hygenic than a lot of gas station
bathrooms I've been in.

Sounds a lot cleaner than the restrooms in National Forest and State
Forest areas here in AZ. I have encountered the "natrural composting"
latrines that the enviro-wackos are advocating, and they stink, literally.
No thanks.

As long as they're not upstream of the water
supply, it's a non issue. Where do people think the wild animals in the
woods take a crap?

Silvan wrote:
The funny thing is they are upgrading the whole camp to have running water
and septic systems. The EPA or CDC or some environmental health study
people are making them get rid of the latrines.

Give me a break. When I was in the Boy Scouts, we cleaned the latrines
at summer camp every day with scrub brushes and pine soap. They were a
hell of a lot cleaner, odor-free, and hygenic than a lot of gas station
bathrooms I've been in. As long as they're not upstream of the water
supply, it's a non issue. Where do people think the wild animals in the
woods take a crap?

Sssshhh! For God's sake don't tell the EPA!

--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Mark Jerde wrote:
Joe wrote:
Do get yourself a gateway router to use as a firewall and

eliminate
the need to install that dreadful PPOE and Verizon software.

Do tell me more about this please... Just got DSL and was thinking
of using the provided modem/router combo unit for the house as it

is
both wired and wireless.

In Maryland, near Washington DC, Verizon sends new DSL customers a
combination DSL modem / router / 4-port hub / wireless hub. At least

that's
what they sent friends of mine, who I help get connected three

weekends ago.
It was relatively painless to get set up, although it did take one

call to
tech support. The user name and password for the modem wasn't

included in
the documentation.

-- Mark

I live in NW Virginia just outside DC and am confronted with the same
request for a user name and password. Do you remember what they are?
And, what did you use (in Linux) to connect to Verizon? I am running
Fedora 3. Please just let me know. Thanks, Cliff

I am currently using Verizon DSL without any problem, and I am on
their $29.99 plan. The price is right, and the speed is good.

Initially I had some wiring problem in my house that prevented me from
getting a DSL signal (even with filters installed in all phones).
Something
to do with the hardwired phone line to the water-supply company was
messing thing up. Verizon techician came over (for a fee) and install
DSL splitter box to separate the DSL line from other phone lines, and
the
problem was fixed for good.

The only "issue" that I have is that Verizon requires me to keep their
local
phone service in order to use their $29.99 DSL service. This is fair.
But
this also means that I lose the incentive to replace Verizon local/long
distance service with Vonage local/long distance VoIP (voice over IP)
basic plan that is really cheap. Not a big deal. I still will be able
to call
long distance using the VoIP service from SkyPe (that is also really
cheap).
Now, I just need to get done with my project of rewiring my house for
phone/LAN; then I will have time to use the service from SkyPe (too
many
projects, too little time).

Jay Chan

Verizon DSL Brandystew Home Repair 16 November 26th 04 02:39 PM
Cell phone signal question WbSearch Electronics Repair 9 August 12th 04 03:39 AM
OT - Man angry at Verizon hurls phones Rich Woodworking 76 May 19th 04 03:16 AM