Greg Millen

Default BUFF - coming together

I've thrown together a page with pics of BUFF being assembled. Note the
savage shop-dog guarding BUFF.

I notice in one of the pics that the table looks small with the blade
raised, the blade is a 12" Freud. The table is actually quite large, maybe
it's because the extensions had not been fitted. I still haven't cut timber
and have had a few teething problems; the Suva guard (overhead guard) had a
weld preventing the cover lock knob from fully engaging so I had to re-tap
the hole. I was also supplied with the fence rail for a machine without a
sliding table, so it has to be replaced (2 days sigh).

http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/buff/index.htm

Although the manuals are typical Taiwanese output, they give no indication
of tuning the sliding table to fit, although they do mention part way
through the assembly list "at this point a lot of adjustments should be
made" (with no indication of what they may be).

Still, I figure it's a good way to get to know what makes BUFF tick.

Short stats:
12" blade
240v
3hp
15amp draw on start
table is 48" x 30"
can crosscut a 4' x 8' panel
arbor speed 4000rpm
50" rip to right of blade
riving knife travels with blade
magnetic switch

--

Greg

Unisaw A100

I dunno Greg. To me by the look on Shop-Dawg's face I'm
thinking he/she wants to be the first to fire it up/make it
go whirr.

UA100
Greg Millen

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
I dunno Greg. To me by the look on Shop-Dawg's face I'm
thinking he/she wants to be the first to fire it up/make it
go whirr.

UA100

Nah, she's a bench dog

;-)

--
Greg

Ba r r y

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:58:59 -0600, Unisaw A100
wrote:

I dunno Greg. To me by the look on Shop-Dawg's face I'm
thinking he/she wants to be the first to fire it up/make it
go whirr.

If that dog ever needs a home... G

Barry
Matt

Looks like the new toy is comming together

In the pictures I notice the grease (or what ever) on - what did you use to
get it off?

I am near the end of putting a new 14" King 1433 bandsaw with riser block
kit together and the table was coated with a similar looking protective
coating.
I used easy green to clean it off but it took a real long time - the longest
part of the assembly.

"Greg Millen" wrote in message
[...]

Larry Jaques

"Greg Millen" wrote in message
I've thrown together a page with pics of BUFF being assembled. Note the
savage shop-dog guarding BUFF.

I notice in one of the pics that the table looks small with the blade
raised, the blade is a 12" Freud.

WTH you gotsk a plywood blade on that beast for, son?

The table is actually quite large, maybe
it's because the extensions had not been fitted. I still haven't cut
timber and have had a few teething problems; the Suva guard (overhead
guard) had a weld preventing the cover lock knob from fully engaging so I
had to re-tap the hole. I was also supplied with the fence rail for a
machine without a sliding table, so it has to be replaced (2 days sigh).

Where's your rag, magnet, and catch paper on that process, sir?
tsk tsk tsk

http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/buff/index.htm

Although the manuals are typical Taiwanese output, they give no indication
of tuning the sliding table to fit, although they do mention part way
through the assembly list "at this point a lot of adjustments should be
made" (with no indication of what they may be).

Making the slider flat and parallel with the saur table but an RCH
higher. (Unfortunately, the Taiwanese don't know what an RCH is.)

Still, I figure it's a good way to get to know what makes BUFF tick.

That's always good.

Short stats:
12" blade
240v
3hp
15amp draw on start
table is 48" x 30"
can crosscut a 4' x 8' panel
arbor speed 4000rpm
50" rip to right of blade
riving knife travels with blade
magnetic switch

Good stuff. Humongous table, plenty of power, wide rip/crosscut,
and a sliding table to boot. Very cool.

Yeah, you suck.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

LRod

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:43:04 -0500, "Matt"
wrote:

Looks like the new toy is comming together

In the pictures I notice the grease (or what ever) on - what did you use to
get it off?

I am near the end of putting a new 14" King 1433 bandsaw with riser block
kit together and the table was coated with a similar looking protective
coating.
I used easy green to clean it off but it took a real long time - the longest
part of the assembly.

Kerosene is the best de-cosmoliner by far. Nothing else comes close.
You can get it in pint cans at the borg. Last you long time.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Ba r r y

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:02:48 +0000, LRod
wrote:

Kerosene is the best de-cosmoliner by far. Nothing else comes close.
You can get it in pint cans at the borg. Last you long time.

Ditto.

Barry
Greg Millen

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message ...
"Greg Millen" wrote in message

WTH you gotsk a plywood blade on that beast for, son?

Uhh, cuz I'll be cuttin' plywood first?

Where's your rag, magnet, and catch paper on that process, sir?
tsk tsk tsk

cutting oil and filing fell onto the rag that was in place. There was only a
little bit to cut. I have since cleaned and waxed the cr*p outta the top.

Making the slider flat and parallel with the saur table but an RCH
higher. (Unfortunately, the Taiwanese don't know what an RCH is.)

I used a 6' straight edge to tune the slider to within .05 "RCH", parallel
across the entire TS top. Just enough space for a dieting pice of light to
squeeze through.

Good stuff. Humongous table, plenty of power, wide rip/crosscut,
and a sliding table to boot. Very cool.

I am trez chirpy.

Yeah, you suck.

Not really, I paid for what I got. I wish I could claim a gloat but I can't.

======
For any smokers reading this: I gave up smoking 2 years, 11 months 3 weeks
and 14 hours ago. Since then I have recovered 13 weeks of my life and NOT
smoked 27165 cigarettes which has saved me AUS$8,829.09.

Somehow the woman-to-be-feared claims %50 of this in shoes (don't ask - I
believe it has something to do with wife tax), the rest of it goes in tools
ie BUFF.

Greg

Unisaw A100

Greg Millen wrote:
Disclaimer: Please assign this all the credit you normally would when a
scientific test is conducted upside down with a few swipes of a smelly rag
(with a dog nosing unprotected parts whilst you lean into the cabinet).

That could lead to a shop accident.

UA100, who has hurt hisself with a machine without a cutter
installed and with the plug undone from the recepticle that
make the machine go whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

LRod

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 09:26:35 +1100, "Greg Millen"
wrote:

For any smokers reading this: I gave up smoking 2 years, 11 months 3 weeks
and 14 hours ago. Since then I have recovered 13 weeks of my life and NOT
smoked 27165 cigarettes which has saved me AUS$8,829.09.

Somehow the woman-to-be-feared claims %50 of this in shoes (don't ask - I
believe it has something to do with wife tax), the rest of it goes in tools
ie BUFF.

23 Mar 1976 for me. I can no longer calculate how many years it's
been; I guess I'm coming up on 29. I never tried to calculate how much
money I saved. When I quit, Marlboros were about $3.50 a carton.

Congratulations to you.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Swingman

"Greg Millen" wrote in message

For any smokers reading this: I gave up smoking 2 years, 11 months 3 weeks
and 14 hours ago. Since then I have recovered 13 weeks of my life and NOT
smoked 27165 cigarettes which has saved me AUS$8,829.09.

1 AM, Nov 17, 1991 - 13 years, 4 days, 8 hours and 30 minutes ... after 30
years of puffing.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Paul Kierstead

In article 1100988805.7wg3BWv0k+Aamf4zAAV0EQ@teranews,
"Greg Millen" wrote:

(with a dog nosing unprotected parts whilst you lean into the cabinet).

Dude, keep your pants on while your stripping the table! Prevents all
sorts of nasty injuries! At least you didn't post a picture!

Or did I misunderstand?

PK
Ron Robinson

"Greg Millen" wrote in message ...
I've thrown together a page with pics of BUFF being assembled. Note the
savage shop-dog guarding BUFF.

Great looking saw...Great looking dog.

I agree...you suck.

Have fun and be safe.

Ron
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 09:26:35 +1100, "Greg Millen"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message ...
"Greg Millen" wrote in message

WTH you gotsk a plywood blade on that beast for, son?

Uhh, cuz I'll be cuttin' plywood first?

Thortchazadwanna cut some real wood first. YMOV.

I used a 6' straight edge to tune the slider to within .05 "RCH", parallel
across the entire TS top. Just enough space for a dieting pice of light to
squeeze through.

Bueno, bwana.

Yeah, you suck.

Not really, I paid for what I got. I wish I could claim a gloat but I can't.

I wasn't referring to any sort of gloat.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --