Brandystew

Default Verizon DSL

Does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Thanks

(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)
Travis Jordan

Brandystew wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Thanks

(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)

www.dslreports.com

MLD

"Brandystew" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Thanks

(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)

Have had it about a year now. Has been trouble free for me. Since I am
reasonably near a Verizon station I have been able to get the speed upgrades
as they have been offered. Right now it is close to 1500 kbs download and
384 kbs upload. Also, if Verizon is your phone provider than you get a
discount by putting the phone, wireless and DSL on the same bill.
MLD

F.H.

Brandystew wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Quite pleased in the ways others have noted. Put it off for way to long.
Dropped one phone line and Earthlink now we have two computers and a
house full of phones all on one line and are paying less. Wireless from
one computer to the other. Sweet.

smithfarms pure kona

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:23:00 GMT, "F.H."
wrote:

Brandystew wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Quite pleased in the ways others have noted. Put it off for way to

long.
Dropped one phone line and Earthlink now we have two computers and

house full of phones all on one line and are paying less. Wireless

from
one computer to the other. Sweet.

I too have Verizon DSL and am extremely pleased with the DSL service.
However, I do not think highly of the tech people at the other end of
the phone, when I do have a problem. ( I am also a stockholder in
Verizon and have though of writing the company g and mentioning that
they could upgrade the first line techs.)

For example, I wanted to find the rules on sending out bunches of
email and the person I spoke to told me "for sure" where I would find
the information and we hung up and then he was wrong. Another time I
had trouble downloading the "support center" and called and again the
person told me what to do and it was wrong.

Thankfully their DSL works well. I am grateful for it. We are in a
very rural place so perhaps that would excuse something, but I think
they could do better with the people who answer the phones.

aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
dadiOH

Brandystew wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Yes

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

F.H.

wrote:

Brandystew wrote:

[...]

Aloha? Pure Kona? Whew! Had a 70's flashback there for a minute. G.
My interaction with Verizon so far has been excellent (although sparse).
After Earthlink outsourced all the jobs here (including my blind
nephew who was several times employee of the month) to God knows where
it the service was sad. Talking to someone half way around the world
who's native language is not english. Took me hours to get service
disconnected. Won't miss Earthlink.
MUADIB®

Does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Verizon's DSL service has been literally flawless to me. I've
been on it since May this year. Their Phone service is ok too I
suppose, I only use local service on the phone and have all long
distance locked out ( cell phones are great for cheeeeeep LD). The
only Issue I have had with Verizon to this day, is that they will let
any ole yahoo add services to your existing phone service without the
account holders permission.
I keep getting bills with crap on it that I never ordered, OK
'd, or anything. I know how it happens now, and have it "fixed" they
say with a total lockout for any changes to my bill without MY
permission. That means they MUST now ask for verification of who you
are before they will change anything now...........I highly recommend
this to ALL people with ANY phone service.
Here's how stuff like this happens................
My Wife's Daughter screwed up and did some "moving" and ended up
having to move back to TX from Florida after just a few weeks. WE
afforded them a place to stay ( our home ) so they could get their act
back together and get a place to live and such. While they were here ,
she was online whenever she could find a reason to be, and did some of
those "win a free.........." by filling out this survey, and some
other silly crap that popped up and intrigued her............no
telling how many of these she did respond to, but at least one or two.
In the "win a free........." agreement, that you have to OK at
the survey or whatever, there's a little clause that signs you up for
some third party voicemail crap from a company called OAN. She just
entered the local Phone number she was using and it slapped on the
14.95 a month.....................to MY bill. Not hers mind
you...............
After calling the given numbers for the phone company they
said that using your phone number to "apply" for things is legally ok
no matter who is using it. The Goofball I was talking to named "Risa"
told me my phone number was just like using a credit card number. once
you give it out, anyone can use it for whatever they want.......and
that all the company that is charging has to do is send the bill to
the phone company and they are obliged to charge it to that phone
number............What a CROCK huh?
It took me two months of billing cycles to kill this "service"
that was added to my bill by an unauthorized person. I had to demand
the phone company "put a note on my account for a lockout to any
changes by anyone other than myself". Yeah,...............not even my
Wife can change it without me there.
This almost caused me to change my DSL service over to SBC. I
may still do that. SBC is much cheaper around here, and has gone much
cheaper since I signed up with Verizon.
This doesn't even explain to me how a child can add LD to my
line two years ago either. All of this was within the last couple of
months.
Anybody have any input on SBC in the DFW metroplex in
TEXAS????

Thanks for allowing my to use up some Bandwidth.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Jeff Wisnia

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

OSPAM (Brandystew) writes:

Does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Thanks

I have had them for almost 2.5 years.
100% reliable -- only downtime I had was when cleaning people
disconnected wire.

Affordable. Good speed. Great customer support. No download limits and
no blocked ports (except port 80, I think).

Also, deal has gotten better with time.
After the initial special offer expired, I was paying $39.95/month for
768/128Kbps. Then about a year later, they lowered price to $34.95 and
upped speed to 1500/128Kbps. A couple of months ago, I got another
"freebie" with the price lowered to $29.95 and speed hiked to
1500/384Kbps.

Even better, Verizon is right now sending trucks all over my
neighborhood installing fiber. The word is that we will be the first
community in MA with Verizon fiber to the home beginning by end of the
year. Speeds up to 15Mbps for maybe $10-20 more than DSL (and about
the cost of cable) -- competition is great

In summary, no complaints.

I'm in MA too (Winchester) and didn't have any luck using Verison DSL
when I tried it a couple of years ago. Our home was just too far from
the central station and it didn't work much better than dialup. The
techs tried changing the pairs they were using a couple of times with no
improvement.

We were also getting a trememdous amount of 60 Hz common mode leakage on
our phone lines when the weather was wet. I measured about 50 volts p-p
to ground with a scope, and that much common mode signal created a hell
of a hum in our fancier line powered phones. (The plain old "dumb"
phones took it fine without humming.)

The Verizon techs told me that that Verizon wasn't going to spend any
money trying to upgrade the copper lines, they were waiting for the
fibre you mentioned is now being put in.

So I switched everything over to our cable TV provider (AT&T, now
Comcast) and we now use them for TV, internet and telephone. Works fine
for me. I just checked it; 809 download speed 231 upload speed.

I do use DSL in our little business'location the speeds I get there are
about a third of what I just mentioned for the cable connection. And
there are times when the DSL line seems to "go dead" for 30 seconds or
so a few times an hour, but then comes back fine. I never see that kind
of thing at home with our cable connection.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Red Neckerson

"MLD" wrote

"Brandystew" wrote in message

Does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Have had it about a year now. Has been trouble free for me. Since I am
reasonably near a Verizon station I have been able to get the speed
upgrades
as they have been offered. Right now it is close to 1500 kbs download and
384 kbs upload.

How do you know what the speed is? What I mean, is, how do you check?

I click on mine and it says Speed: 100.0Mbps

(BTW, I have Verizon DSL also)

Chet Hayes

"Red Neckerson" wrote in message news:n1jpd.3730$6m2.1423@trnddc04...
"MLD" wrote

"Brandystew" wrote in message

Does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Have had it about a year now. Has been trouble free for me. Since I am
reasonably near a Verizon station I have been able to get the speed
upgrades
as they have been offered. Right now it is close to 1500 kbs download and
384 kbs upload.

How do you know what the speed is? What I mean, is, how do you check?

I click on mine and it says Speed: 100.0Mbps

(BTW, I have Verizon DSL also)

DSLreports.com has some test utilities that will measure the speed
Dr. Hardcrab

"Chet Hayes" wrote

DSLreports.com has some test utilities that will measure the speed

Cool! Thanks!!

Ran the test and I am getting 557 down and 130 up.

Now, I don't know if that is good or not.......

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

Ran the test and I am getting 557 down and 130 up.

Now, I don't know if that is good or not.......

Depends on what you signed up for. I have SBC and a 1200/128 plan. I
consistantly get 1280 or so down. If you are not getting what you are
paying for, check into the with their support. Do anothr test to verify the
speed as sometimes you can get a slow server in the loop.

MLD

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Chet Hayes" wrote

DSLreports.com has some test utilities that will measure the speed

Cool! Thanks!!

Ran the test and I am getting 557 down and 130 up.

Now, I don't know if that is good or not.......

Depends on what you have been promised. If it is, call Verizon billing to
see if you're within the range to qualify for a speed upgrade (now at 1500
kbs down and 384 kbs up). If it is less than what you should be getting-go
find out why.
MLD