Jeff Wisnia

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

OSPAM (Brandystew) writes:

Does anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Thanks

I have had them for almost 2.5 years.
100% reliable -- only downtime I had was when cleaning people
disconnected wire.

Affordable. Good speed. Great customer support. No download limits and
no blocked ports (except port 80, I think).

Also, deal has gotten better with time.
After the initial special offer expired, I was paying $39.95/month for
768/128Kbps. Then about a year later, they lowered price to $34.95 and
upped speed to 1500/128Kbps. A couple of months ago, I got another
"freebie" with the price lowered to $29.95 and speed hiked to
1500/384Kbps.

Even better, Verizon is right now sending trucks all over my
neighborhood installing fiber. The word is that we will be the first
community in MA with Verizon fiber to the home beginning by end of the
year. Speeds up to 15Mbps for maybe $10-20 more than DSL (and about
the cost of cable) -- competition is great

In summary, no complaints.

I'm in MA too (Winchester) and didn't have any luck using Verison DSL
when I tried it a couple of years ago. Our home was just too far from
the central station and it didn't work much better than dialup. The
techs tried changing the pairs they were using a couple of times with no
improvement.

We were also getting a trememdous amount of 60 Hz common mode leakage on
our phone lines when the weather was wet. I measured about 50 volts p-p
to ground with a scope, and that much common mode signal created a hell
of a hum in our fancier line powered phones. (The plain old "dumb"
phones took it fine without humming.)

The Verizon techs told me that that Verizon wasn't going to spend any
money trying to upgrade the copper lines, they were waiting for the
fibre you mentioned is now being put in.

So I switched everything over to our cable TV provider (AT&T, now
Comcast) and we now use them for TV, internet and telephone. Works fine
for me. I just checked it; 809 download speed 231 upload speed.

I do use DSL in our little business'location the speeds I get there are
about a third of what I just mentioned for the cable connection. And
there are times when the DSL line seems to "go dead" for 30 seconds or
so a few times an hour, but then comes back fine. I never see that kind
of thing at home with our cable connection.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia