Mark Jerde wrote:
Joe wrote:
Do get yourself a gateway router to use as a firewall and

eliminate
the need to install that dreadful PPOE and Verizon software.

Do tell me more about this please... Just got DSL and was thinking
of using the provided modem/router combo unit for the house as it

is
both wired and wireless.

In Maryland, near Washington DC, Verizon sends new DSL customers a
combination DSL modem / router / 4-port hub / wireless hub. At least

that's
what they sent friends of mine, who I help get connected three

weekends ago.
It was relatively painless to get set up, although it did take one

call to
tech support. The user name and password for the modem wasn't

included in
the documentation.

-- Mark

I live in NW Virginia just outside DC and am confronted with the same
request for a user name and password. Do you remember what they are?
And, what did you use (in Linux) to connect to Verizon? I am running
Fedora 3. Please just let me know. Thanks, Cliff